The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
No, that's the F-250. The F-150 is just a toy.
Steadfast:

Trust me, my F-150 is no toy. It may be only a mini jumbo, but I think it sounds GREAT, and it is one BEAUTIFUL guitar! I might not have gotten my D-18, but I got a steal on one nice guitar!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Bruce:

I bought a set of lighter strings, for my finger's sake. I'm not playing for an audience any time soon, anyway. I bought a set of Martin M140s, but I haven't opened them yet. If you can recommend a particular brand, I still can exchange them. Thanks.
I've got a jumbo with rosewood back and sides, it's a powerful guitar and I was pleased to discover it likes D'Addario Nickel Bronze 11-52's NB1152.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I just bought a brand new Guild F-150 Jumbo acoustic steel string from Sam Ash Online, and I got a ridiculous price. On a $1400 (MSRP) guitar, I only paid $650. And now I know why. Because this guitar left the factory without the strings being adjusted. The action is like a Dobro, and I don't play slide guitar. It's really not THAT bad, but the strings are set pretty high, as if the guy at the Guild factory who files down the nuts and saddles to make the guitar playable was out that day. But I felt I should post a warning on AGF. It's really just a minor oversight, just a simple adjustment which I could fix myself, but it's something SOMEONE should have caught before the guitar got to me. Out of the box, this guitar is UNPLAYABLE! And I'm pretty sure that no one at the Sam Ash Company took this guitar out of the original shipping box as it came from the Guild factory to inspect or play it.

So, I contacted the Guild Company regarding this matter, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm not a luthier, but I know a little bit about guitars, and I'm pretty sure that this a <$100 fix. At this point, I'm not going to nit-pick about the action, so it shouldn't be THAT expensive. I just want the guitar to be playable. I can worry about whether I'm a strummer or a picker later on. So my dream of running away to Nashville is going to be delayed a week or two, but I WILL say one thing: MY apartment smells soooo SWEET, with the scent of freshly-cut Mahogany filling my nose.
Quote:
John W.,

Took my Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo to the nearest music store to be assessed by Pete, the resident repairman. He looked down the fretboard, pulled out an Allen key, put a couple of turns on the truss rod, and now, IT PLAYS LIKE A DREAM!!!!! My fingers are a little sore, but that's to be expected after 35 years. He charged me $5.00. He said he had to charge me something. I felt guilty, so I bought a tuner, some Martin strings and 1/2 dozen Fender picks. Total damage: $40.00. Case Closed...LOL
Seems like Guild and Sam Ash deserve an apology.

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-20-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Need to correct my above comment they are discontinuing the Rosewood models
The OM 150 and F150 are discontinued.
Ralf at LTG says ,
The cutaway models OM-150CE and F-150CE are to be continued, both are in the 2018 catalog.
I am very sorry to hear that. I have no use for a model with the electronics, and a lot of people don't want one with a cut out.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Guild F-150 Warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Seems like Guild and Sam Ash deserve an apology.

Deleted post...
Old 04-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Riakstonic:

I think you're right. I got one of the last Indian rosewood F-150s. That style (mini jumbo) will only be sold with cibo (?) from here on out, if that's the correct name. I just can't understand American business practices. They cut the price to rock-bottom on the better guitar, to make room for the one that is arguably not quite as good. Solid Indian rosewood is a highly prized tonewood. I feel I got away with a steal, just to make room in the warehouse for the newer, less desirable model. I'll bet you the price doesn't go down...LOL. I consider myself very lucky.
Lol all this babble made me go out and buy one lol always wanted F50R but I missed my opportunity and people are asking to much . If look you won’t but few and they’re old models of the F50r’s so where they all out ? Lol

Anyway best guess from me is Cites regulation which for EIR Started the first of year. It can still be bought but just a ton of paperwork making export difficult.
I’m thinking thier regearing for Santos Rosewood best guess .

Other thought not mine this time is USA Guild just Rolled out the new F55R’s it’s possible they don’t want the F150 to compete .

I’m not sure I buy that idea as to me it would mean the F150R is a tone match or close enough of a match to the US F55 . if the above reason were true and I can’t buy that . If you go to LTG you see a very positive review of the new F55 and it’s very promising if you have the money. So I can’t imagine that being reason of worry as it’s more of a night and day thing between the two .

When I get mine I’ll find out , it was a open box model and maybe it was returned because it sounds like crap if the person had any experience or maybe they did realize how big it is lol

Anyway it’s a week out about .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 04-20-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Riakstonic:

I think you're right. I got one of the last Indian rosewood F-150s. That style (mini jumbo) will only be sold with cibo (?) from here on out, if that's the correct name. I just can't understand American business practices. They cut the price to rock-bottom on the better guitar, to make room for the one that is arguably not quite as good. Solid Indian rosewood is a highly prized tonewood. I feel I got away with a steal, just to make room in the warehouse for the newer, less desirable model. I'll bet you the price doesn't go down...LOL. I consider myself very lucky.
Are you talking about a Westerly F-150 and also is it a mini jumbo? I thought they're just jumbos.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

My Guild jumbo prefers light strings and I use John Pearse PB lights on it.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Default Guild F-150 Warning!

Quote:
Riakstonic:

I think you're right. I got one of the last Indian rosewood F-150s. That style (mini jumbo) will only be sold with cibo (?) from here on out, if that's the correct name. I just can't understand American business practices. They cut the price to rock-bottom on the better guitar, to make room for the one that is arguably not quite as good. Solid Indian rosewood is a highly prized tonewood. I feel I got away with a steal, just to make room in the warehouse for the newer, less desirable model. I'll bet you the price doesn't go down...LOL. I consider myself very lucky. [emoji4]

Sipo? That is a more woody, fundamental tone mahogany substitute, not rosewood. Where did you hear this? Anyway, it’s subjective regardless. I have a Sipo B&S Guitar that the vast majority of people would love and assume is SA mahogany tone wise.

It’s also a global business practice, America is always last to attempt it and then fail at it for a time period before joining the status quo. Look at Maton, they’ve been dominating the atypical tonewood acoustic guitar business for decades now and CITES is meaningless to them since they are already ahead of the curve.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
No, that's the F-250. The F-150 is just a toy.
When I was younger and working for my dad in his construction business I drove the F-600 to work everyday. That was a truck.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Are you talking about a Westerly F-150 and also is it a mini jumbo? I thought they're just jumbos.
Yes, it's a Westerly F-150. It's a Mini Jumbo. When I think of Jumbos, I see a Gibson SJ-200, played by the likes of Emmylou Harris or Dolly Parton, or George Harrison.

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-21-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing1208 View Post
Sipo? That is a more woody, fundamental tone mahogany substitute, not rosewood. Where did you hear this? Anyway, it’s subjective regardless. I have a Sipo B&S Guitar that the vast majority of people would love and assume is SA mahogany tone wise.

It’s also a global business practice, America is always last to attempt it and then fail at it for a time period before joining the status quo. Look at Maton, they’ve been dominating the atypical tonewood acoustic guitar business for decades now and CITES is meaningless to them since they are already ahead of the curve.
Little Wing:

I thought that's what someone said in an earlier thread. Someone else said they've discontinued the F-150. Probably for economic reasons. The ONLY thing I don't like about this guitar is the plastic nut and saddle, which is easily fixed. Everything else is top-shelf tonewood, and of course, ebony. I don't yet know what the neck is made of. It LOOKS like rosewood, only a little lighter.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
My Guild jumbo prefers light strings and I use John Pearse PB lights on it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put them on my list.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Steadfast:

Trust me, my F-150 is no toy. It may be only a mini jumbo, but I think it sounds GREAT, and it is one BEAUTIFUL guitar! I might not have gotten my D-18, but I got a steal on one nice guitar!
I agree. I was talking about the truck, "tongue in cheek", of course.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Rob J.:

Yes, it's a Westerly F-150, and yes it's a mini jumbo. The 150 has been discontinued. If you want to buy one you better jump. I got mine at Sam Ash for $650 on eBay. The guy on the phone said there were six left, minus one, that makes 5.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion