The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-01-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
This may expose my ignorance, but I’m still missing something. How does one memorize the melody if one does not have tabs or melody notes? I’m really having trouble filling in this gap in my learning process. What am I missing? Ear training?
Though I prefer notation, an ear and a brain will do the trick. You will have to hear it enough to get it fixed in your mind.

Going back to the larger questions you posed, there seems to be 2 schools of thought. One is to play it "right" (meaning how someone they like played it, usually the first or most poplar rendition). The opposite side of that coin is to make it your own and not pay so much attention to how others have performed it. And there's lots of room in-between. Commonly, the first time through an instrumental, it is played pretty much as written. Then you begin to branch out, usually keeping the chord structure unchanged.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write