The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-31-2020, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Moving blankets as sound absorbers

Any comments, or recommendations? I'm thinking of using a few portable coat hangers with bath curtain hooks to hang the moving blankets to make a booth of sorts, and probably have the blankets hanging on both sides of coat hangers like these for stability.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Any comments, or recommendations? I'm thinking of using a few portable coat hangers with bath curtain hooks to hang the moving blankets to make a booth of sorts, and probably have the blankets hanging on both sides of coat hangers like these for stability.
Possibly better than nothing, but barely. You need full-band absorption. Blankets, foam, etc all tend to absorb the highs and sound "dead", but don't eliminate most trouble spots. There's lots of info about this on the web, here's one intro article by izotope.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/aco...ow-budget.html
Old 05-31-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Barry

Aloha Barry,

Not chasing you around the forum. Just some more thoughts.

Like you're considering, I started out using two layers of free moving blankets hung from grommets & shower hooks around where I tracked. I used mic stands to support it (I had many). It was cheap. The airspace I left between the blanket layers provided a minor acoustic advantage - like leaving space between a wall & monitors.

Yes, the blankets did help slightly but not completely. They did not provide early room reflection control or separation for the basses & lower mid's or the mid-high end of the spectrum that you can get from OC 703 broadband absorbers. Blankets only helped with the obvious mid-range frequencies & upper highs. You could hear it slightly in headphones.

Suggestion: SPL meter your garage to find out where the problem reflections are. Combined with the right program like Room EQ Wizard (REW), it graphically helps you see the scope & location of the issues. That was a revelation for me. I'm sure your garage is loaded with reflections that blankets alone won't fix. Cheap meters available at Radio Shack or online.

Solution: Yeah, do your portable blanket set up, and then order a box of these (6 in a box).

https://www.acoustimac.com/oc7032/

Enough to make three 4"x2'x4' OC 703 portable, free-standing, broadband absorbers. Two for in front of the mic's & one behind or above you. For $67 bucks as a start. Add on what you need from Walmart to make the panels & it's only a little above your $100. For What?

Much Better Room Control than Any Blankets Provide.

Note: I used the OC 703 FRK rigid fiberglass panels, 6 for $109. They have foil on one face which I used for bass traps & other applications. I only bought the 703 FRK. More versatile & not that more costly.

https://www.acoustimac.com/owens-corning-703-frk-6/

Believe me, anyone can make these DIY broadband absorbers. It's easy & cheap. Comparable manufactured panels go for $800+. Once you make one, Barry, you will breeeze through the next two in an afternoon. And being from Northern Jersey (former NYC Upper West Side guy here), you can probably find OC 703 FRK at an acoustic material supplier within driving distance to avoid shipping costs.

Give it a try, Barry. These panels will be much more convenient to move or store than the blanket stands your considering. More importantly, they'll really improve your recordings. I was shocked hearing my tracks the first time through great speakers & headphones using my DIY, portable OC 703 FRK broadband absorbers.

Just trying to help.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
These panels will be much more convenient to move...
Absolutely. I have 10 in my home studio and another 30 that are now "in residence" at a client's home studio. All 30 fit in my wife's Toyota Sienna.

Couch Standards
Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I have to make a "booth", not treat the entire garage. My son uses it as a gym also. Plus there is not heat so during the winter I want use it in the house. I'll look into the panels and see if I can make something similar to what Fred (islandguitar) uses. Thanks for the information!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 PM

I just made some, and have more materials on the way for more. I made frames from 1x4s, and they were easy to make if you have a circular or chop saw handy (tho not that hard to cut even by hand). By having frames, they were a bit sturdier, and I could wrap the fabric around them and just staple for a neat look without any adhesive. I did use a heavier but still breathable cotton/poly fabric that had better integrity (and looks) than burlap.

If you make your frames square, they'll stand up on their own, too. So you can just set them where you need them, then stand them out of the way when you're done.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I just made some, and have more materials on the way for more. I made frames from 1x4s, and they were easy to make if you have a circular or chop saw handy (tho not that hard to cut even by hand). By having frames, they were a bit sturdier, and I could wrap the fabric around them and just staple for a neat look without any adhesive. I did use a heavier but still breathable cotton/poly fabric that had better integrity (and looks) than burlap.

If you make your frames square, they'll stand up on their own, too. So you can just set them where you need them, then stand them out of the way when you're done.
Which panels did you buy?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 PM

Hey Barry...just to add in......from the Acoustimac site, which may help with

Q: What is the difference between the acoustic core materials? (owens corning, mineral wool and Eco core recycled insulation)

A: They all provide excellent absorption, but we offer our customers the choice for different reasons. Here are the main varying features to each of our insulation types: -Owens Corning 703 and 705 - Acoustimac offers this insulation as a choice mostly because of popular demand. For decades, Owens Corning rigid fiberglass insulation has been the mainstay of the industry. -Mineral Wool 1260 and 1280 (Rockwool/ Roxul) - This insulation is our primary production insulation because it outperforms Owens Corning 703 in sound absorption and is more eco friendly than OC703. -Acoustimac Eco core Insulation (4Lb) - is the best sound insulation we have to offer in terms of performance. It outperforms them both and is much more durable and does not irritate skin like fiberglass does. Not to mention it’s made of 100% recycled materials and is completely biodegradable.

My impression is that the Corning 703 is sturdier than the Eco Core, but, as has been mentioned with the Corning, it's a bit tough with fibers and needs gloves. The Eco Core, which I purchased is bio degradable/recyclable which was attractive, plus their claim that it's the best insulation (I'm in no position to judge!), but, it does need the frame for support IMO, for you to feel comfortable with setting them up without worry or issues. In other words their good, but a little "floppy" LOL!

Best,
Fred

:
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Why go through all the intermediary steps? Jump to the end game and either buy or make yourself a set of gobos.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-31-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Which panels did you buy?
I thought about buying, but with extra shelter-at-home time I decided to save a few bucks and make them myself. Happy to share pics if you want.

My first set actually used 6" (2 batts) of Rockwool Safe'n'Sound which you can get at the big box hardware store. Screwed together a rectangular frame of 1x6s, dropped in the insulation, and wrapped with poly/cotton cloth from the fabric store, stapled to the frame.

I'll use these in the corners as they're better for bass traps. I have some OC703 coming from a local insulation supply place that sells to the public; those will be 4" thick on the walls.

Tbh, the savings (especially if you have to special order the OC703 like I did) isn't quite as significant as some make it out to be. But the other advantage of DIY is you can do 4" thick panels (most commercial ones are 1" or 2"), and make them various sizes if you need to fit your space.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I got lucky and where I worked wanted to throw out these 6 ft high cubicle dividers covers in a burlap type material.... They work pretty good except for the wall and window behind me, I'll probably use a moving blanket on it...
Old 06-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I made my gobos, 6 total. They 2’ x 5’ x 4”, framed, with hinges to connect / disconnect them. I used roxul rockboard 80, 4” depth. Being hinged, I can arrange them in V or U shapes, and even put one on as a ceiling.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I imagine you've heard this before, but here's an example of what treatment did in my garage. I recorded something in the same spot before and after. The first pass is a mono recording, 1 mic, 18 inches away before treatment, empty garage. 2nd is same spot, etc, after treatment. 3rd pass is stereo mics, moved up to 8 inches from the guitar, after treatment.

BTW, Room EQ Wizard (REW) is free software that will help you measure your room and both help you know what you need, and help you quantify how well whatever you do is. So you can use it to see of blankets help, etc.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

The results of all that room analyzer software is highly dependent on where you sit in the room and what direction you are is facing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The results of all that room analyzer software is highly dependent on where you sit in the room and what direction you are is facing.

Agreed, pretty much the same as recording. You're going to pick up different room modes and reflections if you move even a little. But that in itself is educational.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD