The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Question about D chord pull offs

On page 42 in Hanson's "Contemporary Travis Picking" there's an example of doing a pull off while pinching on a d chord. My problem is I can't seem to do the F# pull off on the high E string unless I lift my third finger off the B string. Any advice for doing this while fretting all three notes on the chord?
Thanks.
Tg
Old 11-06-2004, 12:32 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Practice. Slowly.
And relax. It will come. It's about developing finger independence and coordination.
I assume the problem is that your ring finger on the "b" string is muting the first string when your middle finger pulls off? Go REAL SLOW to see why that is happening. Most likely your ring finger is tilted a bit into the first string and muting it. You need to approach the strings with your finger tips 90 degrees to the fretboard to avoid muting. It is possible. Feels funny and hard a first- with a little practice you won't even remember having had difficulty with it.
No secret involved. You just need to become aware of what is causing the problem.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Jeff. I think you are exactly right. I have a tendency to flatten my fretting hand out and this sometimes results in muffled/muted strings. I will keep at it.
Tg
Old 11-06-2004, 08:21 AM

and something else you can do....

general practice principle...

not always relevant...but often is...

if you're having trouble doing something...

first try something simpler but related...

forget the exercise/song for a moment....

forget travis picking for a moment...

forget fretting the whole chord for a moment....

perhaps just play across xx0x32 and try the pull off....

do it with some rhythm....always practice with a definite rhythm....greatly helps preventing practice time from turning into 'desperate stabs at not screwing up' ...

so maybe

xx0xxx on beat 1

let ring...

xxxx3x on the & of beat 1

let ring...

xxxxx2 on beat 2

do the pull off on the & of beat 2

or maybe just use quarter notes first...

get it SOLID and 100%.....

perhaps do the same thing with

xx02x2 and the pull off....

then try the full D chord and p/o...

then try the full D chord with travis picking and the p/o

like JeffM said...finger independence...but you're trying something a bit simpler before you're trying the pull off with all fingers anchored.....

that process of turning one measure of music into a bunch of 'mini-lessons' or 'mini-tasks' will make a world of difference in your play...

- LEARN CONCEPTS WITH THE SIMPLEST POSSIBLE MATERIAL -

!

LEARN HOW TO PRACTICE EFFECTIVELY WHILE THE MATERIAL IS SIMPLE

!!!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-06-2004, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Well I couldn't manage all of Mapletrees' suggestions so I just tried doing full D chords while trying to get my ring finger at more of a 90 degree angle. Then I tried alternating hammer ons and pull offs on that F#. I also did this with the high G as well. This seemed to help. I also realized that I was doing the pull offs rather hard and this was resulting in pulling the string completely off the fretboard. I tried being more careful about this and also made adjustments on the angle at which I did the pull off. I've made significant improvement since this afternoon. Thanks!
Tg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell