The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2020, 04:29 PM

Default New pedalboard [no DIY content]

Here is my new pedalboard:

Eastman or Martin HD-28 > NUX IR pedal (1Mohm input)> Stompmix CH1
SM-58 or Beta 87a > Stompmix CH2
BOSS RC-3 + FS-7 switch > Stompmix CH 3-4
Falken battery powers everything.
Everything is on a pedaltrain nano clone pedalboard

The NUX IR pedal provides 1Mohm input impedance, decent gain, and signal/noise ratio +2048 pts IR convolution.

The Boss RC-3 is used as a stereo backing track player.

Stompmix provides, Parametric EQs, HPF, Reverb and Pan on all channels.

So I can have my guitar and vocals slightly separated on the stereo field and a real stereo image of the drums!! (love it)

The only draw backs:
1) The Stomp mix rings when I put the falken on. It does not if the falken power is stable and then I plug the stompmix. I need a DC plug with a switch...
2) BOSS RC-3 only displays numbers for the songs.
3) FS-7 provides "Stop" and "Next song". To get song "Previous Song" I have to long press...
4) Phantom power is a bit noisy.

I decided to cope with it and not go the DIY way. I have hesitated a lot but the confinement prevent me from accessing a CNC for the enclosure... and a BOSS pedal will always be more reliable than a DIY project.

This is a compromise pedalboard, but it works and provides something I never had in such a small and convenient package previously!!!

I now just need to upgrade my dynamic mic (SM58) and I will be good to go.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-15-2020, 03:19 AM

Thanks Cuki. How long does that battery last? Would I be correct to assume the stompmix has its own power? Wait no, I see three power cables to the Falkin so I guess the white cable has power to the stompmix.

What outputs does this falkin have? I can’t read the face of it. Positive or negative center and the voltage are not in focus - or my eyes at 5 am!

Nice board. Are you running stereo out of the stompmix? If not, what is the purpose of the stereo out of the Boss with backing tracks?

Thanks Cuki.

Marty
Old 06-15-2020, 06:06 AM

Awesome and small package!

Great stuff, Cuki!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 06-15-2020, 07:06 AM

Very nice! It looks like the Falken is not imported into the US at this point.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks Cuki. How long does that battery last? Would I be correct to assume the stompmix has its own power? Wait no, I see three power cables to the Falkin so I guess the white cable has power to the stompmix.

What outputs does this falkin have? I can’t read the face of it. Positive or negative center and the voltage are not in focus - or my eyes at 5 am!

Falken M1 is a re-branded Boxking bk05, you can see the ouputs on the picture: (All are negative pin polarized. Therefore the whote cable to inverse polarity. all cables are provided with the Falken)

It's 12800 mAh Li-ion 3.7V cells that makes 47Wh... Let's say 42Wh with the DC-DC converter efficiency.

Electric power is P=U.I
The Stompmix4 consumption is Psm4=12 x 0.400=4,8W
The BOSS consumption is Prc=9 x 0.070=0,63W
The Nux NSS-5 max consumption is Pnux=9*0.240=2,16W
That max 7,59W

So I get about 5h and a half

I did not measure it. Since my last post I did not recharge it and it is about halfway full.

Quote:
Nice board. Are you running stereo out of the stompmix? If not, what is the purpose of the stereo out of the Boss with backing tracks?

Thanks Cuki.

Marty
Yes I am running out stereo to be able to pan the vocals and guitars slightly differently. The stereo backing tracks enables me to have drums with a wider image. I have the sound of drums coming from a single source... especially on the floor. Also The backing vocals are pan right and left, living the center field for my mic.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 PM

At start-up the 3 digital pedals are drawing too much current from the falken/boxking making either the falken or stompmix SMPS converter hissing/squealing.

So I made a little switch

Now I can 1st turn the BOSS and NUX pedal, and then the stompmix. No hissing now.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 06-16-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks Cuki. How long does that battery last?
I played 1h30 today and only turned one light black. So I guess it can last much more than 1h30.

Cheers,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 06-26-2020, 05:42 PM

How many 18650 batteries are in the Falken M1? is it replaceable?
Old 06-27-2020, 05:28 AM

I did not open it but I guess maximum 3.

Here is a picture next to 18650 cell (green). The cell protected, so it is slightly taller than the Falken.

On the following picture you can see a 3x18650 battery holder.

Of course I could make my own battery power unit [I made one actually].

But for this pedalboard I wanted the less DIY possible.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-15-2020, 09:09 PM

Default Suggestion: any batterypack + Ciioks 4 expander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Here is my new pedalboard:

Eastman or Martin HD-28 > NUX IR pedal (1Mohm input)> Stompmix CH1
SM-58 or Beta 87a > Stompmix CH2
BOSS RC-3 + FS-7 switch > Stompmix CH 3-4
Falken battery powers everything.
Everything is on a pedaltrain nano clone pedalboard

The NUX IR pedal provides 1Mohm input impedance, decent gain, and signal/noise ratio +2048 pts IR convolution.

The Boss RC-3 is used as a stereo backing track player.

Stompmix provides, Parametric EQs, HPF, Reverb and Pan on all channels.

So I can have my guitar and vocals slightly separated on the stereo field and a real stereo image of the drums!! (love it)

The only draw backs:
1) The Stomp mix rings when I put the falken on. It does not if the falken power is stable and then I plug the stompmix. I need a DC plug with a switch...
2) BOSS RC-3 only displays numbers for the songs.
3) FS-7 provides "Stop" and "Next song". To get song "Previous Song" I have to long press...
4) Phantom power is a bit noisy.

I decided to cope with it and not go the DIY way. I have hesitated a lot but the confinement prevent me from accessing a CNC for the enclosure... and a BOSS pedal will always be more reliable than a DIY project.

This is a compromise pedalboard, but it works and provides something I never had in such a small and convenient package previously!!!

I now just need to upgrade my dynamic mic (SM58) and I will be good to go.

Cuki

I am on the same page: 5 or 6 pedals on a battery powered very small board, some digital, some analog, which will often cause problems, when daisychained. I avoided dedicated battery packs for pedalboards because they are too expensive and most if not all do not offer isolated outputs.

You might use cheaper and more efficient batterypacks from Anker, RAV and alike + a 5 to 9V transformer cable. Some deliver more than the usual 1 A and can feed even a hx stomp. Still, you need to daisy chain and that will introduce all sorts of noises.

My solution is to use any of the mentioned ordinary batterypacks (mine delivers 20.000 instead of 12.800, for 30 Euros) + the Cioks expander 4, a very small unit that takes any power voltage from 5 V ( mini USB C which I use) to 24 V DC or 12V AC, delivers four very well isolated outputs (135 Euros, hey, it’s Cioks) with 4 x 660 mA, at 9 V and, if I am not mistaken, choosable voltages. In my case: three digital pedals use one isolated output each, less problematic low voltage pedals, two or three, share one isolated output.

My result: Silence! More flexibility, more power, at a bit more than the same costs as a Falken or alike. There is one competitor, but the Cioks is cheaper, with better features. No, I don’t work for Cioks, Just a happy client
Here’s a link https://cioks.com/products/cioks-4/#...-fa3900c3-a023

Last edited by Heinrich; 09-15-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post

My solution is to use any of the mentioned ordinary batterypacks (mine delivers 20.000 instead of 12.800, for 30 Euros) + the Cioks expander 4, a very small unit that takes any power voltage from 5 V ( mini USB C which I use) to 24 V DC or 12V AC, delivers four very well isolated outputs (135 Euros, hey, it’s Cioks) with 4 x 660 mA, at 9 V and, if I am not mistaken, choosable voltages. In my case: three digital pedals use one isolated output each, less problematic low voltage pedals, two or three, share one isolated output.

My result: Silence! More flexibility, more power, at a bit more than the same costs as a Falken or alike.
Thanks. CIOKS was on my "possible" list. this CIOKS expander 4 looks really cool.

Right now, I decided to stop using IRs. My DIY Pickup v5 does not need it. Not using IR annihilates the need of a pedalboard. I use a bluetooth controller with an android phone and use Setllist Maker app to handle both backing-tracks & lyrics.

The guitar & mics go straight to the JBL eon one compact that provides all the needed EQ power controlled by the same android phone.

You are going to ask: Why did you buy a RC-3, a EAE stompmix 4, a 2048 pts IR pedal and the battery then???... Well at the time I thought bluetooth and phone would not be reliable enough and I was scared of the incoming calls, and notifications... The solution was to use an ipod touch or small ipad but I thought it would be costly and would lead to trouble within 3 years (Planned obsolescence).

Then I realized I had an old Samsung android phone that was given to me. I removed the SIM card and it still worked with WiFi... So I gave it a try... and it worked.

I'll keep the pedalboard as a backup because it can not fail.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 AM

Wow. Cuki, this is quite a different route you took, considering the knowledge and the ballpark you built by dealing with IRs.
I also left the IR route, now checking out acoustic pedals like Baggs session, Eq and alike. Then I realised I skin the cat the wrong way ;-)). So I will exchange my ole Misi pickups (the simple one without mikes) and go Misi trio air or the passive HFN Schatten first, then add pedals to fit.
Are you still happy with the stompmix 4, just wondering, as you mentioned noise issues...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification