The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Dirk CL is weak here in northern NJ. And the last few experiences were mixed. One time it was great - real musician... no nonsense... done deal and we both felt good. The next two have been sour. games. wasted time.
Yeah, that's too bad. I hear the AGF has some classifieds.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I left Hatebook for good! Social Media is quickly becoming the downfall of modern society.
I'll add that the other cesspool I've encountered, despite my better judgment, is the comments section in articles on the local paper. I don't know why I look, but it's a lot of people just looking to dunk on others. A new bakery is now serving gluten-free croissants? They probably voted for this person! Jack-knifed semi on the interstate? It's because of this demographic!

I'd chalk it up to the strength people find in anonymity, but as people have been writing, Facebook is not anonymous and people are picking fights there as if they are.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

the comments section in articles on the local paper.

The comments in the Wall Street Journal are often beyond
the pale as well.

-Mike
Old 01-11-2022, 04:04 PM

Exclamation LOL

"I got called a snowflake." Sal

Geez Sal, you Jersey guys are in a tough Facebook area. I'm waiting to see who gets called a "Twinkie"
Old 01-11-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Steve hahahaha I miss that guy. I actually worked with Paulie's daughter years ago...
Guy I worked with about 15 years ago was Tony Sirico's neighbor - got an autographed 8x10" that I had in my classroom as an inspiration to good behavior...
Old 01-11-2022, 05:05 PM

I'll never understand the attraction to FB. Never on it, never will be. Just a bunch of people with nothing better to do than promote their allegedly perfect lives and, as you found, to dump on everyone else. Please, you were not called a snowflake by "men", just a bunch of idiots on FB. Drop it and run!
Old 01-11-2022, 05:18 PM

I would never call someone named 'Sal' from Jersey a 'snowflake' ... I watched too many episodes of The Sopranos to know how that can end up for me.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-11-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I'll never understand the attraction to FB. Never on it, never will be. Just a bunch of people with nothing better to do than promote their allegedly perfect lives and, as you found, to dump on everyone else. Please, you were not called a snowflake by "men", just a bunch of idiots on FB. Drop it and run!
I think the fact that you're never on Facebook might explain why you don't understand the attraction to it. It's probably on the whole a terrible thing at all sorts of levels, but people do find some benefit from it. People find old friends, family, and, yes, community through the platform, and those can lead to genuine relationships being rekindled. I do not know most of my friends' and families' phone numbers or emails, especially ones to whom I haven't spoken in years, but I'm sure I can instantly find them on a social media platform. Also, lots of artists use Facebook or Instagram to spread news on tours, merch, etc., so people find utility in that. People can do that math on whether or not there's a net benefit to signing onto Facebook, but that math will look different to each person.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:22 PM

Get enough snowflakes in the same room and you can have a snowball fight.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The mods here are AWESOME, and that becomes apparent when you venture away from here.
This! ^^^^^
Old 01-12-2022, 11:28 AM

Facebook/social media is not to blame. It simply gave us a peek into the true nature of people. Don’t blame the tool, blame the wielder.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvrDxn View Post
Facebook/social media is not to blame. It simply gave us a peek into the true nature of people. Don’t blame the tool, blame the wielder.
Strongly disagree. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...4&postcount=51
Old 01-12-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
You are taking personal responsibility out of the equation. Nobody is forcing anybody to post anything.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:51 AM

Sorry (but certainly not surprised) that this happened to you, Sal. That said, you lost me at Facebook. I'm an Admin on a vehicle Forum with many active members from every walk of life, and I can tell you that based on our Forum Rules we instruct our Mods to reject/remove rules-violating posts and we do not have any tolerance for member-bashing (that's when the warnings and vacations get issued). I'm guessing the "moderated group" is controlled by the same type of person that called you a name.

Lol, grown men participating in name-calling in a guitar group. SMH.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

Last edited by rule18; 01-12-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
While I agree big social media platforms , like the Broadcast industry, definitely bare responsibility for better policing of themselves and agree like in the broadcast industry, the "freedom of speech" and "personal responsibility" argument for not doing anything , is short sighted and a bit specious .

OTOH the "just say no" view has some baring and validity also. BUT Given one does not exclude the other.
Hopefully we will reach some reasoning on all of that, before we have to completely redefine Democracy.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-13-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic