The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Anyone ever play both of these?

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking here for a long time and thought I would ask this question of the group.
Does anyone have any experience with playing a McPherson carbon fiber and the X20?
I'm wondering if someone can share their thoughts around playability - neck shape, and the obvious big question tone.

I have played the McPherson and like the neck but the tone is definitely not my first choice. I have a friend with a Rainsong and the Mcpherson sounded more like it was not made of wood when we compared them.

Thank you for your help!

Todd
Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Check out some of the latest threads posted by byundzai....he has/had a Sable and just received some Emeralds. The Sable is for sale I believe.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Funny that you should ask this question today. Another AGF member stopped by today with his Sable, Emerald X20 and two X30's for me to play. I've had my X20 (Green) for two years but wondered what the larger X30 sounded like. Also, I've been intrigued with the Sable and wondered how it would compare to an Emerald.
Bottom line, I definitely prefer the X20 to the Sable. The Sable was extremely well made and exudes quality. The sound it produced was "sweet" but lacked the fuller sound spectrum and projection of the Emerald. We are splitting hairs, here, but that was my personal impression. My guess is that the heavier construction is holding it back some.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM

I have seen photos of a certain knife guy... anyway ... interesting you didn't like the Sable...maybe strings or set up..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 PM

I like the sable a lot I think the neck is great, much nicer than the neck on the rainsongs... I just am not crazy about the sound... it has really pretty high but if you hit the bass strings you can definitely hear that it's carbon fiber resonating and not wood and I don't hear that same response on a rainsong
Old 11-17-2018, 06:26 PM

Kramster,

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't "like" the Sable because it really made an impression on me. Besides being very balanced, I felt a degree of craftsmanship that was off the charts. Like you said, which brand and type of strings and their age is a huge variable. Having that many fine guitars to play and try to form opinions about was almost overwhelming. Still, I'd gravitate to the Emerald if today's playing was where and when I had to make a decision between the two makes.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 11-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
Kramster,

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't "like" the Sable because it really made an impression on me. Besides being very balanced, I felt a degree of craftsmanship that was off the charts. Like you said, which brand and type of strings and their age is a huge variable. Having that many fine guitars to play and try to form opinions about was almost overwhelming. Still, I'd gravitate to the Emerald if today's playing was where and when I had to make a decision between the two makes.
Emerald is an excellent choice..I have played a few and have heard a few played...I'm not very impressionable sometimes .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber