The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X30. Element VTC vs Anthem?

I'm very familiar with both pickups....in wooden acoustic guitars. I have the Anthem in all my guitars. I've had the VTC element in some CA carbon guitars and thought it sounded great, especially since you can control the brightness with the tone wheel.

Curious how the anthem would sound, given a mic inside a carbon guitar, AND the fact that it's a BIG body. Didn't know if the quality of the Anthem (in wood guitars) translates to carbon guitars.

My gut is telling me to stick with the VTC Element.

Also, no I don't want K&K or Fishman. Just specifically asking about these 2 pickups.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

2 of my X20's have the VTC Element and my x20 12 String has the Anthem Stage Pro with the Barndoor controls.

My feeling is the Anthem sounds more natural overall. Not by leaps & bounds but being able to blend in some mic is much like it would be in a wooden guitar.

I can certainly work with a Baggs Element as I run through at least a Bodyrez pedal to give it a more mic'd up tone.

If you prefer the Anthem in your wooden guitars I would think you would come to the same conclusion in a Carbon guitar.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Emerald X30

You can always reach Emerald direct. I really like the Anthem personally but I think you're safe either way. I like how the Anthem picks up the low end but gives you some "air" from the Mic.

On another note, unplugged the X30 sounds like a tone monster. Quite possibly the best unplugged tone from a CF guitar to date, at least in my opinion. I love the near wood-like robust low end but the crystalline high end sparkle. The string-to-string note separation is notable on a guitar this size. This would be difficult to achieve in a wooden instrument.

Keep 'm coming Emerald! I'm digging the studio quality sounds (albeit with all the other factors that make internet recordings somewhat obsolete when judging the tone of an acoustic guitar). I've bought 3 guitars online from well mic'd video reviews and found the guitars in person pretty close only better.

The X30 is a bit too much for me to handle though- Please do a studio session the X7 2.0!

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-19-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added information
Old 02-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
2 of my X20's have the VTC Element and my x20 12 String has the Anthem Stage Pro with the Barndoor controls.

My feeling is the Anthem sounds more natural overall. Not by leaps & bounds but being able to blend in some mic is much like it would be in a wooden guitar.

I can certainly work with a Baggs Element as I run through at least a Bodyrez pedal to give it a more mic'd up tone.

If you prefer the Anthem in your wooden guitars I would think you would come to the same conclusion in a Carbon guitar.
Thanks, that makes alot of sense actually.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Hi, I ordered my X30 with the Full Anthem and shortly after order I decided to order and install the Anthem SL in my Gibson acoustic as well. I've since removed both systems. Not a fan of how the Anthem and the element UST affect the unplugged tone of the guitars. To make matters even worse I don't like the plugged in sound either. It required a lot of surgical EQ to make it sound decent and the tru-mic has this weird harshness to it. It's a popular system and a lot of people love it (which is why I bought it) but I can say it's not for me. The whole experience at least ended with me discovering my new favorite pickup -> Schatten HFN.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber