The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Emerald X10 Pickups

I get using the Humbucker. But I can't even visualize how you would connect the midi to a pc. A USB is more my speed. This round plug with 36 pins kinda freaks me out. Even if I could get the round plug hammered into a square USB port, what non-mac software would be able to see and use the data?

Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

According to Graph Tech customer support, the Hexpander, which is apparently what's built into the X10, is analog and needs to be plugged into a pitch to MIDI converter.

The only option they gave me was the Roland GR55 which costs $700.

You can't run it into a MIDI in or USB port.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Me thinks it is actually a special "freak out" feature to you know.. freak out someone... maybe some like.. jwellsy or not.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Guest 928

ARE THOSE DRYWALL SCREWS HOLDING THE UNIT ON?!
Old 06-24-2018, 03:24 PM

Everything I read about midi creates more questions than it answers. Does the midi world ever give a complete straight answer? I need a Dummies book.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
ARE THOSE DRYWALL SCREWS HOLDING THE UNIT ON?!
Uh huh. Kinda stands out.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:59 PM

I have had lots of midi in my life over the years...electronic hand drums, wind controllers, keyboards, sound modules, and yes various midi guitar setups...fun stuff for layering sounds and filling up music space.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Guest 928

I've had two guitars with midi, one wood one CF. I sold the wood, removed the midi from the CF and went with an easy PU. The midi is fun, but I found it also dimished my already-limited guitar-play.

The midi was sort of like when I found Lark in the Morning, a catalogue of instruments from around the world. I had a hay-day with exotic instruments from around the world. But during that period, my guitar playing did not advance. Going electric is a thrill for me, going midi was way too busy and diverting.

And besides that, I would not trust any instrument that had been pierced with drywall screws.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
Uh huh. Kinda stands out.
Screams 'prototype' to me. Probably would have been better to wait for 'pre-production sample' before posting that picture...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had a hay-day with exotic instruments from around the world. But during that period, my guitar playing did not advance.
Precisely why I will be shedding an electric 12-string, a ukulele, two lap steels and a mandola in the not-too-distant future.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-25-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Screams 'prototype' to me. Probably would have been better to wait for 'pre-production sample' before posting that picture...
Any electronics grafted on to a guitar as beautiful as the X10 won’t look great. As long as the screw heads are flush, I think they won’t stand out in person. Also, the midi port is in the least noticeable part of the guitar.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have had lots of midi in my life over the years...electronic hand drums, wind controllers, keyboards, sound modules, and yes various midi guitar setups...fun stuff for layering sounds and filling up music space.
Yeah, the MIDI stuff is handy. I needed a Tuba Player and MIDI saved me from having to drive to the local High School and drag some kid out of the Marching Band.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Yeah, the MIDI stuff is handy. I needed a Tuba Player and MIDI saved me from having to drive to the local High School and drag some kid out of the Marching Band.
Tuba players are just not that convenient it seems. Darn it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber