The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-07-2020, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Marley;6486521]I will say that in my opinion the most underrated guitar company is Ernie Ball Music Man. The majority of electric players have never held one yet these guys in San Louis Obispo, CA are putting out some of the finest electric guitars on the planet. The quality and craftmanship is right there with PRS and other high end makers but they are better than PRS. Their necks are unbelievable. The gunstock wax oil they use for their necks is like nothing else. The tuners they use, their electronics, the DiMarzio pups or their own pups are fantastic. Their body shapes, especially the Axis are nice. Although they do have some strange shapes that are not my taste. It's no wonder why guys such as Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Albert Lee and Steve Lukather play them exclusively and have for so long. They are made to order for music stores so they are not hanging on the walls like other guitars which is why so many have never played one.

I love the 2 I have. I hardly, and possible will never, play my PRS, Tele, LP or Strat again. There's no need because my MM blows them all away. It's the Axis neck that blows them all away and what I love the most. I have a double humbucker Axis SS and a P90 Axis Sport.[/QUOTE

Great post and couldn't agree more. I started with the axis and as much as I liked it the Cutlass is the one that did it for me. To get a complete perspective I also tried the Silouette but again it was the Cutlass that really wowed me. I'll never part with it. I might add I sold my fender American Pro afterwards.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Smile Matt Eady

Here is my recently acquired Matt Eady EG Pro electric guitar. It has a gorgeous flamed redwood top and solid mahogany body. The pickups are custom/OEM Arcane humbuckers.

I had been searching for a really nice electric guitar for over a year, and looked at guitars by Collings, Breedlove, Gibson, PRS, and a few boutique builders. I found some really nice ones, and came very close to pulling the trigger a few times, but I couldn't find a guitar that had everything I wanted. I was only planning on buying one electric guitar, so I didn't want to compromise on my ideal specifications. During my guitar search, I came across a pre-owned Eady EG Pro at The Music Emporium. This model had everything I was looking for, but had a little more wear and tear than I wanted. I called Matt Eady, and he was just finishing up on a gorgeous guitar that had not been sold yet. After talking to Matt and seeing photos of the finished guitar, I was sold.

After getting the guitar, I was amazed at how good the woodworking and finish was. Matt had previously worked at the Gibson custom shop and Benedetto guitars for ten years.

Here is another photo of the figured redwood top on my Eady EG Pro:

If anyone is searching for a high end electric guitar, I cannot recommend Matt Eady enough! For what you get, his pricing is great too.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 09-07-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:48 AM

These guitars may not appeal to many because of their ornate look, but my favorite guitars to play are my Zemaitis, and the build quality of the Japanese built line is ridiculously good.

The A series are built to same level as their MG and even more expensive CS (Custom Shop). They precision in the build is great and the necks play like butter. Around Christmas they always throw sales and I got one of my A series for $1399. It was this one which is easily worth their current price.
https://zemaitisguitarcompany.com/a22mfp-bk-2.html

I own some sweet Heritage guitars, and a lacquer G&L Legacy, and I can say without a doubt the all my Zemaitis were set up better than either. I also own some serious upper end Gretsch guitars, and Custom Shop Gibson and Fenders, and I still play my Zemaitis guitars all the time!!! I got good deals on my A series so I modded them with my favorite electronic components and tuners and they absolutely sound KILLER! A few days ago I bought one of their custom shop models which is another GREAT guitar, but my modded A series sounds even better! I'm going to put the same electronics in the custom shop model and I bet it will be fantastic! It's just the Custom Shop uses a lacquer finish and ebony board, vs the A series ultra thin poly and rosewood (or paduak) fingerboards. There is also some really cool binding and neck finishing on the custom shop model.

And BTW there are two models of custom shop models that are on sale right now as they are changing models slightly and the are selling for less than I've ever seen one go for!
That's why I bought mine! The two models are CS22 DCP NT (natural) and CS22 DCP BK (black).

Here's a pic of my A22MFP BK (left) and my CS22 DCP NT (CUSTOM SHOP)

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-09-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've always wanted a Heritage. I wonder how things are there the past couple of years after the 'walk out'?

I played a few at CME. They were certainly better than their Gibson counterparts but didn't have the soul I was looking for.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
These guitars may not appeal to many because of their ornate look, but my favorite guitars to play are my Zemaitis, and the build quality of the Japanese built line is ridiculously good.

The A series are built to same level as their MG and even more expensive CS (Custom Shop). They precision in the build is great and the necks play like butter. Around Christmas they always throw sales and I got one of my A series for $1399. It was this one which is easily worth their current price.
https://zemaitisguitarcompany.com/a22mfp-bk-2.html

I own some sweet Heritage guitars, and a lacquer G&L Legacy, and I can say without a doubt the all my Zemaitis were set up better than either. I also own some serious upper end Gretsch guitars, and Custom Shop Gibson and Fenders, and I still play my Zemaitis guitars all the time!!! I got good deals on my A series so I modded them with my favorite electronic components and tuners and they absolutely sound KILLER! A few days ago I bought one of their custom shop models which is another GREAT guitar, but my modded A series sounds even better! I'm going to put the same electronics in the custom shop model and I bet it will be fantastic! It's just the Custom Shop uses a lacquer finish and ebony board, vs the A series ultra thin poly and rosewood (or paduak) fingerboards. There is also some really cool binding and neck finishing on the custom shop model.

And BTW there are two models of custom shop models that are on sale right now as they are changing models slightly and the are selling for less than I've ever seen one go for!
That's why I bought mine! The two models are CS22 DCP NT (natural) and CS22 DCP BK (black).

Here's a pic of my A22MFP BK (left) and my CS22 DCP NT (CUSTOM SHOP)

I actually know them because a really good Japanese band "Band Maid" uses one for their gear!
Old 09-11-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Here is my recently acquired Matt Eady EG Pro electric guitar. It has a gorgeous flamed redwood top and solid mahogany body. The pickups are custom/OEM Arcane humbuckers.

I had been searching for a really nice electric guitar for over a year, and looked at guitars by Collings, Breedlove, Gibson, PRS, and a few boutique builders. I found some really nice ones, and came very close to pulling the trigger a few times, but I couldn't find a guitar that had everything I wanted. I was only planning on buying one electric guitar, so I didn't want to compromise on my ideal specifications. During my guitar search, I came across a pre-owned Eady EG Pro at The Music Emporium. This model had everything I was looking for, but had a little more wear and tear than I wanted. I called Matt Eady, and he was just finishing up on a gorgeous guitar that had not been sold yet. After talking to Matt and seeing photos of the finished guitar, I was sold.

After getting the guitar, I was amazed at how good the woodworking and finish was. Matt had previously worked at the Gibson custom shop and Benedetto guitars for ten years.

Here is another photo of the figured redwood top on my Eady EG Pro:

If anyone is searching for a high end electric guitar, I cannot recommend Matt Eady enough! For what you get, his pricing is great too.
Boy that certainly is a gorgeous guitar congrats .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Ton Anderson

Not much of an electric guitar player, but my friends TA is gorgeous and beautifully built.
That guitar Blew me away.
All of the replies before mine are also very cool, particularly that flamed redwood.
I tried to get a Music Man Reflex bass a while back- Really cool bass. great feel. unfortunately the trade couldn’t work for me.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:19 AM

For mainstream guitars, Schecter is by far the best guitar maker on the planet for your dollar, I’d never even look at a PRS or Suhr again after owning a few of them... most overrated is an easy answer... Gibson.. they make expensive junk... underrated is a difficult question, comes down to taste and preferences, so many good instruments these days by lots of companies... value is big for me, has to have performance at a great price, looks are important but not my main concern... getting all three, looks performance and price is a difficult task, and I’d rank Schecter near the top of the list for guitars that are widely available...
Old 09-12-2020, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

There are some GREAT guitars coming from two custom builders in Maine. Laurent Brondel makes fabulous F style derivative guitars Chuck Thornton builds wonderful G style influenced, but with his own take solid body, semi-hollow and hollowbody guitars.

Laurent made me this T-style guitar about 3-years ago. It has slightly wider nut (1-11/16”) and string spacing (2-1/8”) vs a standard Tele. The body is Ash and the neck is Birdseye Sugar Maple. He also installed Lollat Charlie Christian PUs.

This is Chuck’s “Professional” model that he made for me about 8 years ago. It is a semi-hollow-body with through neck construction. It is only 14” across the lower bout. The body is Honduran Mahogany and is hollowed out. The top is a Bigleaf Maple cap. He installed Lollar Low-Wind Imperial Humbuckers with a 5-way selector for two single coil positions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars