The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
How comes that makers of stands don’t cover the guitar touching part with a fabric that is nitro save?
This is a problem for many many years now, there are lots of damaged guitars (I have one too) and it should not be so difficult to solve that problem. Imagine the interior of a guitar case would damage the finish!
My guess is because a stand isn't meant to be used as a long term solution for holding your guitar. It's completely safe for doing what it was designed to do, hold it for short periods. I would never leave my guitar in a stand for an extended period.

And your point about the case should be instructive. There's nothing in it that could harm your instrument. The maker designed it to protect your instrument under most conditions, indefinitely.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-02-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I modify mine to better facilitate the way I use them. I pick up and set my guitar down often. This mod makes it as safe as I can make it and I don't need to be real gentile when setting the guitar on them.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1604326222
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201102_080437[200].jpg (89.0 KB, 111 views)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Try to hang it on the wall instead...?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:30 AM

I totally get leaving your guitar out, it's one of those oft-recommended "if your guitar is out of sight, you may play it less" that I subscribe to. That said, as others have mentioned, I would be wary of leaving your guitar too long on any stand. Even the "hanging on the wall" ones. Recently I tried out a maple Martin at GC, it wasn't even 2 years old, but it had a light colored maple neck going up to the headstock. I could clearly see discoloration where it had been held by the wall-hanger. Now granted most guitars have very dark necks so any color change will be less (or not) visible, but I have seen it first-hand so I'm wary of relying on any type of stand for too long (I have a Hercules with the neck support as well as a Pro Line which is just the base with back support.

What I do with those two is rotate which of my guitars I keep on stands every couple of days (and yes I know it's a luxury and not everyone has multiple guitars to switch up). Even when I have the same two out, I will switch them from stand to stand, since they have very different contact points with the guitar. And when I do the swap and put two back in their cases, I wipe them down with a microfiber cloth and Dunlop 65 cleaner, not just for any possible residue from the stand, but from my body as well.

If I only had one guitar and one stand...well I'd likely replicate what I'm doing now and buy a second stand (they're cheap) with different contact points and cycle them between the two. Or use the cotton cloth solution others here have espoused. Anything left on a guitar for an extended period of time, whether it's contact points from a stand, leaving a capo attached, headstock tuners, etc. will have a wearing effect on a finish. How much depends on the time they're left exposed and the amount of reactivity the material has to the finish.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I use D and A Starfish stands and have never had a problem. I can leave my guitars in their stands all day but generally tuck them away in their cases at bedtime. As already posted here, lots of ways to protect your guitars with cloth coverings where guitar finish contact is made.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
....with cork cut from a thin sheet of cork.
Yes, I usually use cork myself to cut my pieces of cork.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 11-04-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I have a 2 guitar Hercules hanging stand. My only issue with those is that if you get a guitar with a slim headstock you'll have the guitar basically hanging by the tuners. I had that issue with a Collings D1A and that Hercules stand. You would take it off and see the grooves in the rubber from the gears of the tuners on the back of the headstock.
Hercules has a solution for this very scenario - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SABEgJ2Y_D_BwE

They are a must for a tele and I also use them for my D1ATS & OM1A BAAA without any finish issues.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
My guess is because a stand isn't meant to be used as a long term solution for holding your guitar. It's completely safe for doing what it was designed to do, hold it for short periods. I would never leave my guitar in a stand for an extended period.

And your point about the case should be instructive. There's nothing in it that could harm your instrument. The maker designed it to protect your instrument under most conditions, indefinitely.
I never saw a ˋmanual‘ or description of a stand that says not to use it for long term. Also, what means ˋlong term´?

I just wondered why the stand makers don’t use the same material as case makers for parts of the stand that touch the guitar.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-05-2020, 11:16 AM

I bought these to cover the plastic foam touching the guitar:

https://www.amazon.com/ARIA-AGB-S-gu...%2C194&sr=8-41

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I never saw a ˋmanual‘ or description of a stand that says not to use it for long term. Also, what means ˋlong term´?

I just wondered why the stand makers don’t use the same material as case makers for parts of the stand that touch the guitar.
I didn't need a manual with my guitar that told me to keep it in the case if I wanted it secured and safe. Maybe they should do that.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-05-2020, 04:12 PM

People should start with a basic understanding that your guitar's finish (primarily your nice guitars) are generally not "fully cured" in some cases for many years. It's just the nature of it, and the amount that they put on, buff, shine etc. to provide as much protection and shine as they can in as minimal a layer as possible to keep it resonant.

And pretty much everything reacts with everything to some degree, just the laws of nature/chemistry. Even something that is "inert" at the time is still exposed to the air/humidity/dirt/grime in your house and those can settle on the "inert" contact points and, if your guitar is kept on there and not moved for long periods, can have an effect.

Now to minimize the possibility, simply storing your guitar every few days/weeks (and wiping it down, at minimum on the contact points) will mitigate any issues. But leaving something in contact with something else for weeks on end, especially if your home environment isn't the most friendly to guitars (i.e. humidity and temp could go above recommended specs, again the airborne dust/grime you can't see but somehow accumulates over time on your flat surfaces and blinds)...yeah all that stuff plays a part slowly, over time.

On something like the Hercules stand, where the main contact points are on either side of where the headstock meets the neck, which are traditionally not gloss and have dark woods, you could possibly leave it there for months on end and whatever happens may not be easily visible to the naked eye. However as I mentioned there was a less than 2 year old Martin with a light colored maple neck/headstock at Guitar Center where there was clear yellowing from the contact with the wall hanger they use there. Continuing with the Hercules example, rather than cradle arms at the bottom, which would contact a lot of the tail-side part of your guitar, there is instead just to small contact points where your binding would touch pads. If you have dark binding, again you may never notice this. If you have ivoroid or light maple binding, you might.

And overall, it's a question of how much do you even care if there is slight discoloration over years? I never buy my guitars with the thought of resale, I buy them with the hope I'll enjoy them for years to come. That said I do try and take care of them to a moderate, but not OCD, degree. But I take care of most of my stuff of value in the same way, not just my guitars.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Yes, I usually use cork myself to cut my pieces of cork.
The K&M Heli 2 Cork has a cork outer coating built in. I have a few of these, and have never had trouble with guitars falling over, et cetera.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I didn't need a manual with my guitar that told me to keep it in the case if I wanted it secured and safe. Maybe they should do that.
I sense that you are want to miss my point completely and try to educate me how to store my guitars.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I sense that you are want to miss my point completely and try to educate me how to store my guitars.
I understand your question completely and I answered it by saying that they don't case material on a stand because a stand is meant to hold your guitar after its taken from the case, storing it there for a reasonable period of time, not indefinitely, and they see no reason to try to add case material to the stand.

Evidently you wish they would, and we all have those type of wishes.

Cases are for "storing" guitars, not stands. That's just the way it is, however, we as adults can "place" them anywhere we like when we buy them. I would never advocate a guitar player losing the right to leave his guitar "sitting out" in a stand. Sorry for the confusion.
Giffin Vikta
‘91 Les Paul Standard
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion