The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Actually, my instructor has spent quite some time with me on posture, seating and hand positioning. He even made me bring my playing chair in to access it's suitability, which made me chuckle a bit. He has even spent an entire lesson on nail shape, thumb positioning, fretting and picking.

He is a third generation guitar instructor and has been teaching for quite a long time. www.stockdaleguitar.com is his website. It's also where I go to download his instruction booklets for my lessons.

He has been working with me on learning to actually read music, learning correct muscle memory and arpeggiation. Like I said, I have been ripping away at my Bronco since I was a teen, but never any "real" playing. Now that I have some time in and have been practicing proper technique, it has come to feel much more natural for sure. So much so, that I find myself playing my new Tele in classical position all the time. It is actually easier to play that way now.

I always scoffed at the idea of taking lessons and wanting to do it my own way, turns out, I was definitely wrong. Learning to play properly is a game changer. It has me hungry to learn more, especially now that I am learning to read music as well.

Last edited by BillyMays; 10-01-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:44 PM

Just watch You Tube classical guitarist. If you look at the best ones, they all are sitting down - for a reason. Don't develop bad habits, they are almost impossible to break. Good luck with your studies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical