The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
WOW!! This is really turning into a really cool guitar. The design concepts are well thought out and flow beautifully together!
Thanks very much... There is still a ways to go in designing and executing a number of features to tie all the elements together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Another needed bump
Thanks for your interest in this build!

Non-steel string flat tops are a bit out of the mainstream here in the AGF "Custom Shop". I sometimes when posting to these threads feel like I am talking to myself... (>50% of the posts are the OP).

That said, happly there are a subset of members like yourself who are interested in builds like this one. I thought this build would be particularly interesting flat top players. While Bill has built many hundreds of guitars for over two decades now, he has never shared his build process publicly. Additionally, he has never made a guitar quite like this one that has elements of both flat top and archtop guitars. This lutherie journey is also a bit of an experiment and relies upon experience and intuition to navigate to achieve the goal he has in his mind.

For those of you planning on attending this years Woodstock Invitational, I have let Bill know that I would be happy to let him display it so attendees will have an opportunity to try this guitar out.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Needs another bump
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Needs another bump
Unfortunately, I don't have any images to share, but I appreciate your interest in this project.

What I can tell you is that Bill is carving the neck and came up with an interesting asymmetric neck heel design that should make access to the upper fingerboard slightly easier. It reminds me a bit of some heels done by California luthier Michi Matsuda. He also made a Cocobolo backstrap veneer for the peghead.

Additionally, we have also discussed a number of body finish ideas and bridge design.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Neck Carve

Bill has now moved on to carving the neck. The figure in the honduran mahogany neck blank can now begin to be seen. I am glad that we decided to stay with a one-piece neck. He created a small volute at the headstock transition. A figured, plainsawn cocobolo veneer can be seen laminated to the back of the peghead. The brass plates of the Rodgers tuners should contrast nicely against this back drop. After some consideration we decided to stay with a conventional symmetrical heel. The dark “s” shaped mark is simply a sketched pencil line when he was still contemplating an asymmetric approach.

More when I get it...

Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default What's Next...

This week Bill will fret the neck with Jescar EVO Gold 47104 wire, install a Cocobolo heel cap and glue the neck to the body. Because this is design is somewhat experimental, I believe Bill will again go the extra step to install a temporary bridge and tailpiece to see how the top reacts to differing tailpiece angles when strung up to determine the optimal down pressure on the top before making the real bridge and tailpiece.

We still have a number of important aesthetic decisions to make on the design of the bridge, tailpiece and finger rest. We also need to decide timbre wise on an ebony or bone saddle. Lastly, we have tossed a number of different body finish ideas back and forth that we will hold off on until we see the whole thing in "white".
Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Lovely neck and backstrap...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Lovely neck and backstrap...
Thanks...

The tuners should definitely "pop" on the Cocobolo veneer...

Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Neck on!

Bill has finished carving the neck and has glued it to the body. For the first time, we can now begin to see how the design elements of the body binding and rosette work with the fingerboard and peghead. The gestural arc of the Cocobolo/Ebony junction on the fingerboard is visually reinforced by the curve of the venetian cutaway. The same sweep is visually completed in the Cocobolo/Honduran Mahogany junction in the headplate veneer.

This shot from the side, not only shows the beautiful curl in the figured Honduran Mahogany, but the gentle but complex arch of the top and the negative neck angle. Also note the added depth of the body which is about 4-1/8" deep at the end block. Traditional archtops do not have tapered backs like flat tops and will more typically be 2-3/4" to 3-3/8" in depth.

In these assembly shots you can see the neck extension, the EVO 47104 Gold fretwire, and the oval shaped MOP side position markers. You also can see how the Cocobolo body binding visually ties into the Cocobolo portion of the fingerboard. You can also see the purfling beneath the fingerboard that Steve Kinnaird commented on a few posts back.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-10-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

This shot from the side, not only shows the beautiful curl in the figured Honduran Mahogany, but the gentle but complex arch of the top and the negative neck angle. Also note the added depth of the body which is about 4-1/8" deep at the end block. Traditional archtops do not have tapered backs like flat tops and will more typically be 2-3/4" to 3-3/8" in depth.

Whoa, fantastic angle and perspective. What a beauty! This is really coming together nicely. You've got to be stoked.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Whoa, fantastic angle and perspective. What a beauty! This is really coming together nicely. You've got to be stoked.

Steve
Yeah Steve, it is very gratifying to see this one come together...

Like my last project with Bruce in 2015 (which was a wonderful success!), this one is also a bit of an experiment in lutherie. Bill has never built one like this, but I trust the mastery gained from 300+ guitars of experience will help guide him to greatness here. I also know that he is having a lot of fun with this project, which is in my experience an added success factor...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-11-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Process

Given the somewhat experimental nature of this particular commission (e.g. combining elements of an archtop with a flat top), Bill is taking some somewhat unusual steps during this build.

Now that the neck has been attached to the body, Bill can go ahead and string it up again (he did this before the body was even closed using a very clever and interesting fixture to evaluate his top carve). He wants to understand the proper amount of down pressure on the bridge to make the guitar voice sound at its best.

This will provide him insight into the bridge mass and tailpiece angle to achieve this ahead of making them. On a normal x-braced carved archtop this is of course unnecessary because he established these parameters years ago and after making hundreds of them can simply navigate by dimensions and tap tones.

So no pictures today, but I thought that I would journal an interesting process...
Old 03-12-2016, 01:43 PM

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks John...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Bridge Plate

I want to share some of the empirical, experimental process of creating this hybrid guitar.

Bill strung up the guitar with a temporary bridge/saddle and tailpiece today. After playing it a bit and evaluating the timbre he thought that he might be able to add some "weight" to the mids by experimenting with adding a bridge plate.

The archtop had been fully carved and the body assembled and a bridge plate needs to be shape fitted to the arch of the top. Fortunately, Bill had originally prototyped the experimental arch with pine billet. He applied sandpaper to pine prototype to shape fit the top face of a maple bridge plate to shape of the arch. The other side of the bridge was hand shaped to make a uniform thickness, compound bridge plate.

He double stick taped in place and found the character of timbre of the midrange shifted to his liking. He then removed it and then properly glued it in place. So now we have an oval holed archtop, with a flatter arch and recurve, carbon fiber reinforced scalloped x-brace with a maple bridge plate. Here is a mirror shot of the bridge plate.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 PM

Bob,

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the pics and back story with us.

For Fretboard Journal issue #9 Spring, 2008), I wrote an in-depth piece on Kim Walker's similar project. In his attempt to bridge (pun intended) the sonic landscape between archtop and flattop, Kim used Brazilian rosewood for the back and sides and, like Mr. Comins, experimented mightily.

An in progress pic:

Completed:

And, most apropos of your fabulous thread, the full text of the article.

Thanks again for updating this thread. I'm happily hanging on every word and photograph!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop