The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

I was just bragging about my '81 Guild D-46 in the Guild vs. Martin thread. Then I came here, and got to wondering about how much it weighs. It's a heavy old thing, that's for sure.

So I weighed it. It's 5.6 lbs. Yep, it ain't light. Swamp ash back/sides with a heavy gloss finish will do that.

But it's my favorite guitar, and I've had it for 20 years. I also had a D-50 that was just as heavy, but it and the 46 were about the same guitar, so I sold it.

I also have a little all-hog 00 Martin that is light as a feather. I love it too. Heavy or light, doesn't matter to me.

On the other hand, I'm very picky about neck shapes/sizes these days. I know a lot of guys don't care one bit about that.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I had a Martin 000-15 that surprised me with how light it was.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Weight doesn’t matter to me. My old Gibson Gospel is pretty heavy, especially with its old UST and pre-amp. My Gibson LG2 that I’m in the process of selling is light as a feather. Both guitars play great and sound incredible. I’m a 270lb guy, so sitting down with a guitar where 5lbs is considered heavy doesn’t make a difference to me.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:20 PM
Guest 33123

Try a National!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 PM

I have a nylon parlor, 2 lbs 0.06 oz. Hope to make one a little thinner and lighter, with an arm bevel. I have an issue with weight.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM

I bought a new Guild D-55 back in 1977.
Still have it and love it.

Yes, it's heavy compared to other guitars, but that has never bothered me a bit.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

since having owned a couple 4 lb and under, i'm definitely in favor of that weight camp and the weight is one of the first of five questions i ask. i've passed on some really nice sounding guitars simply because they felt like a tank in my lap.

i've come to a similar weight limit range for open back banjos, 6 lb and under, don't care how great they sound.

there is just something a light instrument brings/adds, it may all be in my head but i look at it as a good personal issue to have.

d
Old 05-31-2020, 09:12 PM

I have a tiny crack in the side of my D-15M and the luthier said it is not uncommon as companies try to shave things thinner.
My Taylor 414 is lighter than my orpheum and my Martin, but I do not feel they are worse for the extra weight. My classical is very light.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM

Honestly, I have never noticed the weight of different acoustic guitars. It always puzzles me when this becomes an issue of debate. Try playing a 10 pound Les Paul or an electric bass for a while, an all acoustics feel light by comparison. Plus there is no correlation between lighter weight and better tone in my experience.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Honestly, I have never noticed the weight of different acoustic guitars. It always puzzles me when this becomes an issue of debate. Try playing a 10 pound Les Paul or an electric bass for a while, an all acoustics feel light by comparison. Plus there is no correlation between lighter weight and better tone in my experience.
I have never played electric, not even once. But I know they are much heavier than acoustics.

When I was first starting out 9 years back, there was a female student who came to the same group class I joined initially...and she had her father's Guild dreadnaught. It was Sitka over EIR and looked a bit like a Martin D-28. I remember holding it at the time and thinking it was very heavy, and I see several people in this thread commenting about the weight of their Guilds.

Anyone have a Bourgeois dread they can comment about ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-01-2020, 04:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I guess I've been inoculated against this. I still play my '74 Gibson Les Paul that tips the scales at 9.8lbs. Now, I no longer want to play it all night, but I do play it in sessions because it is a great guitar. I've migrated to an ES-335 that my wife gave me one Christmas as my home base, but it is in the 7-8lb. range as well. I also picked up a second LP, a 2018 Standard, that is weight-relieved and 7.8lbs, and that it far more fun for my mature back.

But going back to acoustics, I wouldn't deny that a lighter guitar is more fun, but sometimes you just need the acoustic girth of a dread. A rosewood dread is going to add some weight over a koa grand auditorium or a sapele grand concert. It's just the way it is. If you want what they've got you've got to adapt.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Brendan,

I am also sensitive to weight. I prefer guitars that are light. In addition to weight, I also am sensitive to how a guitar is balanced...if neck heavy, back to the shelf it goes.

I have played a few Bourgeois dreads, but have never owned one. Some felt like tanks, and others have been light feeling. I did not weigh any of them, so can only speak to the knee jerk reaction I had at the time.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 AM
Musical minimalist

The best sounding guitars I've owned and played have all been the most lightly buillt. As a dear friend and very well known builder says "to the point of implosion"

That's all I have to say about that

Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 AM

I have a 12 pound bass. Acoustics don't phase me.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 AM

I am gonna touch the 3rd rail. I think this chasing of maximally light by many players/makers will end in bellying, bridge lean, and early neck resets. In 10-15 yrs...we will see. Anecdotal, but I have been hearing of 10 yr old guitars needing neck resets...never used to hear of it at that age. Ya anecdotal but...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion