The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 AM

Default LA Guitar - Custom Larrivee's - anyone have one?

During one of my rare check-ins with FaceBook I ran across yet another of LA Guitar's Custom orders which landed on the Larrivee FB group. This one made me drool as it was a Koa back and sides with a pyramid bridge and slothead. Yikes!

From what I can gather, around 2010 the LA Guitar guy (sorry can't recall his name) was apparently pretty fond of the OO model as he initiated several custom order OO's, all short scale. Being a big OO fan, I have two, an OOV spruce/mahogany and OO spruce/rosewood both of which have the silver headstock border and headstock logo inlay.

So, I'm just curious if anyone can fill in any more of the backstory on these as I'm wondering what the specs were on other custom orders he made and if anyone has ever come across any of them.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Ted, the owner of LA Guitar Sales, has in the past produced a number of "custom" models through Larrivee, Martin and I believe Rainsong. I've been a long time customer and recently purchased my Taylor 814 from him. Ted was a long-time AGF Sponsor and had a large presence on AGF, but that's no longer the case...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Ted also did several custom orders with Eastman. I have one, a 005SS, really nice LG2 knockoff with a rounder tone than the Gibsons.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:02 AM

Yeah, thanks guys. Further googling shows that he has done quite a lot of Customs from several manufacturers, Martin included. Maybe the 2010s Larrivee customs were a passing fancy and now he's moved on to other brands . . .
Old 01-24-2022, 10:08 AM

A number of years back ( I think about 5 ) I called Ted to see about getting a Larrivée, all he wanted to sell me was a Martin, I went elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

You should contact Ted and ask him about the larrivee customs. He'll help if he can I'm sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion