The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Has anyone tried the Guitar Lift?

It’s a very simplistic guitar lift hence the name guitar lift! I’ve seen about five reviews on YouTube and they all start skeptical but all of them have loved it and now currently use it. I suppose that it keeps the back away from your body and the weight of it almost locks the guitar in place. I am currently using a Barnett SageWork with magnets. I use the NeckUp on my acoustics. I have two classical guitars that are both French polish and suction cups usually don’t stick very well. The guitar lift seems to come with little sheets of cling on vinyl that are said to hold a guitar almost as well as if it had a poly finish. They are $100 from Strings By Mail which is the US distributor. The price is a little steep to try so I was wondering if anyone out there currently uses it?

Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1/2 plate version bought mainly to put my steel-string acoustics into a comfortable position, especially one that is slightly smaller than an OM. I tend to play on the right leg crossed over the left and found this wasn't comfortable for longer sessions.

Generally my findings are positive - similar to the video. In my case with the shorter height of the 1/2 plate I only use 3 suction points and these are solid on this melamine finished guitar. No adverse affect of the rear fixing on sound maybe even an improvement as it does keep a slight amount of separation with my body. BTW I reversed the plate for the right leg profile.

On some of my guitars I need the film pads to prevent the suction caps slipping after a while.

I have tried it on my classical but don't play it so much now, and being used to playing my steel-string guitars on the right leg, I find I don't adjust well to a steep angle. The 1/2 plate is therefore OK, and even reversed (as noted above) I can use 3 suction points. I sit a lot more 'square' and relaxed than when using a footstool.

An added 'bonus' is that my guitars still sit on my stands (A frame) and the low profile and weight of the Guiatrlift adds stability.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 10-06-2020, 03:50 PM

I had all the guitar supports mentioned by the OP and I’ve found the guitarlift the most stable. Moreover, it lets the back of the guitar resonates, which I like as a side effect. It’s pricey but probably worth it. Only beware of the correct size, both for the guitar, the position you want to achieve and the size (diameter) of your leg. Buy different models and return those which don’t work eventually.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:30 PM

I got osteoporosis from long term, high dose prednisone use and had a number of compression fractures in my spine. I cannot play classical guitar in a "classical" position using a footrest. I got a GuitarLift and have been pleased with how stable it keeps the guitar while playing in a more "standard" position. In order to keep from twisting my back, at all, I put the GL behind the lower bout of the guitar and rest it on my right thigh. Looks like I'm holding it in the classical position. The size I bought has a slightly too small leg rest part, but I'm getting skinnier all the time.......
Old 10-12-2020, 01:09 AM

You might want to check the new guitar support that Bradford recently tested and reviewed. As for the cling sheets be very careful which you get. Some will really ruin a "frence polish" and "nitrocellulose lacquer" finish.

I use the Barnett Sagework on my higher end Burguet classical because of it's lacquer finish and I use the Tenuto Slim without a cling-sheet on my lower end Cordoba C10 Parlor because it has a hard as nails Poly finish.

If you feel you need cling-sheets look into these: Grafix ClingViynl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmC...nHVlHK9-pT4QvV

the manufacturers link https://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/
Old 10-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldduc View Post
I got osteoporosis from long term, high dose prednisone use and had a number of compression fractures in my spine. I cannot play classical guitar in a "classical" position using a footrest. I got a GuitarLift and have been pleased with how stable it keeps the guitar while playing in a more "standard" position. In order to keep from twisting my back, at all, I put the GL behind the lower bout of the guitar and rest it on my right thigh. Looks like I'm holding it in the classical position. The size I bought has a slightly too small leg rest part, but I'm getting skinnier all the time.......
We are in the same or similar boats. I was hit by a car while cycling and have had 6 spine surgeries. I am now fused through my entire lumbar spine to my pelvis and need to avoid any slouching since that can only occur at T10-L1. I use the NeckUp and Barnett Sagework as I said in the OP, but it GuitarLift just looks more stable and I’m nervous that the magnets are so strong that one day I might crack the side if I don’t slide the Sagework into place gently enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
You might want to check the new guitar support that Bradford recently tested and reviewed. As for the cling sheets be very careful which you get. Some will really ruin a "frence polish" and "nitrocellulose lacquer" finish.

I use the Barnett Sagework on my higher end Burguet classical because of it's lacquer finish and I use the Tenuto Slim without a cling-sheet on my lower end Cordoba C10 Parlor because it has a hard as nails Poly finish.

I went ahead and bought the Grafix ClingVinyl. I thought I’d try that for a few weeks with the suction cups from my NeckUp and if that works well I may just order the GuitarLift. Thank you for all your input.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

This image always comes to mind at the mention...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM

That thing does seem terribly awkward and massive but he did give it a good review. I have tried a few and always end up going back to a foot stool. The ones with the magnets I liked the best. I like how he said that thing is very solid and secure. If only it wasn't so awkward.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post

Thanks for the heads up, Always Learning.
I was unaware of the Mundo support. It looks wonderfully functional.
I’ll give it a try.
Best,
Tom
Old 10-16-2020, 09:59 PM

I don't use a foot stool or a lift, instead I have guitar straps on every string instrument I own. Classical guitar, steel guitar, or ukulele all now have a pair of strap buttons installed. So simple and easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical