The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice, if I were to list features I'd want on a guitar, that one hits the spot.
It would be fun to hear it in your very capable hands!
Old 01-23-2022, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Tom that is a gorgeous instrument! You inspired me to give my Kronbauer some love today.

Funny how some of those things work. In 9th grade I was not interested in motorcycles in any way beyond the typical teen age obsession with motorized transportation.

I remember seeing a Honda Interceptor, new and freshly released on display at the movie theatre and being struck by something about it. It stuck with me.

Fast forward 8 years and I have started to ride and fate provides the opportunity for a broke ***** college kid to come across the exact one I saw that has sat for seven years missing pieces etc with 800 miles on it. It became my first ever sport bike.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Anyone have a story like this? Falling in love with a guitar you already had?

I use to be pretty disciplined about rotating through all my guitars on a regular basis, but for some reason I have gotten a little lazy in my old age. Some of my guitars end up sitting in their cases for a while until I realize, hey, it's been a year or two since I played X guitar.

So as Tom noted, I pull that guitar out, change the strings, clean it up, and VOILA! Suddenly I remember why I bought the guitar in the first place.

I just went through this on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice (2002). I hadn't played it for a quite a while, but I got into studying one of the Beatles' songs ("Nowhere Man") and decided I wanted to use that AJ for the acoustic strumming part. It worked perfectly for covering John Lennon's acoustic playing, but getting that guitar out allowed me to rediscover this guitar again.

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Anyone have a story like this? Falling in love with a guitar you already had?

I use to be pretty disciplined about rotating through all my guitars on a regular basis, but for some reason I have gotten a little lazy in my old age. Some of my guitars end up sitting in their cases for a while until I realize, hey, it's been a year or two since I played X guitar.

So as Tom noted, I pull that guitar out, change the strings, clean it up, and VOILA! Suddenly I remember why I bought the guitar in the first place.

I just went through this on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice (2002). I hadn't played it for a quite a while, but I got into studying one of the Beatles' songs ("Nowhere Man") and decided I wanted to use that AJ for the acoustic strumming part. It worked perfectly for covering John Lennon's acoustic playing, but getting that guitar out allowed me to rediscover this guitar again.

- Glenn
Great story Glenn. It is nice to have those options.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I miss the Podium terribly.
It was a wonderful place to visit. Sooooo many wonderful instruments. And a crew of knowledgeable people very happy to encourage your GAS problem.
Though in truth they never offered a cure.....
Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Jeez, what was I thinking, and NGD with no photos:

Attachment 68674 Attachment 68675

Attachment 68676 Attachment 68677

Attachment 68678
That thing is a beautiful piece.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I miss the Podium terribly.
It was a wonderful place to visit. Sooooo many wonderful instruments. And a crew of knowledgeable people very happy to encourage your GAS problem.
Though in truth they never offered a cure.....
Agreed, my memories are from many years ago, but all fond ones. I never was in the store after it was sold and changed hands. I was half in awe and half let me at it when I was in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
That thing is a beautiful piece.

Thank you, it really is and I am glad to have it. Remarkable shape too for 10 years old. Plays like a dream, my playing is a nightmare, but that is not the guitars fault!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Tom, your fantastic thread caught my attention because I recently experienced something similar.

In November 2020 I got lucky and scored a mind-blowing 1933 Martin 0-17. For the first couple of months, I played it pretty much non-stop. As time went by, I gradually returned to my normal rotation pattern of anywhere from a few days to a few weeks on each guitar, cycling through the Martin, the Claxton and the Circa.

I was in such a happy place that by last summer I started thinking about selling my Baranik Retreux Parlor. After all, the 0-17 fully satisfied my small box Jones. I hadn't even taken the Baranik out of its case in months and certainly could have used the cash (which is still true, but I digress).

I lent it to a friend for a week-long trial period, and while he really loved the guitar, he's only an occasional player and decided not to buy it in the end. So back in the closet it went.

A month or two later, however, I decided to take it on a three-week vacation. You can all see where this is going, right?

I fell in love with the Retreux Parlor all over again! Firstly, it's the same size as a Martin 1, which makes it even more couch-friendly than the single-0. Then there's the fact that, although it's boxier than the Martin, it has more sustain, plus a modern timbre that is especially pleasing when playing chords. It quickly became apparent to me that acquiring the Martin hadn't rendered the Baranik redundant in the slightest, au contraire! Needless to say, I've expanded my rotation roster to include the Retreux Parlor ever since.

I also feel like I had a narrow escape from seller's remorse. Over the past 20 years, I've sold quite a few great acoustics, including two larger Baraniks, with no regrets whatsoever. But this pint-sized charmer was my first single-luthier guitar and always was my favorite Baranik of all. And as I took it out this morning for its first at bat on this cycle of the roster, I smiled in rapture as it swept me off my yet again...

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 02-03-2022, 10:27 AM

I have a 10 year old Breedlove American Series dread that I picked up from eBay because it was silly cheap… I only get it out when I’m going somewhere I don’t want to bring my other guitars, but every time I do, I’m impressed that it gives up very little to a D-28. It’s fun every time!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:58 AM

I just put D'addario XS mediums on my D-41 and it literally sounds like a new guitar! Louder, better tone and weirdly, the bass-biased voicing is more balanced now! It will wear no other strings, as long as I own it!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-03-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hey, Tom, your fantastic thread caught my attention because I recently experienced something similar.

In November 2020 I got lucky and scored a mind-blowing 1933 Martin 0-17. For the first couple of months, I played it pretty much non-stop. As time went by, I gradually returned to my normal rotation pattern of anywhere from a few days to a few weeks on each guitar, cycling through the Martin, the Claxton and the Circa.

I was in such a happy place that by last summer I started thinking about selling my Baranik Retreux Parlor. After all, the 0-17 fully satisfied my small box Jones. I hadn't even taken the Baranik out of its case in months and certainly could have used the cash (which is still true, but I digress).

I lent it to a friend for a week-long trial period, and while he really loved the guitar, he's only an occasional player and decided not to buy it in the end. So back in the closet it went.

A month or two later, however, I decided to take it on a three-week vacation. You can all see where this is going, right?

I fell in love with the Retreux Parlor all over again! Firstly, it's the same size as a Martin 1, which makes it even more couch-friendly than the single-0. Then there's the fact that, although it's boxier than the Martin, it has more sustain, plus a modern timbre that is especially pleasing when playing chords. It quickly became apparent to me that acquiring the Martin hadn't rendered the Baranik redundant in the slightest, au contraire! Needless to say, I've expanded my rotation roster to include the Retreux Parlor ever since.

I also feel like I had a narrow escape from seller's remorse. Over the past 20 years, I've sold quite a few great acoustics, including two larger Baraniks, with no regrets whatsoever. But this pint-sized charmer was my first single-luthier guitar and always was my favorite Baranik of all. And as I took it out this morning for its first at bat on this cycle of the roster, I smiled in rapture as it swept me off my yet again...

That is a great story and the perfect compliment to this thread. Exactly what I was getting at. That is a beautiful guitar BTW. I love the dark binding as it frames the beautiful light top. Yep, don't sell that one!
Old 02-03-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
I have a 10 year old Breedlove American Series dread that I picked up from eBay because it was silly cheap… I only get it out when I’m going somewhere I don’t want to bring my other guitars, but every time I do, I’m impressed that it gives up very little to a D-28. It’s fun every time!
I think Breedloves are great. It was all I could do from buying a CM that was just in the classifieds, but alas, I have other bills that I need to deal with. Great guitar to take with you for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I just put D'addario XS mediums on my D-41 and it literally sounds like a new guitar! Louder, better tone and weirdly, the bass-biased voicing is more balanced now! It will wear no other strings, as long as I own it!
Yep, we can forget why we got them in the first place sometimes and then they jump out at you and say "Hey, here I am again"!!!
Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I remember the demo of Carl Miner playing that one very well, it sounded beautiful!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion