The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

My "favorite" guitar depends on what song I'm playing. Each typically has a sonic texture that fits a given song better than others. As to what listeners think or feel about what guitar I'm playing has never been my concern.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-06-2024, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Collings CJ35
Old 05-06-2024, 09:32 AM

Is You Favorite Guitar To Play the Favorite For Your Listners?

My Listeners? Truthfully, I could care less what my dogs and cats think of my favorite guitar.

Tommy
Old 05-06-2024, 10:04 AM

I have never once had a comment on a gig that one guitar sounded better than another.

Possibly because I try to gig with only one guitar as much as humanly possible But more likely because people don't care.

At home, my wife prefers my nylon string guitars. But probably because I play them quieter

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-06-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I have never once had a comment on a gig that one guitar sounded better than another.

Possibly because I try to gig with only one guitar as much as humanly possible But more likely because people don't care.

At home, my wife prefers my nylon string guitars. But probably because I play them quieter
I have had a couple of gig comments (from other guitarists) that they like my acoustic archtop - probably because it sounds very different to a flatop. My wife liked my D-18 - she thought it sounded sweet. I struggled to play it in "my" style - it was just too much guitar for me in many respects. She doesn't like me playing the archtop (except at gigs, where she admits it works well).

I sort of know that I could find another "sweet" guitar that would work for us both - and probably for under $500. In fact, I could switch my Art & Lutherie Legacy from monel mediums to PB lights and change my pick, and she would think it was a new "sweet" guitar!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had compliments from audience-members numerous times about how good all of my acoustic guitars sound, but I’ve never been told that any of them is preferred to the others. Neither do I have a ‘favourite’ - each has its purpose which it fulfills perfectly for me, and all are equal in my affections.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-06-2024, 11:28 AM

A few random thoughts on this.

Most playing-out situations do not lend themselves to a lot of one-on-one personal interaction with audiences, and when it does happen, it is usually about the performance, not the guitars.

Used to be that most 'Open Mic' situations were just that. There's a lot plug into the house soundboard situations now, and requires a guitar with pick-ups installed.
(At least half of my guitars don't have pick-ups, and I don't like to plug in anyway. That's for electric guitars; all acoustic guitars tend to sound the same to me when plugged in.)

On the other side of the coin, do pay attention to what people at small gatherings have to say, as they will often share opinions about your instruments that you might not ordinarily get. This includes informal jams/mini-concerts, and also friends and family gatherings.

I have taken to often bringing a guitar now to such gatherings, and always bring a guitar when requested. My last acquisition is the all-solid-spruce/rosewood Guild F-1512 large Jumbo 12 string guitar, with no on-board-electronics. Everyone seems to love the sound of this guitar, and I have gotten a lot of comments to that effect. (Plus a few on my performance; I'm getting jealous. )

My point is that while people may notice a lot, the chances of communicating can be few and far between. Informal gatherings can be great sources of feedback, as everyone is in a casual setting.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks. And the only guitar I would plug in now would be my last remaining electric, a cherry sunburst Les Paul standard. Truth is, I haven't plugged-in in years.

Be well and always play your best (you never know who is listening),

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-07-2024 at 12:08 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 05-06-2024, 01:36 PM

My experience has been if you want the audience to comment/interact about your instrument, you bring something they haven’t heard or seen before.

My 10 string custom mandola, 10 string custom mandocello or 10 string Hardanger viola all do this. They’re visually striking, different and not guitars. The audience doesn’t know what to expect. So they listen a little more attentively (at first at least). This also leaves me free to play whatever songs I want, which I do. Then I’ll play something still obscure but familiar and that pulls them in further.

It’s commonly stated that people want the familiar - “play something we know!” But to most audiences all acoustic guitars are the same. Usually only the other musicians or audiophiles will comment about the nuances of tone they hear (while playing your mic’ed or pickup equipped guitar through a sound system…)

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-06-2024, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My experience has been if you want the audience to comment/interact about your instrument, you bring something they haven’t heard or seen before.
For me the squareneck resonator does the trick. Bonus points for the Hipshot bridge that flips between open D and G.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-06-2024, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post

My Listeners? Truthfully, I could care less what my dogs and cats think of my favorite guitar.

Tommy
I think my cat would prefer I didn't play the resonator but that's the price she pays for food, shelter and catnip.

Last edited by Bluenose; 05-06-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
In over 60 years of playing, I have not once thought about what others might think about how my guitar sounds to them......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I honestly have no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
.....I never gave people a choice, nor asked questions......
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I have never once had a comment on a gig that one guitar sounded better than another. .......)
Ditto, ditto, ditto.... ditto. No like button so I'll quote them.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:12 AM

My listeners are usually the cats. I don't think they're particularly bothered about differences in guitar tone.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I have 4 guitars that are distinctly different and complement one another. My favorite one to play is my Yamaha FS5. If I pick up that guitar in the morning, I will play it all day! With that said, when I'm playing for friends or family they prefer my Yamaha LS16 rosewood. All of them think it sounds the best. To my ears sitting behind the guitar I prefer the FS5 which is mahogany. As a footnote, they are both strung with Elixer Nanoweb 12's. So now when people come over, I reach for the LS16.
It's an interesting question. Your audience is quite a bit different than a typical "gig audience" in that they've heard both instruments and are actually listening. My ear prefers rosewood over hog 99% of the time, so the results don't surprise me, but I'm sure there are other ears that feel the exact opposite.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-07-2024, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

My 10 string custom mandola, 10 string custom mandocello or 10 string Hardanger viola all do this. They’re visually striking, different and not guitars. The audience doesn’t know what to expect. So they listen a little more attentively (at first at least). This also leaves me free to play whatever songs I want, which I do. Then I’ll play something still obscure but familiar and that pulls them in further.

It’s commonly stated that people want the familiar - “play something we know!” But to most audiences all acoustic guitars are the same. Usually only the other musicians or audiophiles will comment about the nuances of tone they hear (while playing your mic’ed or pickup equipped guitar through a sound system…)
You are absolutely right.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
It's an interesting question. Your audience is quite a bit different than a typical "gig audience" in that they've heard both instruments and are actually listening. My ear prefers rosewood over hog 99% of the time, so the results don't surprise me, but I'm sure there are other ears that feel the exact opposite.
I don't gig! My audience is friends who come over for dinner and ask me to play a few songs. They question why I have more than one guitar. I play the different guitars so they can hopefully hear the difference in tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fs5, ls16