The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
If they would have just taken the original SC13e and upgraded the pickup system and charged another $300, I would have been happy.
Same here, and you can say that about many Martin guitars.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Same here, and you can say that about many Martin guitars.
Same here also. They could have just offered the same SC-13e in two finishes, forget the different veneers, and two pickup options. And everyone would be happy.

Most of the people who don't like this guitar have never played one. Most of the people who have played this guitar love it. That should tell you something!
Old 01-24-2022, 02:12 PM

I had a SECOND pandemic purchase, a 114e... I wonder how much better served the martin SC would be? This Taylor looks pretty similar spec'd.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 01-24-2022, 03:22 PM

I’ve yet to see one of these models in stores, but I’m dying to try one. If it plays the way you guys say it does and has good unplugged tone to boot, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one regardless of it’s appearance. I buy guitars to play them..not stare at them.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardsrback View Post
For me the upgrade to solid wood would be more about improving the tone unplugged at home...the SC's neck heel (or lack of) makes a big difference for me. That's where I'm having fun with it. So if I could have that same level of fun with a better tone at home, I'd be interested.

But my use is pretty specific...it's a guitar with acoustic tone, electric playability for leads, and that sounds good at home unplugged.
Well stated. There are probably plenty of folks who don't play for a living that still might love what this model provides.

I have been interested since the release and give Martin credit for the innovation. I really want to try one out. Playing comfort and fun are a big part of the draw for me. However, to me, once you start reaching these new option prices it better be crazy fun or rival the unplugged tone of the competitors. This is certainly in Martin's wheelhouse.

For professionals playing venues, the original is probably close to spot-on from the start short of electronics. Yet, most all players are wanting better stock electronics on most guitars!

Best,

Mac
Old 01-24-2022, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Those who wish Martin would have just "upgraded the SC-13E with a better pickup & charged +$300" ... that can be done aftermarket & you can get the pickup you want vs hoping Martin chooses one you like. No?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-24-2022, 10:02 PM

I'm not anti-cutaway in general, but I'm anti that particular cutaway. The shape is just awkward IMO, especially next to the bulbous looking upper bout. Deal killer right there.

The heelless heel is pretty cool though.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:33 PM

I think some posters are looking at too narrow a few and have forgotten about all the real differences this guitar has. It's not your normal Martin with laminate sides and back and a so-so pickup for that price. Go re-watch the release videos. And, as others have said, this is a gig guitar designed to allow easier leads, not play in bluegrass jams. It a very different tool. Stop comparing it to a traditionally built and shaped, and neck attached guitar that they make all day long.

It's not for you uber traditional " The best guitars are pre-war Martins " buyers that spend hours in forums discussing the intricate details of bracing patterns and placement. It's for people that have been looking elsewhere for the type of guitar that Martin didn't build. How many Taks are still played on stage where higher volumes can't be had with a D-18 and a mic?

This coming from someone who never seems to have a good thing to say about Martin guitars.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-25-2022, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Those who wish Martin would have just "upgraded the SC-13E with a better pickup & charged +$300" ... that can be done aftermarket & you can get the pickup you want vs hoping Martin chooses one you like. No?

How much do you think the Mx-t adds to the cost of the SC-13? In the past, I've seen new Sonotones on eBay for less than $20. I'd guess that Martin probably gets them for less than $10 and adds $30 to the price. It's no big deal if you replace it with something you like.

I've posted before that I think of the Sonotone/Mx-t, like seats that come on high-end bicycles. Nobody rides on the factory seat. In fact, most of those seats never leave the shop. Bicycle shops have been of OE seats for sale for $10. Believe me, when you are riding for hours every day, the seat on your bike is much more important than what pickup you use on your guitar!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
How much do you think the Mx-t adds to the cost of the SC-13? In the past, I've seen new Sonotones on eBay for less than $20. I'd guess that Martin probably gets them for less than $10 and adds $30 to the price. It's no big deal if you replace it with something you like.

I've posted before that I think of the Sonotone/Mx-t, like seats that come on high-end bicycles. Nobody rides on the factory seat. In fact, most of those seats never leave the shop. Bicycle shops have been of OE seats for sale for $10. Believe me, when you are riding for hours every day, the seat on your bike is much more important than what pickup you use on your guitar!
I agree about the seat. I suspect the sonitone undersaddle element is very inexpensive at the wholesale level. The entire package of UST, VT wheels, futuristic battery/endjack and muting tuner - that's another story. My point was just that if Martin came out with a better electronics package & raised the price by $300, some players might still be unhappy with that system too. For those who want an Anthem or Trance or (insert here) - it's not like Martin has to build it in.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-25-2022, 08:20 AM

I think it's overpriced for what it is. As others have said, it's clearly targeted to a different market than folks here. I played a SC-13e at my local shop a few months ago and it was a very fun guitar to play. Would make an excellent gigging guitar for those who have to have the Martin name.

Of course other companies do it better, etc. But it's a Martin.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
I had a SECOND pandemic purchase, a 114e... I wonder how much better served the martin SC would be? This Taylor looks pretty similar spec'd.
the Martin is easier to play due to the neck and lower string guage
Old 01-25-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I’ve yet to see one of these models in stores, but I’m dying to try one. If it plays the way you guys say it does and has good unplugged tone to boot, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one regardless of it’s appearance. I buy guitars to play them..not stare at them.
You don't buy this guitar for it's unplugged sound. You buy it to play plugged in. The plugged in sound is just "ok"....nothing inspiring.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Normally yes, but this system is not very easy to replace. I have done it myself twice. I would rather they just put the simple Sonitone in there. That would have made for a very simple swap. The tuner and the rest of the assembly makes it rather cumbersome to change out. Also the bracing makes it difficult for the Anthem's true mic to go where it's supposed to. You have the plastic battery housing of the MXT system and it's output jack hole, which you must reuse. Again, it's not easy to get a different system's output jack to fit securely in that same spot. If you have tried to swap out this system yourself, you would understand what I am talking about. It's not as simple as saying "just put what pickup you want in there". There's a reason why almost no one is doing it and the SC13e has been out for a year now.

Like others have said....I'm not sure why Martin is so focused on these other fancy woods for the back and sides and one new burst finish? You don't look at the back....the audience doesn't see the back. Who cares? Again....this was designed as a stage guitar. Why give it the worst possible pickup? It's like designing a brilliant race car, but putting cheap Continental street tires on it.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:23 AM

FYI - here's a photo of the back of the cutaway area and joint
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 9.20.52 AM.png (459.4 KB, 63 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion