The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2022, 11:07 AM

Definitely a mixed bag this weekend. Some decent play, lots of terrible play. Not sure adding a team is the way to go. There're always 2 or 3 teams that don't really belong anyway. Adding a team in each conference doesn't improve the quality of play by any means.

Plenty of terrible officiating. Hard to top the year the umps had. They were awful all year long.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Definitely a mixed bag this weekend. Some decent play, lots of terrible play. Not sure adding a team is the way to go. There're always 2 or 3 teams that don't really belong anyway. Adding a team in each conference doesn't improve the quality of play by any means.

Plenty of terrible officiating. Hard to top the year the umps had. They were awful all year long.
They don't care about improving the quality of play... they care about the money. An extra weekend of games and two extra playoffs games mean more money for the teams and the NFL.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-17-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

The Cowboys loss was a direct reflection on the coaching staff, and I am not talking about the last play either.

A team deserves to lose at the playoff level if they consistently commit pre-snap penalties. Delays of game, too many players in the huddle, illegal formations, false starts, not getting set prior to the snap, lining up in the neutral zone - a multitude of these sins are indicative of a coaching staff who fails to pay attention to the small details that make huge differences at the highest levels of competition.

What is really the more aggravating situation - your team has 3 and 1, makes a first down, which is negated by a holding penalty so now it is 3 and 11....or.... 3 and 1 and your team is called for an illegal shift, followed by a delay of game, and now its 3 and 11.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-17-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
From Wisconsin... you must know McCarthy very well. Any insights on him seeing him more than most when he coached there? I don't want to be mean, but I personally think he's nearly completely incompetent as a head coach. I'm sure he does something well football-wise, but head coaching is not one of them.
In Green Bay, McCarthy always started the game with 15-20 scripted offensive plays. Those usually worked pretty well. His first few years, he did a decent, if not great job. After that, it was the same things over and over. Other teams had him figured out, he just didn't change. He always made the
worst calls in high pressure situations.

It was pretty much the same deal with GM Ted Thompson and DC Dom Capers. The whole thing was just stale. So, we got rid of them.

Mike said during the year off, that he really changed his coaching style. It doesn't look that way to me.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 01-17-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
They don't care about improving the quality of play... they care about the money. An extra weekend of games and two extra playoffs games mean more money for the teams and the NFL.
I realize it's about money capt. obvious but to say the league doesn't care about the quality of the product they put on the field every week is just ridiculous. If they didn't, if ALL they cared about was the bottom line they wouldn't be the multi-billion dollar industry they are.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
I realize it's about money capt. obvious but to say the league doesn't care about the quality of the product they put on the field every week is just ridiculous. If they didn't, if ALL they cared about was the bottom line they wouldn't be the multi-billion dollar industry they are.
But this is CLEARLY about money.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-17-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
That was a horrible play choice. I couldn’t believe when I saw Dak run right through the middle like that. I thought he saw a huge hole to the end zone or something like that. But penalties really killed the cowboys today.
Brutal Cowboys play call by McCarthy. The thing is, if Dak would have executed it better by going down after gaining 10-12 yards and handing the ball to the ump he could have had a couple of extra seconds to spike the ball.

The Cowboys lead the NFL with penalties this season... and it was one of their downfalls in this game.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Brutal Cowboys play call by McCarthy. The thing is, if Dak would have executed it better by going down after gaining 10-12 yards and handing the ball to the ump he could have had a couple of extra seconds to spike the ball.

The Cowboys lead the NFL with penalties this season... and it was one of their downfalls in this game.

Yep. How many 2 and 20 situations last night alone?
Old 01-17-2022, 10:34 PM

LA came out on fire. The Cardinals looked defeated in the first quarter.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:25 AM

Enjoyed that Rams victory. Nice to see Stafford get his first playoff win.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I find that I enjoy the games more when I don't care about the teams or who wins. If it's a bad game, I go to something else.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-18-2022, 02:20 PM

Rams are going to give the Bucs a tough time next week.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Rams are going to give the Bucs a tough time next week.

And yet they’re still going to lose. Brady is going back to the super bowl against the bills. It’s gonna be epic and easy for me to root for him. [emoji13]
Old 01-18-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
And yet they’re still going to lose. Brady is going back to the super bowl against the bills. It’s gonna be epic and easy for me to root for him. [emoji13]

I am soooo not a Tom Brady fan, but I would absolutely not be surprised. He is a cagey old fart and one of the best, if not the best football player in history.

Much as I dislike him and much as I want to see Von Miller’s new team win, I have to appreciate the opportunity to see a true great play and, with some likelihood, pull it off yet again.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I am soooo not a Tom Brady fan, but I would absolutely not be surprised. He is a cagey old fart and one of the best, if not the best football player in history.

Much as I dislike him and much as I want to see Von Miller’s new team win, I have to appreciate the opportunity to see a true great play and, with some likelihood, pull it off yet again.

He is undoubtedly the greatest quarterback of all time. Anyone who still argues that is simply a hater. Remember how the Bucs looked less than perfect last season until the playoffs, and they became a completely different beast. That’s the post season Brady factor. The guy just knows how to win post season games.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic