The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Suggest a topic for Youtube video playlist: "Vintage Parlor Guitar Repair Tips"

Greetings and Happy New Year to all,

We're working on a new Youtube channel designed to share tips, tools and methods that I use in the repair and rebuilding of old parlor guitars. The focus will be to help players, tinkerers and hobbyists understand more about their old guitar and discover just how much they can be a part of the guitar's repair, upkeep and care with a little help along the way. (...and by the way, most of the repair tips we might cover will apply to old acoustic guitars regardless of body size so don't worry if you're not into old parlor guitars.)

So far the channel will revolve around four distinct topics or playlists, but the one I'd like your input on is the playlist that will focus on REPAIR TIPS. I've been jotting down ideas for the awhile now and the list is growing. I've got content ranging from how to make a pyramid bridge to how magnets are useful in the repair of old guitars to what to watch out for when scouting for your first "barn find" and a bunch more. But I'll never think of the topics you might like covered so that's where you come in.

Let me know what you'd like to see covered in a video on old parlor guitar repair. Suggest a title for the video and a few words on what you think would be important to cover. To put it another way, if one goal of the channel is to help the average Joe learn more about fixing old guitars then tell me, Joe, what would you like to know?

I can't promise that I'll use every suggestion but I can promise that the channel will help the average person breakdown some of the obstacles that might be preventing them from getting started on their first project or maybe finishing one that’s stuck in first gear. The topics will be interesting, enjoyable and no-nonsense and the content will be heavy on substance and light on fluff.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for your contributions and insights.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:24 AM

Show how to do neck resets, a common problem with old guitars
Old 01-25-2022, 08:06 AM

You can never have enough information on evaluating and diagnosing guitars. I'd love to see a group that starts with several old junkers and then walks through what are the problems with the instruments, what are the solutions, and is it worth attempting a repair?

best,

Rick
Old 01-25-2022, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, both, for chiming in. Each of these subjects is a home run topic for the Repair Tips playlist.

To demystify the neckset process on an old guitar is a query shared by many an old guitar owner(or would-be purchaser). Each of us can look back in time and find something that we were scared to death to try, only to find out after our first success how manageable it was all along. You can definitely count of this topic being included on the channel.

A complete separate playlist entitled "Barn Finds" will do just that, Rick, taking the guitar from the day it arrives at the shop and following the steps taken to rebuild the guitar right through to a video soundclip just before it's ready to ship out. Reviewing the reasons why other guitars were passed over should be equally helpful. We are definitely on the same page on this subject.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:04 PM
Guitar Gourmet

"Why and how: converting from floating bridge to set bridge"

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-26-2022, 06:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Excellent topic, Bob, and one of the most common "upgrades" that customers request from the shop.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've received some questions off-thread about submitting ideas that pertain to old acoustic guitars but not necessarily parlors guitars, specifically, and the answer is "YES". Most of the repair tips we might cover will apply to old acoustic guitars regardless of body size so don't worry if you don't own or you're not into old parlors.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:40 AM

I don’t have any suggestions but I this sounds like a great idea for a YouTube channel. I would subscribe for sure!
Old 02-06-2022, 12:09 PM

One more idea: Failures… what I didn't see coming and what I wish I had seen in advance.

We learn as much, and maybe more from the cases that didn't make it as we do from the ones that are successful.

Rick
Old 02-07-2022, 06:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Spot on, Rick
I'm working on a such a series as we speak. As a self-taught noodler, trial and error was the only way I learned what works and what doesn't, what to buy and what to stay away from, etc. You can count on this series on the channel.

Last edited by vintageparlors; 02-07-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I don’t have any suggestions but I this sounds like a great idea for a YouTube channel. I would subscribe for sure!
Thanks Kyle, looking forward to your support.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:06 PM

FWIW I run a channel on TikTok doing building and repair and I basically cover everything. People seem to like all aspects of it. So I would suggest you just shoot everything. Doing a neck reset, refret, cracked sides, loose brace and so on. Even just restringing. Just cover it all. The more content you put up the more it will get out there too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair