The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Default UPS: non-delivery, 3-week outdated tracking

Hi there,

Ordered online, the Eastman E8OM was shipped this August 31 via UPS Worldwide Saver method. Tomorrow ends 3rd week of shipping, the instrument is still in transit with outdated tracking of September 4th.......

I would like to have the guitar stopped where it is now and returned to the store.....

Has anyone ever experienced such or a similar case with shipping ??
Every comment and advice is very valuable !

Thank you!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM

You need to work with the shipper and ups.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-01-2020 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 PM

There is a world-wide pandemic occurring. It is not business as usual. To expect the world to respond as if everything is as it was is unrealistic and to invite disappointment.

Shipping is one area that has been affected. In things that I have ordered and had shipped, some of them have sat for weeks in this or that location going no where until they do. One such shipment hasn’t been updated in weeks even after I received the shipment. That has been my experience with a number of shippers on both sides of the Canada/US border. If one is shipping something in these times, one can expect shipping to take longer and tracking to not necessarily be accurate. It’s just how it is.

Shipping fragile or sensitive items in such an environment might involve greater risk of damage in shipping.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:09 PM

I dont understand how Covid should effect shipping
Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Huh? Why can't you understand? Shipping companies have had less workers than usual and are absolutely slammed with the insane amount of online purchases being made during the pandemic. Both my regular UPS and FedEx drivers have told me multiple times it's been like the holiday season for them since this whole thing started. Think about how busy delivery drivers are at the holidays, then imagine them being that busy for six months straight while also dealing with the thought of the pandemic/highly contagious virus. Of course a global pandemic is going to impact shipping.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
U.S. online sales increased 42% year over year in August, a significant increase but markedly slower than July, when online sales increased 55% year over year, according to new data from Adobe Analytics. In August, online sales reached $63 billion, and the first eight months of 2020 generated $497 billion in online sales, according to Adobe. Since March, Adobe attributes the pandemic to an extra $107 billion spent online. As of August, 130 days in 2020 exceeded $2 billion in online sales, compared with 2019, when only two days exceeded $2 billion in online sales outside of the holiday season.

Online purchasing has increased considerably. However, getting back to the OP, I wonder if your order is either stuck or lost in customs somewhere....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM

Apart from the shipping business being slammed by Christmas levels of volume and being short staffed besides, this guitar is crossing borders. It could sit in the custody of Customs inspectors for days or weeks, through no fault of the shipper. When I have ordered Emerald guitars from Ireland, all tracking disappears at the point where US Customs takes over, and it usually arrives before tracking gets updated.

This may not be much help for the OP's anxiety, but understanding the situation is half of the battle. I have never tried to stop a shipment en route -- no idea how that might work -- but I have returned things after they arrived.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Smile

received my SCGC FTC last Sat. via UPS 2nd day air.
Shipped from Eddies Guitars in St. Louis ,Mo....shipped to S.W. Florida arrived on time and in perfect condition in the middle of (then) tropical Strom Sally.
Shipping was included (free) in selling price....

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

It might be stuck in customs. We had a Calton case (going from US to Belgium) get stuck in processing in Chicago for four full months during this pandemic. There was nothing we could do to change its status, nor could the buyer. In doing research, there are hundreds of people with maybe thousands of packages (not just MI gear) suffering the same fate.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Two recent shipments of guitars I’ve had recently by USPS have both been more than a few days late, outside of the ETA stated at the time of shipment. Both shipments have “stalled” for several days at out of state processing locations. Tracking informant has been spotty at best. All this, I’m sure is due to reduced team membership & “skeleton crews” handling the mail because of this pandemic.

It sucks, but for now...it’s our “normal”!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:03 PM

Thanks!

Note: I am not in the US, this is all about Europe and Eastern Europe.... the guitar is shipped from Western to Eastern Europe!

Well I am shopping online in the US and UK all year round, there were some troubles with British Royal Mail in June-July but absolutely fine other months.... now both USPS ad Royal Mail work great with zero-complaints and delivering everything in 1-3 days.

HOWEVER, those are standard mail services, UPS is express !!!

Trouble 1: Delay time is out of any healthy consideration
Trouble 2: UPS is unable to find the shipment in its own network for over 2 weeks, and this is even more unhealthy situation

:-(
Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fewer flights. A lot of freight used to go on those passenger planes.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 PM

That sucks. Hope it arrives in pristine shape.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Forgetting the current distress I recently ordered a book from a U.K. specialty publisher who uses expedited Royal Mail/USPS for delivery. Two years ago I found a Royal Douton figurine in a little antique shop in England who had an only presence. I ordered it for my beloved for Christmas and it arrived via expedited Royal Mail/USPS in four days. This time the package dropped off the radar a couple of weeks ago and has disappeared into the Larentian Abbysal for all I know. Quite the change in delivery efficiency!

It's too bad. The book is of interest to me and was written by a fellow I spent a few hours with when I was in the U.K. We'll stay optimistic and hope it arrives soon.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had a couple international UPS shipments get held up - I was unable to get much info on them, but the sender was able to take some action and managed to get the shipments out of whatever corner they had been stuck in and they eventually got delivered. One was 7 large, identical boxes, and once we got the tracking updated, it still took almost 2 weeks for all seven boxes to get delivered even though they were in a warehouse less than a mile from my shop, one or two at a time, and the last box was delivered almost 2 months after they were all shipped -

But thats gotta be a real pain if its a special guitar you’re waiting for -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion