The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the name change, Aaron. I still think this device will be quite impressive, considering its mic simulation effect in combination with the programmable EQ and the anti-feedback wizardry.

I only wish that it also had a basic three band manual EQ for "quick and dirty" adjustments at the gig (presuming its a situation where the PA mixer isn't close at hand).
Old 09-20-2020, 02:29 PM

The Voiceprint demo sounds like some frequencies are missing that ought to be there with that guitar. The result is very metallic and without depth. Its all personal opinion but I like my tone to be clear highs, clear lows and mids plus some depth or body resonance coming through. I don't hear much except clear highs but they are not very clean to me. Could just be the Element or strings, or pick or speaker or ???? as we know.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I think it will be hard to beat a Tonedexter for taking a piezo sound you don't like and turning it into an acoustic sound you do.

But why not start with a pickup sound you like? You can end up with good tone, not a simulation of good tone. Are these aimed at someone with a cheaper guitar they want to sound like a boutique guitar?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I think it will be hard to beat a Tonedexter for taking a piezo sound you don't like and turning it into an acoustic sound you do.

But why not start with a pickup sound you like? You can end up with good tone, not a simulation of good tone. Are these aimed at someone with a cheaper guitar they want to sound like a boutique guitar?
Good is relative. I don't know of any pickup that sounds as good as a guitar acoustically or thru a mic. There are some that sound good, mostly SBTs, at lower levels, but some people need to play louder, etc. The Dazzo, which I think you use if I recall, is the only pickup I've tried that didn't benefit immensely from an IR, the Dazzo only benefits marginally. But not everyone is right for any specific pickup.

I use IRs with my Ryan, Hamblin, Lowdens, etc, not just cheaper guitars. They make the pickup sound a bit closer to the acoustic sound of the guitar. The "better" the guitar, the more likely it is you may notice the huge gap between the plugged in tone and the acoustic tone, so IRs really help.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

Well one reason might be because no pickup really sounds that great on its own. At least I have never found one that satisfies me. I also don’t look at IR’s as necessarily a simulation of a good tone. I look at them more as getting closer to the Sound I hear when I play my guitar unplugged. No pickup that I have tried has been able to do that.

What I like about the Tonedexter and hopefully the Voicepirnt, is that I can install a pickup like UST or K&K which are both consistent in terms of the tone they produce, but then use the IR’s to make them sound more like a mic. I have gone down the SBT rabbit hole and honestly, it’s always an experiment to find the right placement. Only the K&k has been consistent. If I can get to just slapping a K&k in my guitar and using an IR then I will be one happy musician!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This reminds me of a demo for
The bob weir preamp pedal
Where they turn it off and it squeals
with feedback. This video has this
dramatic night and day comparison
To help sell the pedal. But in my opinion
The guitar sounded just ok.
And yes it was very quiet.
I like the small footprint of the pedal.
In looking on youtube there aren't many videos
Outside of noisy NAMM to hear this pedal.
Hope you get one to review Aaron.
If the Voiceprint goes the way of the Bob Weir preamp, I'll be happy to buy one at a 75% discount. I really doubt that will happen, however. The Voiceprint's anti-feedback circuitry makes it a very different animal. In fact, I'm wondering if the Voiceprint's anti-feedback circuitry would work with a Lyric signal from the same guitar as the UST which I'd use to create the Voiceprint with (presuming I set the mic simulation at 0%). It would be an interesting experiment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification