The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Elliot Capo VS. Shubb Fine Tune

In the spirit of providing fine-tuned personal experience for folks to consider (and not to mention the hunt for the perfect capo) I’ve decided to write my experiences with the best capo’s on the market.

To begin, let me say I’m a modern fingerstyle-forward player who dabbles in standard tuning, Drop D, DADGAD and DADF#AD. I also play music full-time, which involves strumming and flatpicking cover songs for several hours 3-6 days of the week. I have all my guitars set up to be easy to play yet no buzz and no high action. Normally use light gauge strings to avoid intonation issues and make it easier on my left hand.

I used standard Shubbs for a number of years then moved to the g7th performance 2 for the last two years. They’re both great and get the job done but I wanted a capo that wouldn’t put my strings out of tune when they were in altered tunings, saving me the drag of tuning between songs.

I pulled the trigger on an Elliot a few weeks ago and it delivered in spades. I was relieved that the money was well spent in that it was light-weight, the tuning stayed true, and it made me save time in between songs not having to tune. 100% happy!

Shubb’s take on this style of capo is called the “Fine Tune” and one came up for sale on here so I figured “why not, let’s snag it and see if there’s a big difference, If anything I’ll do my bread and butter gigs with the shubb and save the Elliot for serious gigs.”

After rigorous testing in standard and DADGAD tuning I came to a couple conclusions:

-The Elliot is superior in terms of tone preservation, the strings maintain great sustain and clarity. I’m not sure if this is because the Elliot is lighter or not, but it’s a pretty clear sonic difference. The Shubb “warms” the sound up and slightly cuts sustain, still an even response though.

-They both have equally accurate, true intonation up to the 5th fret. Past the 5th fret they will both make the low E go slightly sharp. I don’t mind that, personally, think it’s just the nature of the neck getting thicker so it’s hard for capo’s to accommodate, period. I really like that the Fine Tune has numbers on the wheel that you tighten, allowing you to turn it to 5 (in my Beneteau’s case) every time for a snug fit.

All in all I’m glad with both purchases. Just wanted to let folks know my experience. If you got the money, just get an Elliot....but the Shubb Fine Tune is truly the best under $100 that I’ve tried!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-13-2018, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the analysis!

Another nice one, along the lines of these 2, is the newish G7 Heritage capo. (I know, like you need yet another... :-) It's in the same class as the Elliot in terms of build quality (and price), and I like both the tone and the intonation. It's also nice that it comes in a couple of widths - the wider model easily fits a 2-inch nut, and there's a 12-string model that does a nice job of dealing with the high-tuned strings. I tried one and instantly ordered a 2nd.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Thanks for the analysis!

Another nice one, along the lines of these 2, is the newish G7 Heritage capo. (I know, like you need yet another... :-) It's in the same class as the Elliot in terms of build quality (and price), and I like both the tone and the intonation. It's also nice that it comes in a couple of widths - the wider model easily fits a 2-inch nut, and there's a 12-string model that does a nice job of dealing with the high-tuned strings. I tried one and instantly ordered a 2nd.
I have all of the ones mentioned and agree with Doug. The Heritage is very nice and worthy of consideration. I especially like the Cam technology that allows the capo’s pressure bar to adjust to fit guitar fretboards that have different radii. I own guitars that range from a 14” to 20” radius and the Heritage works equally well on each.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the analysis!

Thanks for the recommendation! If I see one come up used I think I will buy it. Is it lighter than Shubb’s Fine tune?

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Great and timely thread. I'm like you in almost all aspects - primarily a fingerstyle player and for years now was happy with my very simple, inexpensive and yet highly functional Planet Waves NS capo. But I was drawn to the yoke style both in terms of advertised function and good looks. Not so much the price though. So when a Shubb Fine Tune popped here in the classifieds along with a pedal I was interested in, I made an offer on both.

I've have been very pleasantly surprised with the function of the Shubb Fine Tune. One of the issues I had with the PW NS was the uneven tensioning mostly on the low E that would require a little tweaking between capo changes. Not much, but just enough to require at least a check. Not so with the Shubb FT. I don't capo above the 4th fret these days so I have not tested your theory about the low E above the 5th fret.

In addition to the function the build quality is very nice and I love the delicate look of the capo as well. I'm still finding that I need to use two hands to perfectly position the capo prior to tightening but that might change as I get used to it. I find that I don't look/use the numbers on the tightening wheel and rather just go by feel.

I still think that even $75 is a ridiculous price to pay for a capo so finding and trying an Elliot is likely not in the cards. I will say that since I have found that I like the Shubb FT so much that I'm considering finding another used one. Then there is also the Paige yoke style capos which sell for much less. I'm assuming that at those bargain prices they do not have the material or build-quality of the Shubb or Elliot models but for $20 it would be worth trying one as a backup or for a second guitar.

The Shubb I bought came with the old style clear tubing so I have ordered a replacement black rubber one which I have read is much preferred. Price direct from Shubb was just $2 including shipping so that was a no-brainer. It will be interesting to see how that changes things.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-13-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the analysis!

Dear Doug, firstly I am a huge fan of your playing and lessons!!! I came across this message while researching capos. I am buying a capo for multiple guitars - Collings 12 frets (13/16th, 12/13) but also a Lowden F35 GL profile neck and a slimmer OM 11/16th. Would a wide G7 be ok for all or would you recommend a regular + wide capo?

Happy Christmas - keep up the great work
Billy Collins

Collings 0002h 12 AT SB Joe Henry Custom
Collings 01 mh 12 Fret
Lowden F35c - Ancient Cuban Mahogany / Adirondack
Collings OM2H - IR/SS
Old 12-23-2021, 05:07 AM

I own an Elliot and I LOVE it. One note regarding Elliot capos and intonation: they are made for a specific fretboard radius. Some guitars have a compound radius, like my Collings D1AT, others have fixed radii, like most Martins. The Elliot will pull strings sharp if you don’t have a close enough match between the bar radius and neck radius. With compound radius fretboards, obviously it will work better in certain points on the neck than in others.

So if you’re going to spend the $$$, make sure you get the right radius!
Old 12-23-2021, 05:43 AM

I have a Kat Eyz capo which is very similar to the Elliott (sp) although the Kat Eyz is actually even smaller and lighter by a slight amount.

On my better guitar, the one for which the Kat Eyz was custom made, I notice much the same results as you have when comparing to my Planet Waves NS. The guitar sounds more like its un-capo'd self in terms of tone preservation. Quite a bit of difference, to my ears (I'm using a flatpick BTW).

That said, I have an inexpensive but IMO quite nice Eastman dreadnought as my travel/backup guitar and there's something about the sound of it with the Kat Eyz on that I don't care for. Can't describe it but it almost deadens the sound slightly. The cheapo Planet Waves NS does alter the tone of the guitar somewhat but in a pleasant way.

I assume in my case it's because the Eastman E1D has a chunkier neck and slightly flatter fretboard radius than the guitar from which I supplied the measurements for the Kat Eyz. I like the Kat Eyz so much that I'd be halfway tempted to order up a second one, sized for the Eastman. But the NS capo sounds so nice (and I so rarely capo that guitar) that it would be a waste.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for the review, Dustin. I love the Elliotts and have a regular and a wide. I also have a Heritage which works very well. I have used the wide model on all of my guitars and it works fine. The Heritage ART system adapts to different fret board radiuses but you could also email them and ask. They are very responsive to customers as is Elliott.
Best,
Jayne
Old 12-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the excellent review. I agree the Elliott is worth every penny.

Not to be pejorative, but I suspect there are players who use an inexpensive capo and don't hear the tuning discrepancies. As always, I recommend no one pay for quality they can't hear or appreciate.

I would appreciate it if you could add the phrase "to my ears" when you insist that your guitar/capo/can opener, etc. is "just as good" as the model at four times the price. But using what makes you happy just makes sense to me. Enjoy your stuff and make good music.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Default Elliot Capo VS. Shubb Fine Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
I own an Elliot and I LOVE it. One note regarding Elliot capos and intonation: they are made for a specific fretboard radius. Some guitars have a compound radius, like my Collings D1AT, others have fixed radii, like most Martins. The Elliot will pull strings sharp if you don’t have a close enough match between the bar radius and neck radius. With compound radius fretboards, obviously it will work better in certain points on the neck than in others.

So if you’re going to spend the $$$, make sure you get the right radius!

I agree 100%! I kept hearing Bill Stokes Showcase capos when I was ready to make the step into the Yoke style capos and everyone said I needed to call Bill, as he was a wealth of knowledge. We talked about his capos and I asked him about the G7th Heritage compared to his. One of the very first things he asked me is what guitars I was getting my capo for. When I told him my Martin D41 and my Bourgeois, he got my number and said he’d call me back in a few. In the meantime, he called Bourgeois and got the specs for their necks and when he called me back, he recommended he build one of his for my D41 with its 16” radius neck and then recommended I get a Heritage for my Bourgeois due to it having a compound radius neck and explained how his wouldn’t be the best for a compound radius, but the ART system on the G7th would be just fine for it. I happily have both capos now and they’re fantastic, yet expensive tools that perform flawlessly.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-23-2021, 09:53 AM

Just a little side note on the Elliott and Radius. Per Elliott you can adjust the bar to increase or decrease the Radius. They will instruct how or the offer the service to Elliott owners (just pay shipping). I have a 12" for my Eastman and Gibson and when I got the Collings I could not find the recommended 17" so they offered to adjust the 12". I did find a dealer that had the 17" in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it. But if you change the guitar that you are using the Elliott on its an option.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:30 AM

The fine tune is great until is starts popping open mid tune. I’ve given up with mine.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-23-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Dustin, do you place your capo on top of the fret? That position is the only one that I have found that doesn't pull a string or two (or more) out of tune, regardless of which capo I use. The downside is that it is a tone killer of sorts.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-23-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
The fine tune is great until is starts popping open mid tune. I’ve given up with mine.
Never happened with mine. Are you bumping the latch with your fretting hand? That's the only way I can think to pop it open.

Just a thought.

I got mine shortly after they were introduced & love it. I know there are more expensive yolk capos but I can't see spending more than I did for my Shubb Fine Tune. The Elliot looks like a very nice one, though.

The Shubb is like a piece of fine "jewelry" for the guitar IMO. Works great, as well!

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion