The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-12-2022, 04:38 PM

Oh my, major improvement in the aesthetics IMO.

I never liked the big oval "plate" logo on the headstock, and I am a sucker for a clean fretboard with something stylish at the 12th fret.

The new inlaid logo and swoop marking at the 12th fret look fabulous by my taste.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Just received an email from McPherson announcing the new changes for 2022:

2022 FEATURES INCLUDE

Gotoh 510 Precision Tuning Machines (1:21 Ratio) in black or gold
Classic Black Headcap with Pearl Inlay
Mother of Pearl wave inlay at the 12th fret
All EVO Frets

Then, there is also the new "Camo" pattern top. All this has been discussed already in this thread, so this is just a brief recap direct from the McPherson email.

As far as I can determine, since nothing was said otherwise in the email, nothing has been done to bracing, carbon formulations, etc., so the sound should remain unchanged.

These new changes are relatively minor, though I would think that all models having EVO frets might be welcome by many potential buyers.

Personally, I still prefer the honeycomb top to their other offerings. Though I would like Gotoh tuners, there is nothing that I can determine wrong with the Schallers, so I will likely stay with what I already have.

Tony
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

You may or may not know that Mcpherson also make Mathews Archery bows, I think the camo is targeting the hunting cabin jam market.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
You may or may not know that Mcpherson also make Mathews Archery bows, I think the camo is targeting the hunting cabin jam market.
I'm not a bow hunter but I'm intrigued by the finish. I'm hoping to see more pics of it soon
Old 01-20-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I knew that because my nephew is a bow hunter and he often says that McPherson makes the finest hunting bows in the world. These things look like real mechanical contraptions to me, but apparently bow hunters love them. I never mentioned it because I figured most people already knew this.

Tony
Old 01-21-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Another thought regarding McPherson...

Once they have put together a guitar design that works according to what they wanted to build, they don't seem to mess with the basic design much, if at all. Changing the color or the tuners isn't messing with the fundamental design and resulting sound or playability.

In one of those NAMM interviews, McPherson said that with their carbon fiber guitar development, they would not put their name on the guitar until they were satisfied with the quality of the design and implementation. Notice that for a while, they were selling Michael Kelly carbon fiber guitars, and then eventually switched to selling carbon fiber guitars with their name on them.

There is a very noticeable difference in the quality of the guitar, in my experience having played both, between those with the Michael Kelly name and those with the McPherson name. I would be very surprised if there was a similar noticeable difference between last year's McPherson CF guitars and these new models. That stability of their designs once they land on a design that works for them, is one of the things I appreciate about McPherson. I would not want to find out, after having paid $3k for a CF guitar, that well, they really didn't get it right yet, but this year, the magic happens and now what I bought is clearly not the new improved model that is demonstrably much improved, leaving me to have simply funded their R & D on the way to the guitar they wanted to build all along. To me, that would have been the case with the switch from Michael Kelly branded CF guitars and the McPherson models.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 01-21-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I would like an arm bevel. And a larger model. That’d be a home run for me. A rib bevel would be nice, but not as important as the arm bevel.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:16 PM

Gotta say. Kinda feeling that camo ;-)

As happy as I am with my Rainsong, I always kinda wondered if I should have ponied up a few more bucks at the time and went with a Sable.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-30-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I agree with what little glance I've had of it. I like that it has a textured look without being too busy. Seems there isn't a single one in the wild yet.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

As happy as I am with my Rainsong, I always kinda wondered if I should have ponied up a few more bucks at the time and went with a Sable.
I expect to see those camo models at the PX when I have to go to the VA again next month.

Tony
Old 01-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I expect to see those camo models at the PX when I have to go to the VA again next month.

Tony
Well take some good pictures for us !
Old 03-28-2022, 08:16 AM

Do the Gotoh 510s fit the older Sables?
Old 03-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungWoo View Post
Do the Gotoh 510s fit the older Sables?
I don't know. However, if you send an email to McPherson, they seem to be quite responsive.

PHONE
(608) 366-1407

EMAIL
[email protected]

ADDRESS
1204 Roberts Road
Sparta, WI 54656 USA

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-14-2022, 07:58 AM

I have a 2021 Sable. I wouldn't mind having the Gotohs, though mine seems to do just fine with the Schallers. I agree with most opinions on the headstock logo, the new one is much more classy. Good call making the EVO frets standard as well; I'm glad mine has them.

As for the fretboard, I actually prefer the dots, but to each his own. If there was something I'd prefer with the fret markers, it would be to make them brighter on the side of the neck; they are kind of faint as is.

I'm glad I got mine when I did, because I prefer the basketweave top over all of the others. If I was buying new now, I'd go for the plain top - the chickenwire top has never appealed to me.

As long as they play nicely ... be happy.

I own a guitar.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:07 PM

Looking much better with new headstock logo. Though I still think the headstock looks a full 1-2" too long.

The swoosh is fine, but I'd much prefer the fretboard ring-dots--more useful and upscale-looking.

Outside the cantilevered neck, I don't like its design flairs (quirks): long headstock, long asymmetrical bridge, plastic-trimmed kidney bean soundhole...

I'd love to see it given a traditional soundhole (what, then they'd sell too many?), or at least no plastic trim.
And I guess it's on purpose that the soundhole radius doesn't quite match the waist radius, but it kills me.

Would like to see the textured back/sides replaced with smooth satin like the neck.
I'm still not sure I can accept injection molded back/sides/neck at this price.

Guess it's still not for me.
A few changes, and I'd be tempted. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber