The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's very possible that you just had the wrong one installed. That's why I always order the pickup myself and then bring it in to have it installed. I have run into that issue before where the dealer thought they had the newest version of a pickup only for me to find out later on that they installed an older model.

With that said, it kind of sounds like what you require is not so much a natural tone as something that's super feedback resistant. How loud do you play? One option is the aura spectrum to pair with your Matrix.
Thank you. I typically don’t play loud. Mainly play in church or small settings. Maybe 50 people and usually quite settings.

I thought about the Spectrum many times. It’s just expensive. But I see some used one for reasonable pricing. I have so many devices now, I just hate to buy more.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's very possible that you just had the wrong one installed. That's why I always order the pickup myself and then bring it in to have it installed. I have run into that issue before where the dealer thought they had the newest version of a pickup only for me to find out later on that they installed an older model.

With that said, it kind of sounds like what you require is not so much a natural tone as something that's super feedback resistant. How loud do you play? One option is the aura spectrum to pair with your Matrix.
Has the formula for the Kk mini remained the same or has it been tweaked over the years? I have one from 2010 that is boomier than the one I bought in 2019. Although the 2010 guitar is slightly more bass heavy. But nothing drastic.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

oops sucked into a legacy thread…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-24-2022, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
Has the formula for the Kk mini remained the same or has it been tweaked over the years? I have one from 2010 that is boomier than the one I bought in 2019. Although the 2010 guitar is slightly more bass heavy. But nothing drastic.
Hi peanutavalon…
I wonder if you got an original Pure Mini (which is still sold, but advertised for 12 string guitars).

Those sensors were a full 15mm each and bassy, bassy, bassy (out of control bassy).

The new K&K Pure Mini sensors are 12mm and the tone is far better controlled.

Some people feel the preamp needs to be a certain impedance to operate correctly, but I've run them with about every preamp under the sun and have always been able to control/tame them (that's what tone & EQ controls are useful for).

Are you using an external preamp?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-25-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi peanutavalon…
I wonder if you got an original Pure Mini (which is still sold, but advertised for 12 string guitars).

Those sensors were a full 15mm each and bassy, bassy, bassy (out of control bassy).

The new K&K Pure Mini sensors are 12mm and the tone is far better controlled.

Some people feel the preamp needs to be a certain impedance to operate correctly, but I've run them with about every preamp under the sun and have always been able to control/tame them (that's what tone & EQ controls are useful for).

Are you using an external preamp?

I think you’re right. I have a newer pick up in my possession and the diode heads are much smaller than what is installed in my older Collings. I’m going to have it pulled out and install the newer one. Too much bass.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
I think you’re right. I have a newer pick up in my possession and the diode heads are much smaller than what is installed in my older Collings. I’m going to have it pulled out and install the newer one. Too much bass.
Hi again pa…
I'd at least have someone measure to be sure.

It it is the old-style K&K then the new one will surely reduce the bass (it will not disappear).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi again pa…
I'd at least have someone measure to be sure.

It it is the old-style K&K then the new one will surely reduce the bass (it will not disappear).

I understand. I know for a fact that the pick up in the older guitar is at least 10 years old.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

K&Ks are, along with virtually every other piezo pickup, a one size fits some proposition. I bought a guitar, a D 35 Custom, that had K&Ks already in it. I hated them. After years of nothing but pickups matched to each guitar (Dazzos), I couldn't cope with the amount of bass I needed to roll off, everything my amp had and more from the pre. On a scale of 50 to 100, Dazzos generally come in increments of 10, with 50 being the least bass, and 100 being the most, my D 35 ended up with the first 55 set Teddy made. On the other hand, my Guild D 35 was happy with 70s, the pickup in the center of the range. So a K&K could be perfect for an average mahogany dread, but not ideal for many other guitars. I had a 0 size Pono that needed more bass and got 100s. Could you have a pickup you needed to boost bass for on a small guitar? Sure. I later got an 0 size Pono 12 string and 100s were too bassy so that got 90s. I have six guitars with only one getting the "average" 70 set. 70 is probably the one you could make work for all, hence the frequency response is probably close to the K&K.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-25-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
My experience with about 10 or so guitars that I have owned with would suggest as much. Your experiences/thoughts?

And would that be true of SBT’s in general?
After many installs in various guitars I came to the conclusion that It's not the body size but the stiffness of the bridgeplate. Had great sounding installs in dreads and deep body OM and muddy sounds coming from my 0017. Did not like it in Authentic D28 and OM28 but sounds great in a friend's 90s D45. Very well balanced in my 1948 J50.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification