The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Default ToneDexter Maps for the Yamaha Silent Guitar

Is anyone gigging with a Yamaha Silent guitar?

What do you think of these ToneDexter wavemaps over the built-in modeling?

Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 AM

Great Aaron!
Very useable sounds. The only disadvantage with the ToneDexter ist a bit of a metallic sound. It's in your video and on all of my wavemaps too.
It seems not everyone hears it the same way so it might be my ears that are bad.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-18-2020, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Great Aaron!
Very useable sounds. The only disadvantage with the ToneDexter ist a bit of a metallic sound. It's in your video and on all of my wavemaps too.
It seems not everyone hears it the same way so it might be my ears that are bad.
I hear it too. It’s why some people say that it sounds ‘processed’. Of course it is actually processed but I guess they are hearing that sound. Hopefully it continues to improve but it’s very impressive.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Great Aaron!
It totally is subjective but that's what I noticed with the Aura imaging. It's the only reason why I don't fully love the Aura, although it does produce a great signal. I don't hear metallic at all with the Tonedexter. I didn't watch the video yet on the siletn guitar wavemaps but my normal wavemaps always sound natural.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Nice job on the video, Aaron!

The one thing that doesn't come across in this kind of demo is that Yamaha's internal mic processing has a noticeable delay. Playing through ToneDexter does not. To me, that's a pretty big deal in the feel category.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Nice job on the video, Aaron!

The one thing that doesn't come across in this kind of demo is that Yamaha's internal mic processing has a noticeable delay. Playing through ToneDexter does not. To me, that's a pretty big deal in the feel category.
I remember you telling me that. It just doesn’t have a lot of punch, that could be another factor. Yamaha were way ahead of the game here. I wish they would update the silent guitar line. It’s a great all in one practice tool.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I remember you telling me that. It just doesn’t have a lot of punch, that could be another factor. Yamaha were way ahead of the game here. I wish they would update the silent guitar line. It’s a great all in one practice tool.
As you say that, it occurs to me that lack of "punch" may be correlated to the extra delay, perhaps subconsciously.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
As you say that, it occurs to me that lack of "punch" may be correlated to the extra delay, perhaps subconsciously.
The less latency the better!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification