The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Fishman loudbox performer or marshall as100d??

I have narrowed my amp choices after months of trying different amps and reading/watching reviews. I am playing with a Taylor 8 string baritone. I have used and love the marshall as50d...just not quite enough power. I am leaning towards the 100d hard. The only thing is the fishman performer interest me. Mainly because of the speaker config. What would you guys do?? I cannot find a performer to test. I just want the best sound for my guitar. thanks and hope to get some feedback on this!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Can only give you feedback on a comparison I did between the Fishman Loudbox 100 and the Marshall as50d. I found the tonal differences between the two dramatic. I ended up with the Fishman. Also much more flexibility with the Fishman in outputs to the mixer or PA. I play a Taylor GA8 ES (9 volt, 2nd generation)

My opinion on your present comparison is going to be based on spec. alone.

Fishman Performer is lighter, more flexible in connectivity, and the big one for me, a better speaker setup, rather than two 8" full range, you have dedicated 8" woofer, 5" mid-range and tweeter setup. More power in the Fishman and putting the power to where it counts, a full 120 watts to the 8" woofer, with the remaining 60 watts going to the mid-range and tweeter. Compared to the Marshall as100d applying 50 watts to each 8" full range...... well, thats like two 50 watt amps playing together and they better be sync'ed perfect or that's where the muddy lows and less than clear mid-range will be heard.

Almost forgot this and this is what really sold me on the Fishman, the tweeter control. Rather than using the EQ to tame harshness, the guys at Fishman allow you to boost or cut the mix of the tweeter in this setup. Its a whole different way to get the tone you seek. With a baritone guitar, oh yea!!!

What will shock you, if you have not seen a Fishman amp, is the size. Small in comparison to models in the Marshall line.

You also may want to read this thread.
Discussion on Loudbox Performer

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

Last edited by briggleman; 05-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification