The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Center - pretty shady

I bought a Collings 000c used from them online in supposed excellent condition and when I got it it had an obvious center seam either crack or separation. You could see and feel it. I returned it the same day it arrived and told them and showed it to them. They agreed and apologized the other store didnt check it first. I said I am sure they knew since it was so obvious.

Today I find the same guitar I returned on Wednesday, 2 days later, listed for sale from the store I returned it to and still in excellent condition. Before this I have never had an issue with GC but this is plain wrong and dishonest to resell it and still call it excellent.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Co...stic-Guitar.gc
Old 04-20-2018, 07:33 PM

I'm a little confused. They're calling it a 12 string 0002, but it's a 6 string guitar.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
I'm a little confused. They're calling it a 12 string 0002, but it's a 6 string guitar.
Yeah I think they meant to say 12 fret
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 PM

SHould be interesting someone emails about it and asks whether it is a 12 string or not and about the condition of the instrument.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:38 PM

Generally when the re-post the listing, they use the same post and re-activate it. I wouldn’t call it dishonest, it’s more like lazy. They simply don’t care.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulaha View Post
Generally when the re-post the listing, they use the same post and re-activate it. I wouldn’t call it dishonest, it’s more like lazy. They simply don’t care.
I have to disagree. Knowing a guitar is structurally unsound and selling it without disclosing it or changing the condition isn’t lazy it’s dishonest
Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I almost bought that one! Similar thing happened to me when I bought a Gallagher Doc Watson. It arrived with no packaging or padding, a whiplash neck and truss issues. Saw it listed later same price, no mention of issues. A shame...

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Musical minimalist

I've had the same scenario happen a couple times - one was a Breedlove Masterclass that had the top sunken about a half inch. I returned it to the local store after it was shipped to me from another. About a week later it was back up with the same condition listing.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I had returned a J-45 to GC because of a center seam issue and they put it right back on the hangers to resell, same price I paid for it. Let the buyer beware is their motto I guess.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM

You cannot trust pictures. The pictures in the GC ad do not give any indication of the crack.

I hate ads that say, "look closely at the pictures for the condition of the guitar". There is lots that you cannot see in ordinary pictures.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I bought a Collings 000c used from them online in supposed excellent condition and when I got it it had an obvious center seam either crack or separation. You could see and feel it. I returned it the same day it arrived and told them and showed it to them. They agreed and apologized the other store didnt check it first. I said I am sure they knew since it was so obvious.

Today I find the same guitar I returned on Wednesday, 2 days later, listed for sale from the store I returned it to and still in excellent condition. Before this I have never had an issue with GC but this is plain wrong and dishonest to resell it and still call it excellent.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Co...stic-Guitar.gc
To me, that webpage is suspicious. It doesn't look like their authentic website. I'm a pressman so I have a pretty good eye for that crap....

What do others think about this.??
Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Yes, GC does what I call "Catch The Fish and Throw It Back". They truly believe that one day someone will keep the guitar, even though there's damage. They're betting that some person along the way will keep it and they will win,,,,they won't. Don't be buying anything from these people! Honestly, you're much better off buying off Reverb than risking all that wasted time fooling with GC.

And one caveat that everyone should remember, if it sounds too good to be true,,,,it probably is!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:37 PM

I think it's legit. Here's the real GC page for the used Collings guitars:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gu...=collings&Ns=r
Old 04-20-2018, 08:48 PM

If you click 'More info' in their ad it says this:

"This product is in "like new" condition and shows little to no signs of use. Free from blemishes, scratches, and user wear. All controls are completely functional."
Old 04-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I have to disagree. Knowing a guitar is structurally unsound and selling it without disclosing it or changing the condition isn’t lazy it’s dishonest
I agree it’s not moral.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion