The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2022, 03:24 PM

Default So openG tuning is amazing.. but chords?

After. Many years I decided to try open G tuning . And it kinda twists you up when you try to throw a chord in. Excep for the barre and sus Stones stuff.. but it really is nice for seein the different melodic drone kinda ideas.. it seems like it relies on shapes rather than barre A or Em or D7 or D7m.. so all that stuff goes out the window.. and all those comfy open chords go too.. it's like trying to learn a new language.. so.. any tips? Seems like there is a lot to uncover.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:48 PM

Years ago I learned a few chord shapes to finger in first position to make simple chords in open G (the IV and V, at least, maybe the relative minor also). I forgot them, of course, and tried an internet search to find them and had no luck.

Someone here can help I'm sure, just a matter of time before the right person notices this thread.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies

Last edited by SCVJ; 01-11-2022 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Plenty of online chord charts for different tunings (including open C) For example:
https://dazwatsonmusic.weebly.com/op...ord-chart.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-11-2022, 04:08 PM

I've been playing a lot out of open G for a while, and have found that the biggest thing is finding the movable chord shapes. The two shapes I use variations of, by and large, are the G shape (so barring all the way across, but you can make it a minor chord by dropping the second string, which is the third of the chord, one fret to make it a minor chord, or fretting the top string three frets above the barre to make a 7 chord) and the C shape, which is movable if you barre behind it. With those two, you can work out most of what you need. I found it much easier to internalize this when playing songs, not just trying to memorize the chord shapes, but you may well be on top of that. Here is the chart for open G like was referenced above, but I'd try less to memorize this chart and more to think about the base chord shapes you can use and adjust all over the neck.

Another aha moment for me was this video, which laid out a thing I'd noticed, that Ry Cooder often plays open G tuning when playing songs in the key of D, which is a lot of fun:
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo

Last edited by elephony; 01-11-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add chord chart link
Old 01-11-2022, 04:12 PM

Open G is also known as Taro Patch tuning in Hawaii. If you want to wander down a white sandy beach learn a few songs from slack key masters from the land of the aloha spirit.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:20 PM

That was quick! Thanks Derek.

Scuzzo, is that what you werre looking for?

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 PM

Derek's link is for open C; I added the link in my post for open G chords. (I have been meaning to try open C for a while, perhaps this will be the nudge it takes...)
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 01-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Plenty of online chord charts for different tunings (including open C) For example:
This appears to be a good site. Since the OP asked about open G:

Tony
Old 01-11-2022, 05:44 PM

A few songs in open G to inspire you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJmER493F4U (capo 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgrQoZHnNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfubxNVljw
Old 01-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

One nice thing is that the use of harmonic notes tends to be pretty handy when playing things in open tunings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-11-2022, 06:16 PM

Hey! This great just the kinda stuff I was searching for,, will keep at it,, heck might buy a slide! Lol. Thanks for the cool information all,, and the son house vid was awesome...
Old 01-11-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post
After. Many years I decided to try open G tuning . And it kinda twists you up when you try to throw a chord in. Excep for the barre and sus Stones stuff.. but it really is nice for seein the different melodic drone kinda ideas.. it seems like it relies on shapes rather than barre A or Em or D7 or D7m.. so all that stuff goes out the window.. and all those comfy open chords go too.. it's like trying to learn a new language.. so.. any tips? Seems like there is a lot to uncover.
If you're an iphone user, download the app GuitarToolkit

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/guitar...es/id284962368

you can set it to any tuning you want and it will show you all the chords in all positions.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Playing in open tuning IS like speaking a different language, in many ways. Some have a few similarities to standard tunings, but the sooner you drop your reliance on familiarities, and just embrace the tuning for what it is, the sooner you'll open up worlds of possibilities.

I've been playing in open tunings since the 1970's. Here's a few video examples pieces I've composed in open G.

And for good measure here's a CD cut with both guitar parts (fingerstyle & bottleneck tracks) in open G. I wrote this about my daughter when she was about 2-3 years old. It's called Water Off A Duck's Back. There isn't a bass on the cut. That's my thumb part in the basic track.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 01-12-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Scuzzo
Yeah - learn the shapes for open tunings. And they will transfer to Open D and Open Dm etc (just on different string combinations).

And there's Open C, and a lot of other tunings where the open strings are tuned to an open chord.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-12-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Playing in open tuning IS like speaking a different language, in many ways. Some have a few similarities to standard tunings, but the sooner you drop your reliance on familiarities, and just embrace the tuning for what it is, the sooner you'll open up worlds of possibilities.

I've been playing in open tunings since the 1970's. Here's a few video examples pieces I've composed in open G.

And for good measure here's a CD cut with both guitar parts (fingerstyle & bottleneck tracks) in open G. I wrote this about my daughter when she was about 2-3 years old. It's called Water Off A Duck's Back. There isn't a bass on the cut. That's my thumb part in the basic track.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Hey, so I guess if I don't get the hang of t in the first 4 days all is not lost. Lol
Yep it amazes me how much reward there is in just some simple linear ideas, there really is a lot of colors to explore,, very nice playing by the way that tune in the middle kinda reminded me of Ry Cooder. Good stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write