The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Read my mind..that was my next question. For my band I would just plug my guitar in...this mic'ing my guitar idea arose due to forming a duo....fiddle/guitar. So by "problems" are we talking feedback?
Delays and anything with compression can exacerbate resonances in the system which in turn lead to feedback, chorus can make things either better or worse but difficult to predict which and injudicious use of any FX can compromise clarity, encouraging more volume leading to feedback.

Pickups usually handle FX ok partly because they have a limited bandwidth compared to acoustic sound (usually a negative thing) and their greater resistance to feedback. A mic will put a more full range and nuanced signal into an FX unit and bass frequencies through, for instance, a chorus or delay is more mud than effect.

Quote:
(Looking into your recommendations...i own an A1...bought it a while back to play with/practice to drum tracks/loop)
Did you get the mic adapter that came with it?

It's worth exploring some of the pickup and preamp options that have emerged over the last few years. Have been on this mission since the late 70s I feel like this is a bit of a golden period for realistic acoustic guitar.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post

It's worth exploring some of the pickup and preamp options that have emerged over the last few years. Have been on this mission since the late 70s I feel like this is a bit of a golden period for realistic acoustic guitar.
Mic'ing my guitar was going to be a temporary thing while I figured out my Tonedexter (Absolutely sold on it in practice, but having issues live..I tried to figure that part out on another thread.) Also, what you said about what problems effects can have on live sound when mic'ing an acoustic..that is kinda what I was afraid of and is what motivated my OP. I'll probably just mic guitar and use a little reverb @ the mixer. This is a "Covid" duo that'll last only as long as both our bands are grounded due to all the restrictions...probably shouldn't buy too much new gear trying to figure it out.. (Although recommendations on gear in this thread turned me on to aome interesting gadgets...the Voco loco may ne on order soon for a different idea &#128161 Appreciate your advice.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 AM

It is not uncommon to send a mic signal to the FOH tech for processing at the board, in addition to sending a pickup signal (I prefer Fishman RareEarth Humbucker) to a pedal board for on-stage effects processing. The pedal board signal can also be sent to FOH for blending to achieve the overall sound you are after.

You can easily do this on a suitably spec'd amp or stage system for small gigs, as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification