The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Cable Patch Safari

Just a quick post regarding a recent patch cable rabbit hole i went down.

I was getting mixed results with my patch cables so I began the obsessive journey to procure the most transparent patch cables for my pedal board I could find.

I use a Monster Prolink (regular - not bright) as my guitar cable for electric and acoustic. I slated two different test groups:

1) one pedal - amp
2) pedalboard with four pedals - no buffers/buffered switches on

My control group for acoustic guitar - direct into a Zedi10FX, Strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue for electric.

Note: I did not test a "fully branded" Mogami cable because a few decades back, I selected Monster Cable Prolink as the most transparent when choosing between premium cables. Of course, that is subjective....YMMV

Test Cables:
Monster Pro Link 8"
Ernie Ball 4"
Fender Pro 6"
EBS 3"
WBC 6"

Results in Order
WBC 6" - the most transparent and musical.
Fender Pro 6" - slight boosts in the midrange, slight drop in the highs
Erne Ball 4" - slight boosts in the midrange, slight drop in the highs
Monster Pro Link 8" - slight boost in volume, slight increase in high end, not transparent
EBS 3" - increase in higher end, scooped around 3K, thinned out, not transparent

A fun experiment indeed! Good luck should you find yourself needing new cables because one thing is for certain, there are tons of options.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2022, 05:57 PM

If you think those sound good, you gotta try Evidence Audio Monorail (solderless).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification