The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-21-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
But there are plenty of Youtube videos and internet posts saying Tele is all anyone needs, Leo should have stopped with the Tele, etc etc. I follow this stuff too. Like I said in my previous post their fans “seem to imply” how anyone can choose a Tele over a Strat for example when the Tele is so superior.
YouTube experts are a dime a dozen, worth about that much, and often full of hooey.
All anyone objectively "needs" is food, water, and shelter , everything else is subjective wants.

"Superior" is a Great Lake, not a particular guitar model

Fan Boys often confuse subjective personal preference with objective comparison or analysis

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-24-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:20 AM

I think the player's sound(hands) comes through a Tele, for better or worse, more than any other electric guitar from back in the day. Add to that the incredible durability of a Telecaster, you have the perfect road guitar for a working musician. They also sound good through almost any amp, and can offer biting snarl, lush warmth, or something in between.

This isn't to say that Strats, LesPauls, 335's, etc., aren't just as viable, but if you could only have one guitar, and you were on a two month road trip playing six nights a week through the interior of British Columbia or somewhere else far from any major city, you wouldn't be wrong to take a Tele.

Another great thing about a Tele is that it doesn't really matter who made it, a good Tele is a good Tele! They are not all great, but it isn't hard to find a good one.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Lotta great players have used (and do use) teles. A lot more great players don't, preferring other options. It's a fine guitar, one of several. People who say it's the most versatile guitar in captivity are just expressing a personal preference, IMHO. Arguably a strat is more versatile. Almost IN-arguably a semi hollow or Les Paul or SG or something similar is AS versatile. It's just what you like.

I love teles. If there were no strats, I'm pretty sure I'd play a tele 90% of the time, instead of playing a strat 90% of the time. In my guitar room, there's no room for a tele if there's a strat there too, and there's ALWAYS a strat there. So I don't have any teles. I have had. And on the rare occasion I didn't have a strat, a tele would quickly become my #1. But when there's a strat there, I never reach for the tele, so now there isn't one. I gotta have something with P90s, preferably something with more of a Gibson like neck setup. These days and for the foreseeable future, that's an Epiphone SG. I actually DO play that sometimes, in addition to my strat. P-90s are the only thing that can compete for a small amount of playing time with a strat in my world. Teles couldn't, humbuckers couldn't, nothing else has. Except for an acoustic, but that's a whole different thing.

Teles are fine guitars, one among several. No more, no less.

-Ray
Curious, have you ever tried a Nashville Tele? What are your thoughts on it. Hate to sound like a broken record but despite mine feeling somewhat bland and characterless among my other electrics, it is just so versatile and "competent". I guess by "competent" I mean it's easy to play and even seems to compensate for my poor and often clumsy playing.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Telecaster is great, and obviously up there. But don't think the consensus will ever be that it beats the strat?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Just thinking out loud, but if a specific artist used a tele at some point but later adapted a different guitar as their main guitar, does that speak well of the tele or does it detract from it?
I think one issue is how is the current guitar configured. My impression is that some Strats (to take one example) are not actually Strats, or at least, not "just" Strats, in that they have a mix of pickups or wiring or bells and whistles that give the player sounds more associated with other instruments, such as Teles. So did they really switch from a Tele to a Strat if the new instrument is not a classic spec Strat but is set up to produce the sounds of both?

To diverge a bit, it can be jarring to go see an artist and find them playing something very different than you expect. I once went to see Johnny Winter and was a bit crushed to see him playing a headless guitar. Seemed downright sacrilegious. I once saw a video of Gilmour with a headless guitar. I have to laugh at myself a bit at how much it bothered me.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:51 PM

Telecasters and Stratocasters sound very alike is my experience, no matter what people try to tell you. (I acknowledge that I might sound just that little bit different on my Telecaster only because I play it that little bit differently to my Stratocaster and not because the instrument itself sounds dramatically different).
Old 08-27-2020, 10:55 PM

Discussions of this nature really boil down to people thinking with their eyes as much as anything else. Really, just play whatever works for you and let others argue over what you should have chosen.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Jeff Beck, B.B. King, Jimmy Page, Syd Barett, David Gilmour, Jeff Buckley, James Burton, Mike Campbell, Jim Campilongo, Steve Cropper, Denny Diaz, Noel Gallagher, Vince Gill, George Harrison, Steve Howe, Chrissie Hynde,Albert Lee, Mike Oldfield, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Walsh, Clarence White...
And the mighty Albert Collins. Most of those artists were performing by the mid-60s.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Jeff Beck, B.B. King, Jimmy Page, Syd Barett, David Gilmour, Jeff Buckley, James Burton, Mike Campbell, Jim Campilongo, Steve Cropper, Denny Diaz, Noel Gallagher, Vince Gill, George Harrison, Steve Howe, Chrissie Hynde,Albert Lee, Mike Oldfield, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Walsh, Clarence White, need I list more people who did significant work with the Tele?
Note that often their first or ground breaking or breakout albums were with standard Teles.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-31-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Curious, have you ever tried a Nashville Tele? What are your thoughts on it. Hate to sound like a broken record but despite mine feeling somewhat bland and characterless among my other electrics, it is just so versatile and "competent". I guess by "competent" I mean it's easy to play and even seems to compensate for my poor and often clumsy playing.
Yeah, I even owned one for a couple of days, but couldn't get past the 12" fretboard radius, which I love on Gibson type necks but can't stand on Fenders for some reason. I guess if you wanted to have one guitar with some of the strengths of a strat and a tele, it's not a bad way to go. But the quack positions aren't really near as ducky as a strat and you don't get the neck/bridge combo that you do on most teles. And you don't get the awesome neck pickup from a strat.

Ultimately I'd rather have either a real strat or real tele to a Nashville. So my solution was to own a strat and a tele, which each do their thing better than the Nashville does. But as I mentioned above, when I have a strat and a tele, I never ever EVER play the tele. So they die of neglect and I sell them. Seems like the only #2 I've ever kept for any length of time has had P90s in it and that's what I have now - an SG with P90s. I play the strat probably 80-90% of the time, but the SG is there when I need a change of pace and I DO actually play it from time to time. Which I didn't do with even a really awesomely good tele.

So to me, the Nashville sort of combined some of the features of a strat and a tele, but didn't really get the best of either except for a tele bridge pickup - an I'm not that much of a bridge pickup guy. So there was nothing really there for me.

-Ray
Old 08-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
I think the player's sound(hands) comes through a Tele, for better or worse, more than any other electric guitar from back in the day.
Oh balderdash and poppycock and if there are any other words that mean the same thing and sound as good as those two I sure wish I knew them because I'd use them here.

Every competently made and setup guitar is equally animated and limited by the player's (hands) ability to play it and adapt to it's particular strengths and weaknesses. The tele has one set of strengths (mostly based around the bridge pickup) that are perfect for some players, the strat has a couple other sets of strengths (based around the neck pickup and in-between positions), a semi-hollow with humbuckers or P90s had another set, and may be the most neutral and versatile a guitar as there is. But MY HANDS get across better on a strat than anything else. Brad Paisley's (vastly more talented) hands come through better on a tele, John Scofield's insanely talented hands come across better on a semi-hollow with humbuckers, Leslie West did really really well with a Les Paul with a P90 or two.

People tend to make statement like that about their favorite guitar, which only means that it's their favorite guitar. I've also seen people say that a tele is a harder and less forgiving guitar than a strat or Les Paul and that they play and feel vastly different than a strat. I've played plenty of both for long enough to say balderdash and poppycock to that too - assuming similar necks, I find strats and teles to play pretty much identically except for the tremolo on a strat, but I always either deck or block them or, as now, dispense with them altogether with a hardtail strat. And minus a trem, they play the same, they just sound different.

Everyone should play what they love - teles are perfectly lovable and many people love them best. But there's no one guitar that's the ultimate guitar. It might be for you or me, but guarantee it's not for lot's of other folks. And they're not wrong.

-Ray
Old 08-31-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Telecasters and Stratocasters sound very alike is my experience, no matter what people try to tell you.
Nobody's going to argue with you about your own experience. Well they might, but that's more of a Gearslutz thing.

One of the big differences to me, actually, is the feel. The feel, specifically, of the springs in a Strat's whammy undercarriage boinging around like a set of bad shocks. I don't care for it. But a Strat doesn't really sound like a Strat without it.

Couch Standards
Old 08-31-2020, 01:45 PM

I don't know if I agree with one thing that was stated in the OP. It all seems made up to me.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I don't know if I agree with one thing that was stated in the OP. It all seems made up to me.
Ha! Yeah, see Post #13.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Oh balderdash and poppycock and if there are any other words that mean the same thing and sound as good as those two I sure wish I knew them because I'd use them here.

Every competently made and setup guitar is equally animated and limited by the player's (hands) ability to play it and adapt to it's particular strengths and weaknesses.

Everyone should play what they love...there's no one guitar that's the ultimate guitar. It might be for you or me, but guarantee it's not for lot's of other folks. And they're not wrong.
My favorite post in the thread.

The best guitar for you may not be the best guitar for the other guy, so buy the one that works for you and let him buy the one that works for him. This mindset of best being determined by consensus is nothing but balderdash and poppycock.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars