The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Default 00 All Around Player

After extensive buying/returning/selling I realize my most comfortable guitar size is a 00. I didn't realize how nice a 00 could sound as a strummer until I picked up a Recording King RP2 626 Schoenberg - wow it is fantastic!

Unfortunately the one I bought from Amazon had the bridge lifting away and the fret edges were super sharp. My guitar tech told me no way should a New $7-$800 be in this condition. So I returned it and bought the cutaway version from GC, bridge was fine - but the frets were still a problem. I didn't accept delivery.

Bummed because the sound and playability was everything I was looking for. I'm not so sure I'll try a 3rd time with the RK - so I'm looking at a few other models, would love to get any feedback the AGF forum has to offer.

Larrivee 00-40
Martin 00-17s
Blueridge BR - 341
Eastman E10-OO

I am trying to re-create the specs of the Schoenberg:

Spruce over Mahogany - All solid wood
1 3/4 Nut width
12 fret
Full Scale (only the Larrivee has this of the 4)

Any info on these or suggestions on guitars of similar specs for an all around 00 would be welcome. Looking to keep it under $1500. Thank you!

Jon
Old 04-21-2018, 07:56 PM

I agree that the 00 is the most versatile size. My main axe now is a Huss and Dalton 12 fret and I also have a Martin 0018V custom, but it is a 14 fret. You might check the websites of My Favorite Guitars or LA Guitar Sales as they often have customs in addtion to the standard Martin line. LA also has Eastman guitars. I have dealt with both with seamless transactions. My H&D was used from Chicago Music Exchange and they had several 00-12 models used when I got mine. I have not been on any of these websites recently, but you might have a look see.

Jon
Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Guest 1511

Look at my signature, 00s are all I own now. They are perfect (for me).

From your list I highly recommend the Eastman E10 00. It has a 1 13/16th nut though, so if that's a deal breaker keep looking. Don't pay attention to any ad you see that says otherwise, like 1 3/4, they're not and some sites have that info wrong. My second from that list would be the Martin 00-17, which might be my first choice if I found a really nice one.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Never had the pleasure of playing a Larrivee OO. (what they call their 00 size)

I have an O and an OM though, and would have absolutely no concerns about buying a Larrivee of any size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 PM

My Halcyon NL-00 kicks many different kinds of butt.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Hallo, i've a Blueridge BR 341: it's an incredibly loud 00 guitar, primarly a fingerpicker but a good all around guitar. On the other hand, it has a short scale and a very wide nut and string spacing at saddle (which I like). You can take a look at Justin Townes Earles videos on YouTube to get a good idea of how it sounds.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Never had the pleasure of playing a Larrivee OO. (what they call their 00 size)

I have an O and an OM though, and would have absolutely no concerns about buying a Larrivee of any size.
I have a Larrivee OM and fully agree with AZ!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Sharp fret ends are a relatively inexpensive repair job. If you like the guitar, and it's in good condition otherwise, get an estimate from your technician. Use the estimate to negotiate a lower price for the guitar. The caveat here is the condition of the guitar. You'd have to look it over pretty close for cracks and other dry guitar damage.

The three that I've been considering are the Martin 00-17s, the Larrivee 00-40, and the Ibanez AVN-10. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play any of them.

I've tried three others in Larrivee's legacy series. Both of the OM's were great. I bought an 0-40 and returned it because it was basically the same as their parlor - dull and boxy. I've owned two Larrivee 12 frets, 00-3R & 00-3M. Both sounded nice. The 00-40MH is hard to find. Musician's Friend has them from time to time for $1386. You could probably get it for around $1200.

I bought an Ibanez 12 fret dreadnaught. I can't remember it's designation but it was in the Artwood series. It had fret ends like razor blades, but sounded great. (I cleaned those up myself) I've been waiting for a sale to pick up an AVN10 in the hope that it will share a little of the same character. It's way under your budget at $599.

I've tried the Martin 000-17 but found it ho-hum. 12 frets are a whole new ball game, so the 00-17s is still in the pack I'm considering.

The Blueridge 341,361, and 371 are great guitars. As noted in an earlier post, they have pretty hefty necks. The nut is 1 7/8. Works for me as I have large hands. I've owned the 341 and still have the 371.

I have a Martin 00-18v. It is the queen of the 00's. Rich and well balanced with just a little tilt toward bass. 14 frets and probably over your $1500 limit, but definitely worth the extra money.

Happy hunting. It's hard to find moderately priced 12 Fret guitars.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 AM

I have a Larrivee 00-09 Wildwood, a custom rosewood from a few years ago. It is a fantastic guitar in all respects. I believe Larrivee is now offering the 00-09 and 00-05 in the standard series. They also offer the 00-40 in mahogany and rosewood, giving a wide range of 12-fret, 1 3/4", full scale guitars.
I also have a Waterloo WL-12Mh, a 12-fret, 1 3/4", short scale guitar that is an excellent blues guitar. Waterloo offers several 00's in 12 and 14 frets and body configurations that are well worth checking out.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm leaning toward the Larrivee, since the specs are closest to the RK that I loved.

I've never heard of Halcyon, but that looked interesting - I'll definitely look at that...though I'm having trouble finding one for sale.

The wider nut of the Eastman and Blueridge are not deal breakers - as long as the profile isn't too thick. I have smallish hands, but have found all 1 3/4 are not created equal.

Again, I appreciate everyones time for the info.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post

I've tried the Martin 000-17 but found it ho-hum.
I have a Martin 00-18v. It is the queen of the 00's. Rich and well balanced with just a little tilt toward bass. 14 frets and probably over your $1500 limit, but definitely worth the extra money.
All the reviews of the 00-17s are about the same as you say, "ho-hum." So its not on top of my list. I did have the opportunity to try a Martin OM-18 at my local GC, it was indeed special...and I may have walked out of there with it if I didn't know the 14 fret (plus OM body) would have been hell on my shoulders.

Thanks for your insight - I will look at the Ibanez.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:45 AM

If you get a chance try out a Martin CEO-7.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 AM

After 55 years of playing dreds, just got a Martin 00 DB. Sweet, comfortable and killer neck....
Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjguitar View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm leaning toward the Larrivee, since the specs are closest to the RK that I loved.
Re: RK - your nut spec for that model (and many other RKs, including my own RP1-16c) is 1 3/4, but if you measure it you will find it's actually wider, closer to 1 13/16 than to 1 3/4. Keep that reality in mind when looking for "1 3/4" nut guitars, if you really liked the wider neck.

Re: Bridge Lift - That's a very popular affliction with RKs. It might have something to do with the full 25.5 scale and stock medium (not lights) strings bringing a lot of tension to the body, along with a so-so surface prep and glue job of the bridge. I bought mine used, with the bridge re-glued by the PO, and use "lights" on it, with no problems so far.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjguitar View Post
Any info on these or suggestions on guitars of similar specs for an all around 00 would be welcome. Looking to keep it under $1500. Thank you!

Jon
I'd be keeping an eye out for a used Waterloo that matches your specs. I looooove my WL-14L, perfect kicking back and take anywhere for any situation guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion