The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default What's this rubber trim piece on my Calton case called?

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/ddzJGjP

Anybody know what this trim piece is called? I bought a used Calton case that's missing a few pieces of it and I'd like to buy some more to get it back to the condition it ought to be in.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepeacock View Post
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/ddzJGjP

Anybody know what this trim piece is called? I bought a used Calton case that's missing a few pieces of it and I'd like to buy some more to get it back to the condition it ought to be in.

Thanks!
Why not ask Calton?

https://www.calton-cases.com/contact/
Old 05-31-2020, 03:32 PM

Gasket, I believe..
Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is basically a weather seal. There are a bunch of other names you could call it but I would call/email Calton and see what they use - maybe they will sell/send you some.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 PM

Right. Both the gasket and the weather seal are correct terms for that piece.

whm
Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Sent them a message but haven't heard back. Word on the internet is they're not great at replying to those, so I figured I'd come here for some assistance.

Thanks for the replies everyone, if anyone knows where to buy this specific type and size of weather seal, I'm scouring the internet and not having a ton of luck.

Thanks again!

LP
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Luke, in my experience sending emails to companies that operate with a small group of employees is not the quickest way to hear back on anything. Dig up their phone number and call. Even if you have to leave a message the chances are that you’ll get a reply.

And don’t be afraid to be a squeaky wheel - if you don’t hear back in a few days, call back. Then again.

To me that seems like a more likely way to get the gasket you need than looking for something similar online.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
....sending emails to companies that operate with a small group of employees is not the quickest way to hear back on anything. Dig up their phone number and call.....
Just emphasizing this point. As someone who runs a small business, random emails that come in are one among dozens or hundreds that arrive daily and go to the bottom of my priority list. They are usually semi-spam from someone trying to sell me something I don't want or someone looking for free advice from my engineering business. A call by a human gets my attention, however. Yeah, I know it is "old school" but true nonetheless.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Call Matt at Calton. He’ll help.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 06-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

They have been closed due to the virus and are still operating with a much reduced workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Luke, in my experience sending emails to companies that operate with a small group of employees is not the quickest way to hear back on anything. Dig up their phone number and call. Even if you have to leave a message the chances are that you’ll get a reply.

And don’t be afraid to be a squeaky wheel - if you don’t hear back in a few days, call back. Then again.

To me that seems like a more likely way to get the gasket you need than looking for something similar online.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion