The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Please identify Garnet Rogers' guitar

Garnet Rogers played today at the Woodstock (IL) Folk Festival. Like all of us, he's getting older, but he still sings like an angel and plays like a demon. He was not plugged in, and both of his guitars sounded terrific. He brought his own mics with him and I assume they were condenser mics, since he asked Maurice the sound man for phantom power on both.

My question concerns the guitar he is playing in the attached photo. I was shooting through the vertical bars on a railing around the gazebo in the town square, so try to ignore the vertical lines. This looks to me like an older Gibson, but I can't identify the body style. Whatever it is, it sounded great.

IMG_6064 (2) by Peter M, on Flickr
Old 07-15-2018, 08:57 PM

Looks like a vintage J-35 to me. Very cool guitar!!

Here is a picture of a 1939

Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 PM

I agree, it appears to be a 30's vintage J-35. At first I thought it might be a smaller model, since it looks fairly small in his hands, but then I remembered that both of the Rogers brothers were big old boys.

Never met Garnet, but I did meet Stan.

whm
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM

downtime, I think you might have nailed it! Let's see what other responses we get.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 AM

Saw Garnet many years back in a small venue. I was no more than 15 feet from him and could hear everything coming out of the 4 or 5 vintage Gibsons he had with him. None were the one in the pic as all were in the “dark” color (J35 or 45, I assume?)

He switched between all guitars and they all sounded incredibly rich and powerful in his expert hands. He told a fairly long story about his brother and was sporadically strumming a basic G chord. I still, to this day, recall that simple G as the most beautiful chord I ever heard.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM

I know its not the guitar in question with this thread, but . . .

Here he is at Stanfest a few years ago:

That's a Voyage-air VAOM-04 in his lap. He had Harvey Leach put a K&K pickup in it & it sounded very good in both the workshop & main stage performances. It was a VERY COLD & VERY RAINY festival that year. I think he made a smart decision on which guitar to bring. (I brought my new VAOM-02 with me that year, too. :-)

Frank
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM

Garnet Rogers is of course a confirmed vintage Gibson enthusiast.

He needs more Martins in his stable, though; last I heard, he has but one--a 1943 000-18 that he says once belonged to the guy who wrote and performed "Convoy" (William Dale Fries, Jr.--AKA, C.W. McCall).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion