The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 07:42 AM

Default Yamaha L series

I am eagerly awaiting the fed ex man to deliver a yamaha 1987 LS-11. Solid spruce top solid mahogany back. OM body shape. The L series seems to be a good value and perhaps a little underappreciated. Who has one they want to tell me about?

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:01 AM

have fun with that new guitar. My Yahama has held up well over the last 4 1/2 decades!

f-d
Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Yamaha LS6 purchased 4th of July sale at GC.
Still going thru the break in period, me, not the guitar.
I never seem to like a new guitar as much as I wanted it.
But in time we will usually bond just fine.
Just installed Elixir HD PB Lights, too soon to tell about that too.
The build quality, appearance, case, etc, are all flawless.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I never seem to like a new guitar as much as I wanted it.
Ah, yes, the essence of life.

I'm hoping, though, that, ultimately, you will say, "I love this guitar."
Old 09-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Default Yamaha LD10

Yamaha LD 10, easily compares to my Martin and Gibson, one great sounding guitar. Jeff B
Old 09-08-2015, 07:27 AM

Smile

My new 1987 LS-11 arrived yesterday. Always great to get a new guitar. It makes me play all my others back to back. Great sounding, good action, awesome sustain, and rich mid tones.

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 AM

I bought a Yamaha LL23J about a year ago it is from 2001, I love it so much everyday I still have that amazing feeling when I first bought it home..Love it..
Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Bought a LL6 ARE for less than $500 with a hard case new. One of the best deals I have gotten. Love the sound and playability.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 AM

I've got 2 at the moment, a new LL16 ARE and a 2002 LA8 which I got recently. Played the LA-8 quite a bit the last 2 nights as I think I need to move one on and looks like the LL16 may have to make way.

Both fab guitars and incredibly different in their approach to tone, I can see superficially how the LL would be considered the more 'impressive' sounding, it's got loads of bottom end, very airy sounding and great playability since I had it set up. The LA is different, still got some power when you dig in but overall, a tad more 'shut in' than the LL but overall I feel there's a bit more of an 'authentic' quality to the tone, plus they're rare as rocking horse poo so it ain't goin' nowhere

L-series Yams, you gotta love 'em. enjoy yours.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:03 AM

I've been playing all my Yamahas alot recently and spent some time with my OM body style LS 11 from 1987. Love the tone and build quality.

I can't find much information on this particular model guitar.

Who knows the history of the L series back in the 80s?

This LS 11 was made in Taiwan. Solid spruce top and African mahogany back and sides.

Anyone else have one?

SW1

breedlove oregon OM SMYe
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM

got an LL-TA (basically an LL16 ARE with the TransAcoustic tech) over Christmas and loving it...can't put it down! played it so much i felt the Elixir 80/20 LG strings it came with started losing some of their brightness so tried some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze which did not go well (way too tinny) so quickly switched to Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings and now i think i've found that golden tone i want. have been thinking about getting a bone or TUSQ saddle. has anyone tried that on any Yahama L-series and do you feel it's made a difference?

PS: my poor (and more expensive) Larrivee DV09 has been in its case for the whole month.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
got an LL-TA (basically an LL16 ARE with the TransAcoustic tech) over Christmas and loving it...can't put it down! played it so much i felt the Elixir 80/20 LG strings it came with started losing some of their brightness so tried some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze which did not go well (way too tinny) so quickly switched to Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings and now i think i've found that golden tone i want. have been thinking about getting a bone or TUSQ saddle. has anyone tried that on any Yahama L-series and do you feel it's made a difference?

PS: my poor (and more expensive) Larrivee DV09 has been in its case for the whole month.
I have a Yamaha LS-TA, which I love! I added a bone saddle and some ebony bridge pins, which made a subtle difference, but I'm very happy indeed with it overall. And yes, Yamaha say that this guitar will make you play acoustic more, which has been 100% true for me, and which is surely what it's all about?!!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I have a Yamaha LS-TA, which I love! I added a bone saddle and some ebony bridge pins, which made a subtle difference, but I'm very happy indeed with it overall. And yes, Yamaha say that this guitar will make you play acoustic more, which has been 100% true for me, and which is surely what it's all about?!!
Thx Martie for the response! when you say "subtle difference", can you specify what you mean? louder? warmer? brighter? clearer? also what is the specific size bone saddle to get? the saddle slot seems bigger than the standard 72.4mm saddles i see being sold on the internet (eg. Amazon, etc.).
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM

I have a sunburst LL16 A.R.E I picked up for £400, slightly used, couple of insignificant dings (so no first ding trauma!), with the plastic still on the pickguard. This is my third now and it feels much lighter than the others I owned; I'd like to try the mahogany version but these are great guitars by any metric.
I recommended the LS6 to a friend who wanted a smaller guitar and he's happy with it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
Thx Martie for the response! when you say "subtle difference", can you specify what you mean? louder? warmer? brighter? clearer? also what is the specific size bone saddle to get? the saddle slot seems bigger than the standard 72.4mm saddles i see being sold on the internet (eg. Amazon, etc.).
To be honest, I just did is as a 'routine' matter, but I did notice more sustain (although that could have been the new strings?!). And sorry, I can't remember the width of the saddle. I guess I just measured the existing one and took it from there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion