The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-07-2023, 09:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I've never even attempted it but I'm curious as to whether you consider it more mixing than mastering or the other way around. I've seen people fall on both sides of that.
It is definitely mastering. What is sent is set up as stereo premixes of vocals, drums, rhythm section, and solos, on a pop recording. Each has its effects mixed on its stem or there is an associated stem for effects. The stems are set up so that when all are lined up at 0db, the stereo mix from the source studio is reproduced. Basically, all that is done with it is to adjust these premixes to bring out the best in the mix. The business of vocals up or drums up or rhythm section back. It often amounts to little dynamic changes where, in the original mix, something obscures something else. Barring that, there might be problems induced by bad monitoring such as overly bright or overly dull drums or them too loud. Those can be dealt with independently of the other tracks.

So it isn't mixing, it is just tweaking details in as non-destructive a way as possible.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The stems are set up so that when all are lined up at 0db, the stereo mix from the source studio is reproduced.
Ahh... there's the part I didn't know and it makes sense now. I didn't realize the completed mix was provided. It doesn't sound nearly so intimidating now. In fact, it sounds like it might be a fun thing to take on.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD