The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Martin DCPA4 - How is the pickup system?

I have been eyeballing a dcpa4 at a local shop and have read mixed reviews about the Fishman pickup system...I think its the "Fishman Matrix VT Enhance NT2". I will be using this guitar primarily as a live, stage guitar so plugged in sound is very important to me. Can anyone let me know how this thing sounds through an amp or PA?

Last edited by JackB1; 02-19-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM

I have the Siris version of this guitar which has Siris b/s and a wedge of Rosewood in the back. When I play it at church I'm told by lots of people it has a very rich sound. I seem to think it's a Fishman Analog system.

Edit: Here is what acoustic guitar had to say back in 2013:

Designed as a stage guitar, the DCPA4 Siris is equipped with Fishman F1 Analog electronics, a setup that is currently exclusive to Martin. The F1 Analog consists of Fishman’s Sonicore undersaddle pickup (a coaxial cable design) and a preamp mounted in the side of the guitar. Rather than a big panel with multiple sliders and knobs, the F1 Analog has two multifunction controls and a small display for a built-in chromatic tuner. The system’s nine-volt battery is accessible through a door at the endblock, and instead of an endpin-jack, the DCPA4 Siris has a separate strap pin and output jack integrated into a plastic assembly.

The primary functions of the preamp’s two knobs are to control volume and tone. Both include a push function; on the volume knob, this activates the tuner, while a push on the tone control reverses the phase. The onboard tuner works very well; I liked that it functions whether the guitar is plugged in or not and that activating it mutes the output signal. But holding the button for two seconds felt surprisingly long when I tried to quickly tweak an out-of-tune string during a jam; I would prefer a more immediate response.

The tone control’s design is noteworthy. Rather than simply adding bass one way and treble the other way, as with many one-knob EQs, Fishman opted for a more sophisticated multi-band approach. Turned completely counterclockwise, the control leaves the signal flat; turning it up dials in a “mid-scoop” tone, i.e., decreased mids and increased bass and treble.

Played though a Fishman Loudbox 100 amp, the system produced had a punchy sound with a somewhat bright voice rather than a completely accurate reproduction of the DCPA4 Siris’s acoustic sound. This would be an advantage for playing in a band and at high volumes, because it ensures the ability to cut through the mix and avoids feedback problems. I did wish for a bit more onboard control over the guitar’s amplified sound because the preamp’s tonal variations were subtle. But a slight dip of the highs on the amp produced a more natural voice suited for unaccompanied playing.

I don't know if the one you're looking at is a Siris model or has the same pickup in it but of my 3 guitars, this is the most robust build. It can take a lot of hard strumming in stride. The only downside I've come across is in fingerpicking. If I'm plugged in its stout build isn't a problem but unplugged it is nowhere near as loud as my Gibson J15 or Martin DRS2.

It seems to be built for a gigging musician who needs a strongly built guitar that can take a lot of heavy playing in stride.

Hope that helps,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 02-19-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: New info found
Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM

I don't think the Fishman F1 Analog is used anymore. I think they switched to the Matrix VT Enhanced at some point. I don't know which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I have the Siris version of this guitar which has Siris b/s and a wedge of Rosewood in the back. I don't remember which pickup it has but when I play it at church I'm told by lots of people it has a very rich sound. I seem to think it's a Fishman Analog system.

Here is what acoustic guitar had to say back in 2013:

Designed as a stage guitar, the DCPA4 Siris is equipped with Fishman F1 Analog electronics, a setup that is currently exclusive to Martin. The F1 Analog consists of Fishman’s Sonicore undersaddle pickup (a coaxial cable design) and a preamp mounted in the side of the guitar. Rather than a big panel with multiple sliders and knobs, the F1 Analog has two multifunction controls and a small display for a built-in chromatic tuner. The system’s nine-volt battery is accessible through a door at the endblock, and instead of an endpin-jack, the DCPA4 Siris has a separate strap pin and output jack integrated into a plastic assembly.

The primary functions of the preamp’s two knobs are to control volume and tone. Both include a push function; on the volume knob, this activates the tuner, while a push on the tone control reverses the phase. The onboard tuner works very well; I liked that it functions whether the guitar is plugged in or not and that activating it mutes the output signal. But holding the button for two seconds felt surprisingly long when I tried to quickly tweak an out-of-tune string during a jam; I would prefer a more immediate response.

The tone control’s design is noteworthy. Rather than simply adding bass one way and treble the other way, as with many one-knob EQs, Fishman opted for a more sophisticated multi-band approach. Turned completely counterclockwise, the control leaves the signal flat; turning it up dials in a “mid-scoop” tone, i.e., decreased mids and increased bass and treble.

Played though a Fishman Loudbox 100 amp, the system produced had a punchy sound with a somewhat bright voice rather than a completely accurate reproduction of the DCPA4 Siris’s acoustic sound. This would be an advantage for playing in a band and at high volumes, because it ensures the ability to cut through the mix and avoids feedback problems. I did wish for a bit more onboard control over the guitar’s amplified sound because the preamp’s tonal variations were subtle. But a slight dip of the highs on the amp produced a more natural voice suited for unaccompanied playing.

I don't know if the one you're looking at is a Siris model or has the same pickup in it but of my 3 guitars, this is the most robust build. It can take a lot of hard strumming in stride. The only downside I've come across is in fingerpicking. If I'm plugged in its stout build isn't a problem but unplugged it is nowhere near as loud as my Gibson J15 or Martin DRS2.

It seems to be built for a gigging musician who needs a strongly built guitar that can take a lot of heavy playing in stride.

Hope that helps,
PJ
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM

If you can check out the guitar, the Fishman F1 Analog has the controls cutout in the top side wood. The Matrix VT Enhance has the controls mounted in the soundhole. I'm pretty sure the switch began with 2018 guitars because my 2017 GPCPA4 has the F1 Analog.

Either way you're going to need a good pre-amp to combat the quacky piezo-ness of the pickup. I actually enjoy the piezo sound if done right.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 PM

So the Matrix VT Enhance is no better than the F1 Analog (Sonitone)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
If you can check out the guitar, the Fishman F1 Analog has the controls cutout in the top side wood. The Matrix VT Enhance has the controls mounted in the soundhole. I'm pretty sure the switch began with 2018 guitars because my 2017 GPCPA4 has the F1 Analog.

Either way you're going to need a good pre-amp to combat the quacky piezo-ness of the pickup. I actually enjoy the piezo sound if done right.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:05 PM

I have the F1 Analog in my OMCPA4, and quite honestly, I don't really like it. I have a Sonitone in another guitar, and I like the way it sounds better than the F1. I also have Presys Blend 301s in a couple guitars, and they sound better.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 AM

So hard to get a read on these pickups. If you look at all the reviews of the GPCPA4s and DCPA4's. most folks love the pickup system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I have the F1 Analog in my OMCPA4, and quite honestly, I don't really like it. I have a Sonitone in another guitar, and I like the way it sounds better than the F1. I also have Presys Blend 301s in a couple guitars, and they sound better.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 PM

The sonitone and F1 analog are different systems as far as I'm aware. I don't mind the F1 analog, it has a nice strong output and a lot of bass. The controls are conveniently located for volume and tone. You probably will want a preamp with some kind of modeling for the best sound, something like a Boss AD-2, ToneRez, Tone Dexter, or Fishman Aura type of thing.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM

I have the F1 analog and I think it sounds great on my Gpcpa4. I tried a Martin jr D that had a sonitone. I chose one without a pickup. I put an lr baggs in it.Sonitone is a budget pickup compared to the F1 analog
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 AM

I recently picked up a new GPC12PA4 with Matrix VT Enhance … (I also have a LR Baggs Anthem in my Custom). I think both sound great. I play through My BOSE L1. The Matrix gives it a full sound...
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 03-08-2019, 03:54 PM

With the Matrix you lose the tuner but you gain a midrange scoop control plus the enhance function. I have to think the Matix enhance system is superior to the F1 Analog.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 AM

How do you set your tone and enhance knobs for the fullest sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
I recently picked up a new GPC12PA4 with Matrix VT Enhance … (I also have a LR Baggs Anthem in my Custom). I think both sound great. I play through My BOSE L1. The Matrix gives it a full sound...
Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Anyone with a DCPA4 with the analog pickup system and how do you like the plugged in sound?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone with a DCPA4 with the analog pickup system and how do you like the plugged in sound?
I wrote above about the Siris version of the DCPA4 and I 'THINK' I have the analog system (It's hard for me to remember which is which... but if the new one has the controls inside the sound hole then I have the older analog system.)

Now that I've thoroughly confused myself, I will say I love the sound I get from my DCPA4 Siris, both unplugged and plugged in. There is a warmth that comes through our church PA that I just love.

In the interest of full disclosure I do send the signal through a Boss AD10 and a LR Baggs Align Reverb as well so I'm sure what I'm hearing has been colored by those two pedals but regardless it's a sound I truly enjoy.

Best,
PJ
Old 10-24-2019, 07:56 AM

I have now tried several DCPA4's with the F1 Analog pickup system and non of them sounded any good to my ears. They all have a thin, trebley sound with very little bass and fullness. I don't understand all the reviews that say it sounds great plugged in? Also what is the F1 Analog system anyway? Fishman only used it in this line and it's been discontinued. How good can it be if they did away with it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification