The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default A reissue of a 1950s Gibson Country Western

Have they ever made such a reissue? I own a 1956 Country Western and FWIW (not much!) a guitar that youtuber Rick Beato looks exactly like mine. But I recently saw a video of a pro musician playing a guitar that also looks exactly like mine... everything... but it was in what appeared to be absolutely mint condition. Had a new guitar shine to it. Granted, it was a high-dollar, high-end video by a t.v. production company, so, lighting was great. Anyway, wondering if there has ever been a reissue of the natural-top Country Western due to his guitar looking to be incredibly well-preserved if it is an old Country Western.

As for its history, found this... and note that I also see 1956 as the first year of issue, so, not sure...

Introduced in 1955 as a more upmarket alternative to the J45 and J50, the Country Western was marketed as a natural finish version of the pre-existing (sunburst finished) Southern Jumbo, much the same as the J50 was to the J45. Up until 1962 it shared the slope shouldered design of the J45/J50, but from '62 onwards adopted the square shoulders of the Hummingbird.

I have long mused that I need a Southern Jumbo in my herd and now learn that I actually have a guitar that's the same thing, just not sunburst. I didn't know!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:57 AM

I’m not sure if Gibson has ever offered a slope shoulder reissue, but Fullers Guitar did a run a few years ago of slope shoulder country westerns. Also, Gibson has done a few runs of a Sheryl Crow signature country westerns, but those are square shoulder versions
Gibson Murphy Lab Hummingbird
Furch Little Jane
Old 03-09-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbrandon View Post
I’m not sure if Gibson has ever offered a slope shoulder reissue, but Fullers Guitar did a run a few years ago of slope shoulder country westerns. Also, Gibson has done a few runs of a Sheryl Crow signature country westerns, but those are square shoulder versions
Well, by golly, I think you solved it. They did, indeed, do just that in 2006, justbrandon! Glad you saw my thread! Now it can make sense about what I saw that man playing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion