The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Default Best amp under $1K for gigs?

What is the best sounding amp for using at a gig and under $1000....preferably under 750. Would like something that is easily portable and one than can be hooked up to a powered speaker for larger gigs. Most gigs are smallish for around 25-75 people and rooms are usually the typical small bar/outdoor patio/mexican restaurant type places. I would think 60 watts is probably the minimum, but 100 would probably safely cover everything without needed a extra speaker..
Forgot to mention, this is for guitar and vocals.

Some I have checked out:

Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss Acoustic Singer Pro
Marshall 50
Roland AC60

Last edited by JackB1; 08-19-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What is the best sounding amp for using at a gig and under $1000....preferably under 750. Would like something that is easily portable and one than can be hooked up to a powered speaker for larger gigs. Most gigs are smallish for around 25-75 people and rooms are usually the typical small bar/outdoor patio/mexican restaurant type places. I would think 60 watts is probably the minimum, but 100 would probably safely cover everything without needed a extra speaker..

Some I have checked out:

Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss Acoustic Singer Pro
Marshall 50
Roland AC60
JBL EON Compact is worth considering.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:46 AM

looks good, but I really don't need a battery powered PA and this is the leading feature of this amp. Everywhere I play has power and I also need power for my pedals and lights. It's a nice option though similar to the Bose S1 Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
JBL EON Compact is worth considering.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:04 AM

probably one of the EAE / Acus ones.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Could you provide more info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
probably one of the EAE / Acus ones.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

If I was looking for a single amp solution (as opposed to my current Bose S1/EAE StompMix X6 setup) I'd look at the EAE MKII 6-8. It combines all the features of the my StompMix X6 into an 80 watt amp with plenty of inputs plus the battery power. I know you say all the places you play have power but we love not needing to run on external power even when it is available. The downside is that at 28 lbs it's quite a bit heavier than the S1. But we have no plans to leave the S1/X6 combo.

EAE D6-8 MKII 80W LITHIUM BATTERY POWERED ACOUSTIC AMPLIFIER WITH BLUETOOTH
Old 08-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

A used AER Compact 60... you should be able to find one within your budget...

Don't be fooled by a "watts" rating, as there's a whole lot more involved than just watts. I have been consistently amazed by how LOUD AND CLEAR my little Compact can go! I sing and play through it, and, even in rooms that were 30' x 90' with 30' ceilings, full of people drinking and talking, I never had the master volume up past 12 o'clock...

This little thing just produces way more sound and volume than 60 solid state watts and one 8" speaker should produce! Works best for me when I put a bit of distance between my self and my guitar and that amp... out around 10-15' from the unit, the sound "blooms" and spreads really nicely; I'll put the thing on the stage, using the little "wedge" gizmo that AER sells to cant it up a bit, and then position myself so I'm in the edge of the "dispersion cone", and I can hear myself perfectly and I'm hearing what the audience is hearing.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-19-2020, 11:27 AM

All you'll ever need is a Fishman Mini or Artist amp.

Of course, if you don't mind some more weight to carry around, the Fishman Performer is also an incredible amp.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
All you'll ever need is a Fishman Mini or Artist amp.

Of course, if you don't mind some more weight to carry around, the Fishman Performer is also an incredible amp.
Plus 1 on the Fishman Artist, which is what I have. It has 3 DI's on the back, including one that's a "mix". My music partner and I run our respective amps into an Allen & Heath small board and it works great.

I am intrigued though by the props given to the EAE MKII 6-8.

Good luck on your search!

Jim
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM

If you are gonna be doing guitar and vocals I would highly recommend the S1 Pro or the Genzler Acoustic Arry Pro. Love the S1 but I'd give the Genzler the first look. If you are not singing then these amps are still both right up there with the best sounding acoustic amps IMO and I think I've tried em all in that $ range.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Another plus on the Loudbox Artist. Mine's 5 years old and still going strong. I've used it in everything from very small (20 people) settings to large outdoor parking lot gigs. for the latter, the DI out goes seamlessly to a power speaker on a stand and does a great job. If you watch Sweetwater they run a special with a mic, stand and the LB Artist for the same price as the amp alone on occasion. I also have the S1 pro and would second recommendations for that. I'll be using mine for a restaurant patio gig Saturday and my duo partner will be running his LB Artist. Best of both worlds!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:16 PM

If you can favorite your searches and wait it out on a couple different platforms (ebay, reverb..etc) you can get a used Fishman SA330x packaged with the sub or mixer or both for under a grand. It’s a really nice system with everything you need and good volume plus super fast setup.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:29 PM

Not a fan of the Fish Sticks. I had the SA220 and it was OK, but those little speakers don't offer much "punch" because they disperse sound so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
If you can favorite your searches and wait it out on a couple different platforms (ebay, reverb..etc) you can get a used Fishman SA330x packaged with the sub or mixer or both for under a grand. It’s a really nice system with everything you need and good volume plus super fast setup.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:32 PM

I noticed there are a few different models of the Fishman Performer. Is the only difference the addition of Bluetooth on the new models and when would that be used other than for backing tracks or to play music through on breaks? I have no issues with using a 3.5mm connector to my phone.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Another plus on the Loudbox Artist. Mine's 5 years old and still going strong. I've used it in everything from very small (20 people) settings to large outdoor parking lot gigs. for the latter, the DI out goes seamlessly to a power speaker on a stand and does a great job. If you watch Sweetwater they run a special with a mic, stand and the LB Artist for the same price as the amp alone on occasion. I also have the S1 pro and would second recommendations for that. I'll be using mine for a restaurant patio gig Saturday and my duo partner will be running his LB Artist. Best of both worlds!
I’m the partner and the Loudbox Artist works well, plenty of volume. The S1 has better dispersion if that is a consideration.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification