The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-24-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
My hearing is not nearly refined enough for this, but I do know some classical guitarists who insist that pre-stretching the strings like others here (and I) do can cause annoying pitch variations due to the (treble) strings stretching unevenly along their length. The claim is that this leaves some bits of the string thinner than others, and that those minute variations cause a cacophonous effect that is especially vexing as one climbs the fretboard. This strikes me as plausible, but, again, my ears don't hear well enough to notice.
I have heard of this too. Most quality strings stabilize fairly soon. Quality tuners help too.Some tuners on good classical guitars go upwards from a few hundred dollars.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinLA View Post
Why does anyone need more than one uke ??!
Well let’s see. There is soprano, concert, tenor and baritone sizes. Tenor and concert can be strung low G as well as reentrant. There is spruce, cedar, redwood, mahogany, koa, myrtle etc. etc. etc for tone woods. Also laminate, carbon fibre, ekoa and plastic as alternate materials. Let’s not forget standard scale and than long neck, usually a 2” longer scale and neck length on the same body size.

Same question could be asked “Why does anyone need more than one” about guitars. Because we can and variety is the spice of life.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Well let’s see. There is soprano, concert, tenor and baritone sizes. Tenor and concert can be strung low G as well as reentrant. There is spruce, cedar, redwood, mahogany, koa, myrtle etc. etc. etc for tone woods. Also laminate, carbon fibre, ekoa and plastic as alternate materials. Let’s not forget standard scale and than long neck, usually a 2” longer scale and neck length on the same body size.

Same question could be asked “Why does anyone need more than one” about guitars. Because we can and variety is the spice of life.
I think it pretty much can be summed up as "if your chosen primary hobby is X, you need N number of X things, because you're really into X".
Old 10-31-2020, 07:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Be careful not to stretch them sideways..this can break a nut.
Good call !! Never thought of that. Lucky I never did !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical