The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM

Isn't it the older one's that get you? Whatever it be, they all age and sound good, don't they?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
The 1971 Martin D-28, which I bought new in 1971 as a 20 year old working musician, selling all my electric gear to get it.

<snip>

Yeah, I'm attached to it...
Great story and great looking guitar!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
I bought this Martin D12-28 12 string in 1977 brand new from Manny's in New York. Played it over 30 years in churches, on the mission field, and for my sweeheart-now-wife.

<snip>

I sold her last year to a good Ohio home where her fresh neck reset should keep her playing another 30+ years.
Wow! I can honestly say, "I did not see that coming!" You sold it after all those years. It would pretty cool to be the new owner though. You had to have left some of your soul in that guitar.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM

I've talked about by Uncle's 1967 J45 that he let me cut my teeth on for years as a teen. That's pretty sentimental because he passed away and it was mine for awhile. but it's also obvious.

I swear I am terribly attached to my cheap DCX Martin. It sound's odd right? I dont know what it is. It's a $600 laminate guitar that some here, have even suggested it's not a real Martin. That's ok- I get it.

For me it was the first real acoustic that I sounded pro though after years of playing on low end acoustics. I think I got lucky because people, soundmen and musicians alike, were always shocked to find out it was a DCX. Most thought it was some high end Martin.

I recorded and wrote tons of material on it with a guitar player that I met out of the blue one night that ended up turning into one of my best friends ever. That kind of stuff doesn't happen much when you're 40. I played countless gigs that supported my family with it and played it at family funerals and weddings.

At my Grandmother's funeral I ran back into the church to grab my guitar while everyone was eating in the church hall. It was just me, the casket and my guitar in this huge church. I busted it out and sang Amazing Grace to Grams while nobody was around. It was incredible.

I opened the case one day to find the entire top had become separated from the sides. I almost cried. There was a hole in the bottom. I fixed it with epoxy myself and it never changed the tone.It''s been through so much that it's pretty much time to only play it at home now.

My wife just bought me a beautiful Taylor and I'm grateful and I'm in love with playing it but it's still like a little stepbrother right now until it goes though some stuff with me.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I drooled over the 000-42EC when they first came out, but at the time they were well out of my price range. Plus, with only 461 of them made, they were gone in a heartbeat. So, when the 000-28EC's came out, I played one, fell in love, and was able to eventually acquire one--selling my 20th anniversary Taylor XX-MC to get it.

I liked the 28's understated vintage look, but was still awed by the pearl adournments on the 42; so, some years later I sent my guitar to inlay artist David Nichols at Custom Pearl Inlays to have some pearl work done. He removed the herringbone around the top and inlayed style 41 pearl, removed the Martin decal on the headplate & inlayed the CF Martin logo style 45 pearl, plus added pearl dotted bridge & end pins. Recently I added a Fishman Matrix Infinity system, which when plugged direct into my Loudbox Mini sounds magnificent (the most true acoustic tone I've yet to hear from a pick-up).

I couldn't be happier and love my customized Martin 000-28EC. I don't know what these additions may add or subtract from the value of the guitar, but I could care less. She's a player, a looker, and exactly the way I want her. Yes, I'm attached...she ain't going anywhere!

Thanks,
Dale

Pre-customization

Post customization

Last edited by drplayer; 04-01-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added some pics
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I love these threads! If the hurricane's coming and I have room for one guitar it will be my 00-21NY. It's the third six-string I bought (worked my way up from a Gibson LGO and a Goya pin-bridge slot head). It was NOS (although we didn't know that term then, it was just a guitar the shop had not sold for two years). I bought it in 1964 for $150 and it's had one trip to Nazareth for some minor work. I really wanted an 0-45 but couldn't afford it so I had Bozo add some inlay after I'd had it for a year or so. It's been everywhere with me, I've written 90% of my songs on it. Now it only goes out to the studio, it's no longer a gigging guitar (I bought a beat up '53 00-18 in 2010 that is my gigging guitar). Here are some of my favorite pictures of it, when we both were young, singing for my young son, singing at his wedding

here's the 00-18 last summer

Last edited by jgmaute; 04-01-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Factory-made guitars are appliances, like toasters. The one I won't sell is a Lado bass that my mother bought for me back in 1980, although I hardly ever play it.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyver View Post
Factory-made guitars are appliances, like toasters. The one I won't sell is a Lado bass that my mother bought for me back in 1980, although I hardly ever play it.
Ouch! LOL! You've obviously never played the right individual collection of wood & wire & bone from the right factory...
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
I love these threads! If the hurricane's coming and I have room for one guitar it will be my 00-21NY. It's the third six-string I bought (worked my way up from a Gibson LGO and a Goya pin-bridge slot head). It was NOS (although we didn't know that term then, it was just a guitar the shop had not sold for two years). I bought it in 1964 for $150 and it's had one trip to Nazareth for some minor work. I really wanted an 0-45 but couldn't afford it so I had Bozo add some inlay after I'd had it for a year or so. It's been everywhere with me, I've written 90% of my songs on it. Now it only goes out to the studio, it's no longer a gigging guitar (I bought a beat up '53 00-18 in 2010 that is my gigging guitar).
Great guitar and history; I can see why you are attached.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Wow! I can honestly say, "I did not see that coming!" You sold it after all those years. It would pretty cool to be the new owner though. You had to have left some of your soul in that guitar.
It was played around quite a few good souls over the years - many of them have passed on. One lady I accompanied occasionally was a fantastic singer and had trained in opera. She's singing with the angels now....

I think the guitars deposit more in us than we do in them - they open possibilities in sound, emotion and worship we would find difficult to express otherwise!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I love these threads! If the hurricane's coming and I have room for one guitar it will be my 00-21NY. ...
Hi JGM,

I loved your photos and your story!

Thanks, Glenn
Old 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM

If I could only keep one, it would be my R7 Goldtop. If I HAD to choose an acoustic, it would be my 00-18V.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM

I don't "change my guitars like socks" nor do I love them.
I have owned around 100 in 50 years. Some I have had for a week others 15 years, and have owned a few at the same time. To me it's like cars.. I've owned 113 to date.. some a few days some for 30 years, often a few at a time. Same applies to motorcycles, around 50 and bicycles, mandolins and button accordeons.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Like the OP, I have to say I am pretty attached to my Collings guitars. Can't see letting them go - ever. "till death or debt do us part.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I love these threads! If the hurricane's coming and I have room for one guitar it will be my 00-21NY. It's the third six-string I bought (worked my way up from a Gibson LGO and a Goya pin-bridge slot head). It was NOS (although we didn't know that term then, it was just a guitar the shop had not sold for two years). I bought it in 1964 for $150 and it's had one trip to Nazareth for some minor work. I really wanted an 0-45 but couldn't afford it so I had Bozo add some inlay after I'd had it for a year or so. It's been everywhere with me, I've written 90% of my songs on it. Now it only goes out to the studio, it's no longer a gigging guitar (I bought a beat up '53 00-18 in 2010 that is my gigging guitar). Here are some of my favorite pictures of it, when we both were young, singing for my young son, singing at his wedding

here's the 00-18 last summer
I like your post ^^ its a good wee story
also nice pics

As for guitars i aint really been at it to long to give out a statement
regards keepers but i reckon sentimentality plays a big role
with say your Mother or Father or someone close to you either bought you
the guitar or gave you the money to buy such then it would be a keeper for life..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion