The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Default Coated String Surprise

I tried some Martin SPs PBs lately and after I played them in, to get rid of that initial zinginess, I really liked the tone. Unfortunately, that tone only lasted a week or so.

So I tried some SP Lifespans...

Not so much zing, and therefore a better/more played in sound straight from the packet. And the tone I'd liked in the SPs was pretty much there (to me at least)...but for longer.

So, the Lifespan sounded better sooner and lasted longer so (to me at least) it seems like a no brainer (for me!) to choose them over non-coated strings.

Last edited by Martie; 12-28-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:08 PM

The no-brainer for me is to not buy a coated string. It makes no common sense to me to buy a set of strings that have been coated with something.

Not trying to start a debate or negate yours or anyone’s experience in any way, but it just doesn’t compute for me. There are too many great string brands out there to be playing a coated string.

If it works for you, that’s all that matters but I’d play a few sets of other strings and see if I still preferred the coated set.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-22-2018, 04:08 PM

I hope you haven't started a relationship with the "discontinued" SP Lifespan strings. Martin has made changes.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
I hope you haven't started a relationship with the "discontinued" SP Lifespan strings. Martin has made changes.
Oh dear! They had been in my drawer for a while - best not get too attached to them then! [emoji15]
Old 12-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
The no-brainer for me is to not buy a coated string. It makes no common sense to me to buy a set of strings that have been coated with something.

Not trying to start a debate or negate yours or anyone’s experience in any way, but it just doesn’t compute for me. There are too many great string brands out there to be playing a coated string.

If it works for you, that’s all that matters but I’d play a few sets of other strings and see if I still preferred the coated set.
I agree, kind of. My 'go-to' strings are usually Newtone (just been experimenting lately), but if a coated string sounds played in sooner and then lasts longer, all the while sounding as good as a played in non-coated string, then a string is a string is a string etc. Obviously, we all hear different things - but worth sharing etc.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:31 PM

I put on the updated version of coated (actually says treated or something like that). I think they’re great and easier on the fingers. The uncoated version was wearing on the fingers after a couple hours of playing
Old 12-22-2018, 04:34 PM

Hey Martie, yes thank you for sharing. I’m glad you found some coated strings you like, but sorry they may be discontinued. I used martins for a while but now use elixir nanos because I prefer the feel, they last long and sound quite good

Last edited by hess; 12-22-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
I put on the updated version of coated (actually says treated or something like that). I think they’re great and easier on the fingers. The uncoated version was wearing on the fingers after a couple hours of playing
I may well give those a whirl...when these eventually wear out.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hess View Post
Hey Martie, yes thank you for sharing. I’m glad you found some coated strings you like, but sorry they may be discontinued. I used martins for a while but now use elixir nanos because I prefer the feel, they last long and sound quite good
Yes, I guess I had a prejudice (pre-judgement) against coated strings but it's worth repeating: if they have the played in sound that the vast majority of us prefer, and if that sound lasts longer (with less squeak!), then it seems absurd (dare I say...purist?) to automatically rule them out...
Old 12-22-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Oh dear! They had been in my drawer for a while - best not get too attached to them then! [emoji15]
The new version are called Authentic Lifespan 2.0...
You may like them as well. I don't know if the "treatment" is different from the previous SP Lifespan or not.

To me there is a distinction between "coated", as in thin teflonish material covering the entire wound strings (like Elixir) or covering the windings of the wound strings (like EXP) vs a "treatment" applied to the wound strings (like Martin Lifespan, Cleartone, DR Dragonskin).

Martin was using the same treatment as Cleartone then developed something similar of their own. DR is using a "treatment" called K3 that is their proprietary thing. To me these "treated" strings are much more like an uncoated string than Elixir and EXPs and still have longevity.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The new version are called Authentic Lifespan 2.0...
You may like them as well. I don't know if the "treatment" is different from the previous SP Lifespan or not.

To me there is a distinction between "coated", as in thin teflonish material covering the entire wound strings (like Elixir) or covering the windings of the wound strings (like EXP) vs a "treatment" applied to the wound strings (like Martin Lifespan, Cleartone, DR Dragonskin).

Martin was using the same treatment as Cleartone then developed something similar of their own. DR is using a "treatment" called K3 that is their proprietary thing. To me these "treated" strings are much more like an uncoated string than Elixir and EXPs and still have longevity.
Very interesting. I guess my initial turn-off regarding coated strings (many years ago) was buying some Elixirs and tham shedding their skin, which just didn't feel 'right'. I'm very curious about these new Lifespan now.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
Very interesting. I guess my initial turn-off regarding coated strings (many years ago) was buying some Elixirs and tham shedding their skin, which just didn't feel 'right'. I'm very curious about these new Lifespan now.
If you haven't noticed there is a thread right now by Troisnoir titled "Need MSP String Sets" with comments about the new Martin Authentic strings that you might be interested in.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
If you haven't noticed there is a thread right now by Troisnoir titled "Need MSP String Sets" with comments about the new Martin Authentic strings that you might be interested in.
Cheers Bill, will take a look. [emoji4]
Old 12-22-2018, 09:38 PM

I keep coming back to Elixirs over and over again.

I HAVE often wondered if they are un-healthy to use for decades.

But then again, I was watching an old video of Charlie Daniels shredding his fiddle live, and the lights showed a cloud of rosin in the air (mere inches from his face) and it's all over his fiddle and stuff. That guy has breathed a LOT of rosin.

He's still shredding it into his 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Still trying to wear these out - and failing miserably as they just keep going!

After a long string search I'd narrowed it down to Martin Lifespan SP, Martin Flexible Core and Newtone Masterclass. I tried the FCs, and liked them, but they don't last long. I've ordered a custom set of Masterclass and had another set of FCs to compare the tension with the Lifespan, and then I was going to try the MCs after that. But these Lifespans just keep going - and I even think they're starting to sound better!

Also, as someone with very acidic hands, I decided not to wipe them down after every session (something I've always done) as I wanted to see how long they last - but even so, they just keep going (I'm actually shocked! ) - lovely ringing bass (that continues to sustain forever!), not too bright, not too dull...just perfect!

I guess you could say my search is over (is it ever?!), and it may well be - but the others are going to have to be absolutely exceptional to outshine (and outlast!) these beauties...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion