The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Scared to Sell a Guitar

I have a guitar that I love tonally. It is an absolute specimen of what this guitar should be. It is a special guitar. I have considered selling it because the string spacing is hard on me playability wise when all my other guitars have wider nuts and string spacing.

My biggest fear is selling this guitar and not finding something similar tonally with a wider string spacing. More than anything I do not want to get rid of it and have that "one that got away" feeling as I search for something that fills that hole.

I don't need to sell it. I just really don't know what to do. It honestly is the best guitar I own and probably have ever owned minus the string spacing.

Should I get over myself and just adapt to the string spacing as much as possible? Should I sell it and search on?

Tough choices lie ahead.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvblues View Post
I have a guitar that I love tonally. It is an absolute specimen of what this guitar should be. It is a special guitar. I have considered selling it because the string spacing is hard on me playability wise when all my other guitars have wider nuts and string spacing.

My biggest fear is selling this guitar and not finding something similar tonally with a wider string spacing. More than anything I do not want to get rid of it and have that "one that got away" feeling as I search for something that fills that hole.

I don't need to sell it. I just really don't know what to do. It honestly is the best guitar I own and probably have ever owned minus the string spacing.

Should I get over myself and just adapt to the string spacing as much as possible? Should I sell it and search on?

Tough choices lie ahead.
You don’t “need” to sell. So don’t. Wait until you find something equal or better, then sell it. Don’t sell first; you’ll regret it. Meanwhile, play it and see if you get better on that neck.

What’s the guitar?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:25 PM

I think if you play it more you will adapt.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
You don’t “need” to sell. So don’t. Wait until you find something equal or better, then sell it. Don’t sell first; you’ll regret it. Meanwhile, play it and see if you get better on that neck.

What’s the guitar?
My 67 D-18
Old 01-22-2022, 08:42 PM

I have a 67 D-18 that I have thought about selling off and on through the years for the same reason. I've had it for 37 years and it pretty much sits in it's case while I play others that just feel roomier to play. But then I'll take it back out and it just seems like I've got a piece of history in my hands and I'm not sure I could let it go. Interestingly enough there's a 67 D-18 for sale in the classifieds right now.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:45 PM

I was facing something very similar so I just practiced more with the smaller string spacing and now I have no issues at all anymore.
Charter Member

The advantage of keeping it until you find something that you like as much if not more tonally is that you have it to compare to. If you sell it, you’ll never know for sure. Once you find a guitar that you like as much or more tonally and has the playability features you prefer, your mind will be more at ease selling it. It’s not like 1967 D-18s are depreciating, so you aren’t losing anything by holding onto it until you find “the one.”

Bring it to a good tech and see if it's possible to have a new nut made with slightly wider string spacing. I've done it for customers with skinnier necks who like wider spacing and you can often make a noticeable improvement.

When I started measuring the spacing at the nut on all the guitars that came through my shop, I was really surprised to see how many guitars with 1 3/4" nut widths had the same string spacing as guitars with 1 11/16" nuts.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Should I get over myself and just adapt to the string spacing...?
Yes! I used to think I needed a 1.75" nut, so I got EF500 Epiphone Masterbilts... 3 or 4 of them. The more you play, though, your fretting fingers "sharpen up" and you can play those 1.68" nut guitars with just a little adaptation. Good thing, too -- I love my jumbo Guild F50R!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Bring it to a good tech and see if it's possible to have a new nut made with slightly wider string spacing. I've done it for customers with skinnier necks who like wider spacing and you can often make a noticeable improvement.

When I started measuring the spacing at the nut on all the guitars that came through my shop, I was really surprised to see how many guitars with 1 3/4" nut widths had the same string spacing as guitars with 1 11/16" nuts.
That’s sage advice.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-22-2022, 10:25 PM

How long have you had the guitar? How much of a chance have you given yourself to adapt to it?

Do you think you are having trouble with it because you play your other guitars that have wider string spacing and transitioning to the D-18 is hard because of that? Have you tried playing the D-18 exclusively and frequently for a month or two?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
That’s sage advice.
No, it's Osage advice. But still good and well worth looking into. It might solve your difficulty. If not, then take the '67 with you when you go to look for guitars that sound as good to you, so you have a basis of comparison.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:13 AM

Question

Quote:
My 67 D-18
Isn't a 54-55 year old D-18 considered a vintage guitar?

Any sentimental value? A guitar passed down from someone significant? Tell us your story if you have one and if you feel comfortable to do so? If not, it's fine too...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-23-2022, 08:19 AM
Musical minimalist

Would you continue driving a Smart Car if you couldn't fit in it comfortably?

You are ALWAYS going to be fighting that instrument - I'm assuming it's 1 11/16 and narrow at the bridge too?

I've been in your position MANY times with 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 guitars. They just don't work for me, got to be wider or I'm constantly getting "zingers" and damping strings I'm not intending to.

It makes the playing experience not very pleasurable - your almost anticipating your mistakes.

Lots of fish in the sea.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:22 AM

I went that way...
Find the better one, then sell this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion