The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 PM

Default Inexpensive Parlor for Beater (Gretsch Jim Dandy or Something Else?)

Last year I bought a Hex parlor as a beater, but it turned out be so good that I ended up installing a permanent pickup to use as a stage guitar. So I am once again in a search of a beater parlor that can withstand extreme climates, particularly in a hot desert.

After some research I am heavily leaning towards a Gretsch Jim Dandy (which is once again available) for the following reasons:

- 24" scale (can't deal with anything shorter)
- All-laminate body (that can withstand dramatic temp/humidity fluctuations)
- Unique tone (Neil Young's "Old Man" might sound really good on this)
- Parlor body for easy playing anywhere
- $169 street price

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 PM

One of the Recording King Dirty 30s models might be an alternative. I like the stenciled fret markers on those, reminiscent of a 50s Harmony Stella.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Default Check this out...

Tony P. Acoustic Tuesday on 6 acoustics under $230
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Plus one here for the Jim Dandy, I've really bonded with mine.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 PM

I recently bought a Loar LH-250-SN. All solid woods, long scale and sounds great. Below is a review of this guitar. I bought mine from a Reverb seller for $300.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...op-guitar.html
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-01-2020, 09:11 PM

I don’t know too many of the guitars in this group, but I took an RK Dirty 30s in a trade for gear last year. Was planning on just selling it, but it turned out to be a nice beater I could leave out on a stand and pick up on a whim. Plenty good so I took it to the luthier for some simple tweeting. Made it mush nicer to play. Put some new strings on it and it was most improved and is fun to have. Mine has a sound hole pick up too. Don’t use it much but it works like it’s supposed to. Great fo the porch or back yard. Took it on trips before trips ended for us for the time being. Perfect.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

I played a Jim Dandy a few days ago and it had a surprisingly nice tone. It would have absolutely needed some setup attention, but it was quite interesting and had a lot of personality for a sub-$200 guitar.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:46 AM

I've had a Jim Dandy (brown burst) for several years. Well put together, small size, and small frets. I'm used to playing dreadnoughts and of course it is a completely different animal. The tone of mine is kind of "boxy" but I think this is what it is designed for and quite appropriate for some songs/styles. I don't play it much, but it seems to be solidly built and is still in great shape.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Just thinking, I have an Ibanez PN15 Parlor (sunburst) also. Usually about a buck fifty, but I got mine with rewards points. It's about 2" taller and the lower bout is about 1 1/2" wider than the JD. Similar construction/finish quality with and more standard size acoustic frets. It seems to have a little more volume and a less boxy tone.

I also have a Luna Safari Muse, but the Jim Dandy and PN15 sound better. The Luna is noticeably smaller.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a Jim Dandy.

I definitely was after a laminate guitar that is less susceptible to temperature/humidity changes, something I can leave out of the case or gig bag and grab anytime I feel like playing in a hot and dry environment. So I had to rule out anything with a solid top, as I already have a solid-top parlor.

And I am curious about Jim Dandy's unique tone. If I end up not liking it in the long run, I can always give it away to a friend who could use one.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. I like the tone of single notes. I think for some types of acoustic blues stuff, the tone fits. Enjoy.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:29 PM

If you want something with a more modern/clean sound go for the Seagull Grand models or the A&L single 0. All can be had under 500$ without electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion