The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 PM

Default Jason Mraz's Strings (Taylor NS)

Jason Mraz, for any of you that know of him, plays mainly a Taylor NS72ce (he also has an NS52ce me thinks).

Now, ive always noticed his NS's while watching his videos and such and on them are always black trebles of some sort. I'm really starting to dig the black treble look and wanna do the same to mine.

All the Taylor NS's come out of the factory with Extra hard tension Daddario Pro Arte's (Clear trebles). Daddario do make black trebles but the highest they go is hard tension.

My question is does anyone know what kind of strings Mraz uses? Particularly the trebles, Or if you know any other brands that make black trebles in an extra hard tension.

I really like the feel of the extra hards on my Taylor and dont want to go down to hards or mediums.

Any help appreciated, cheers
Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what he plays, but I believe that Martin Strings offer a set of nylon strings with black trebles.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM

I just had a look on Martins site and couldnt find any black trebles (maybe im just blind ).

Few things though, i have been told by a few people from different guitar shops and have also read a few comments on forums to steer clear of Martin classical strings, i have never used them myself personally but judging from the comments they dont seem to be too flash.

Also Martins 'High' string gauge specs are on par with Daddarios 'Normal' tension, and im looking for something comparable to Daddarios 'Extra Hard' tension, so none of their strings really suit me. Thanks for the input though, got me looking more.

I just did some comparisons of different Daddario Pro Arte string gauges and ive found that the Hard tensions trebles are the same gauges as the Extra hards except for the high e string which is 0.001 thicker on the extra hard. So i could always just swap the black hard trebles over using extra hard bass strings, i dont think that 0.001 difference would make much of a noticeable change.

Geez, all this for black trebles so i can be closer to "looking like" my favourite artist, hilarious

Last edited by Stoogey; 03-28-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM

I haven't used them in decades but LaBella offers several nylon string sets where the unwound strings are black.

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-c800.html

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 05-19-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I haven't used them in decades but LaBella offers several nylon string sets where the unwound strings were black.

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-c800.html
Interesting, i'll look into those. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM

Hey Stoogey, great question. I'm a huge fan of Mraz and was wondering the exact same question!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 AM

I've been using Pro Arte EJ50's (Hard Tension with black trebles) on my NS24ce with great results. Am gonna be trying those EJ50 trebles soon with EJ44 Extra Hard tension basses. If they go even better then im just gonna assume thats the combo that Jason uses on his NS's

I've seen a few videos of him playing his new JMSM with clear trebles though so im gonna assume that he still has the factory fitted EJ44's all round on it, and that he only has the black trebles on his 72ce for now.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
I've been using Pro Arte EJ50's (Hard Tension with black trebles) on my NS24ce with great results. Am gonna be trying those EJ50 trebles soon with EJ44 Extra Hard tension basses. If they go even better then im just gonna assume thats the combo that Jason uses on his NS's

I've seen a few videos of him playing his new JMSM with clear trebles though so im gonna assume that he still has the factory fitted EJ44's all round on it, and that he only has the black trebles on his 72ce for now.
Hey Stoogey,

This is a great question.. I am a huge fan and I'm also interested in what strings he uses on his ns72ce. I just purchased a JMSM a couple weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Can you link me to where you saw black trebles on the 72ce? I always thought they were just the stock D'addario Extra Hard tension strings that come on the 72ce's by default.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM

Heres a few if you can make out the black trebles, have a look also at the tuner posts to see the black trebles windings/wrappings. Hard to find great shots of him and the 72ce that are clear.

He sometimes has clear trebles on the 72ce but most of the time you'll find him with black trebles. Lately he's only been playing with his JMSM and that has clear trebles on it still, dunno if he's gonna go black trebles with that too or not.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
Heres a few if you can make out the black trebles, have a look also at the tuner posts to see the black trebles windings/wrappings. Hard to find great shots of him and the 72ce that are clear.

He sometimes has clear trebles on the 72ce but most of the time you'll find him with black trebles. Lately he's only been playing with his JMSM and that has clear trebles on it still, dunno if he's gonna go black trebles with that too or not.
Guys,
Note that the strings are ball end so start looking at "Folk" strings by D'Addario such as these:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/i...cPath=1_41_112

Jimmy

PS. I don't know what he uses, just that they're ball ends like the above example
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 05-22-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

i use rotosound cl4. black treble and silver bass. the treble feels tighter than the clear d'addario. the rotosound is not ball end.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:51 PM

As stated above, he typically uses ball end folk screens, Daddarios, as mentioned in a recent Acoustic Guitar magazine article.

jackL
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Try out the D'Addarios! A couple of years ago when I still played a nylon-string guitar, I used to have the black treble D'Addario strings. They're superb! Cheers.

James
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 AM

From what I read, don't know where, he uses D'Addario Folk Nylon with black trebles. I use them on my NS72 and like them alot.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM

According to the D'Addario website he uses EJ32 - Set Folk Nylon Silver Wound/Ball End Black Trebles
2005 Taylor 314ce
1945 Gibson SJ
2015 Gibson Les Paul Less+
Line 6 James Tyler JTV 59
2005 Fender Roland Ready Strat
1991 Fender Heartfield RR9
2015 Fender Jazz V
Line 6 Variax 700 Bass
Lanikai CK-TEQ Uke
Sammick Artist A Style Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical