The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Question about John Pearse 640CL strings

Some online sites are listing the gauges as 12-15-23-32-42-55, but a couple I found are listing the B and G strings as 16 and 24.

Anybody tried these? If so, what are the actual gauges in this set?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Chris, it sounds as though those websites are confusing the 640CL set with something else. The correct gauges for the set in question are:

.012, .015, .023, .032, .042, .055

Just as you have them.

I imagine the error crept in when some tired person was trying to finish the product descriptions on their website when they really should have taken a breather and come back later.

Incidentally, if you ever want to find out something for certain about John Pearse strings, your best bet is always to go to the John Pearse/Breezy Ridge website and double check the information there:

http://jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Chris, it sounds as though those websites are confusing the 640CL set with something else. The correct gauges for the set in question are:

.012, .015, .023, .032, .042, .055

Just as you have them.

I imagine the error crept in when some tired person was trying to finish the product descriptions on their website when they really should have taken a breather and come back later.

Incidentally, if you ever want to find out something for certain about John Pearse strings, your best bet is always to go to the John Pearse/Breezy Ridge website and double check the information there:

http://jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I use this set on my Martin 000-15 and they sound great. Lots of people love Monels on mahogany but these PB strings are very lively and musical sounding. I like those gauges on a 000, the .055 really helps the low end without being too stiff.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM

Wade — thank you! I was hoping you’d see this thread and chime in. Much appreciated!

I like the idea of what’s basically a set of 12s but with a slightly lighter B and G, and a slightly heavier low E. I’ve been trying to find a good compromise between strumming, fingerstyle, and lead playing, and this combination might be the ticket.

DownUpDave, in my case the only acoustic I’ve got is a dread, but I’m hoping for a somewhat similar experience to what you describe. Gonna give these a try & find out.

Thanks, y’all!
C
Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 PM

These are my favorite strings for my big Gallagher rosewood dread. A really nicely tensioned, well-balanced set, comfortable, with just enough "fight" to not feel oddly loose under your fingers, great for bends, hammer-ons, and fingerpicking, but also very good for strumming. A warm set, moderately crisp when new, but they settle down to a round, punchy, resonant sound after a day or two. The treble have some body to them without being chime-y, and I appreciate that. There's plenty of bass to contrast against the other strings, and not much mush in the tone. Moderate articulation. I've been getting about three weeks out of a set, but that's playing around 40 hours a week. Without a pick though, just FYI.

I had been running mediums on this dread (for about a decade) until I tried this Custom Light gauge set. The guitar initially took about a week to adjust to the different tension level (during which the volume and projection seemed a little weak), and after that, everything fell into place. No relief or action adjustment needed to accommodate the lower tension.

Looks like big, ole lightly braced dreads do well with these. Digging in sounds pretty good to me.

I really can't say enough about John Pearse products, especially strings of this quality.

... JT
Old 11-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Welp, I got three packs in today. Turns out neither version was correct. The actual gauges are 12-16-23-32-42-55. Cool — the 16 is prolly a better match for the 12 than a 15, even if the lighter gauge might be better for leads. Looking forward to seeing how my Yairi likes these!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion