The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Michael Hedges Paper

Hello all,

I've been posting here about my thesis work on Michael Hedges and am happy to announce that I paper on Hedges that I wrote en route to my thesis has been published. It can be found here: www.fingerstylejournal.com . In short, this article investigates Hedges's career before he signed with Windham Hill.

Thanks,

Dylan
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Michael Hedges

Congratulations on having your paper published.

I can get to the "Current Issue" page but don't see anything that can be accessed from there.

I'm guessing this is a subscription only site......?
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Yes it is part of a journal for which you pay by the issue. You don't need a subscription per se, you just need to buy the single edition. For what it's worth, the journal is an amazing resource for guitarists ( I don't write the whole thing, I'm just a first time guest author). It includes a lot of interesting interviews with guitarists and lots of tabs. I've discovered quite a few gems in these journals. Btw, each journal is about 96 pages so you get a lot of bang for your buck!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Dylan

Being a big Michael Hedges fan I went ahead and bought a copy of the magazine. Interesting back story details that you were able to find. I wonder if you tried to contact his ex-wife Mindy. My Sister-In-Law studied at Peabody Conservatory when she and Michael were there and knew her at the time. I've come across YouTube videos from the Varsity Theater and they're well worth checking out.

If you have online citations you should consider adding to his Wikipedia page.

If you know the folks at Fingerstyle Guitar Journal here is some feedback from me. It would be helpful if in addition to the cover photo for each publication that they also included the table of contents. I might be more inclined to buy a back issue or two more. They do list the articles on their Facebook page but they should do it on their website too. Lastly, 8 bucks is kind of pricey for a digital only copy. I thought about subscribing buy I wasn't sure what I'd be getting. Maybe they could offer that if you buy the current issue for 8 bucks and like it you can get 8 bucks credit if you decide after viewing it that you want to subscribe. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, well done!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:12 PM

I discovered Hedges through his best friend. I wonder if you spoke to Manring?

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 07-17-2018, 08:27 PM

I agree with JimmerO, some thought needs to go into marketing.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Dylan thanks for the heads up and well done on your research, I'd be interested to read it.

I used to get Fingerstyle guitar magazine on occasions (very hard to get in the UK!) and it was a fascinating magazine with of course a CD of pieces included as well. This online successor sounds great to, but I have to agree 100% with both these comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerO View Post
Dylan
It would be helpful if in addition to the cover photo for each publication that they also included the table of contents. I might be more inclined to buy a back issue or two more. They do list the articles on their Facebook page but they should do it on their website too. Lastly, 8 bucks is kind of pricey for a digital only copy.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Thank you for the thoughts, everyone. I've talked to Manring and reached out to Mindy. Also, I can pass the information along to the publisher. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Don't know if you came across the Stropes website in your searches but there's some good info about Michael Hedges (and Leo Kottke and others):

http://www.stropes.com/index.php?glbm=1&fa=7&bkid=1

http://www.stropes.com/index.php?glbm=19&fa=7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion