The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM

Default Budget to mid-end slope shoulder dread options

My recurring desire for some slope shoulder dread tone is cropping up again. Just wondering what you guys would recommend.

There is obviously the venerable Gibson J-45/J-35s and the J-15, all of which I have tried and enjoyed and could probably afford, especially in the used market. I’d love to own a Collings or a Kopp but they’re a bit out of reach for me right now. Eastman has the E10SS and E20SS that I’ve heard good things about. Other than that, I’m not sure what’s out there. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM

If you are fond of the "Gibson" slope tone i.e. J45 tone etc., in my experience, only a Gibson will give you that. Now, Kopp, Fairbanks, and Walker can nail a Gibsony tone, but those are quite pricey. The Eastman slopes are great guitars, but don't sound like a Gibson to me, they have their own tonal signature. Same for the Collings slopes.
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 PM

If you're okay with looking used, a J45 can be had quite reasonably. "Only a Gibson Is Good Enough".
Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 PM

If a Gibson is within reach, that’s where I’d focus the search. Go pick a winner!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM

If you are in the US, Elderly Instruments is in the process of expanding their Farida-built line of guitars called Old Town, or OT. Current models they are offering compare well with the Gibson LG style acoustics. They are showing new models coming that are slope shouldered dreds that are described to be spec’d as pretty J45-esque. They are modestly priced guitars with laminated back and sides of mahogany, pau farro, or maple, depending on the model. They also have one with solid mahogany back and sides the sounds like more of an AJ type slope shoulder with the 25.5 inch scale.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
If you are fond of the "Gibson" slope tone i.e. J45 tone etc., in my experience, only a Gibson will give you that. Now, Kopp, Fairbanks, and Walker can nail a Gibsony tone, but those are quite pricey. The Eastman slopes are great guitars, but don't sound like a Gibson to me, they have their own tonal signature. Same for the Collings slopes.
100% agree! My old Eastman E10SS and SCGC VJ were both great guitars, but neither sounded like a Gibson. In the last two months I have seen two J15's, including my own, sell for less than $900. J15's obviously have the Gibson tone. I'd start there. I'd also look at an E10SS or E20SS. They can be found in the $700-800 range quite easily and have a great sound, just not very Gibson sounding

Also if it's just the slope shoulder aesthetic you're after and you like 12 fretters, you may want to consider a Larrivee SD40. I have one in mahogany/Sitka, and it sounds and plays fantastic. But again, not a Gibson tonal palette.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 07-19-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 AM

I play an SJ and love the J45, but I genuinely love the tones of the J35, J15, J29 too and there are always J45 Limited run series out there. One of the best most uniq slopes i ever played was a J45 Engelmann/RW that id hav bought if funds had allowed.

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 AM

I'd keep an eye out for a second hand recent J35 - to my ear I think they actually sound better than the 'standard' J45 - and they're not crazy expensive new so you should be able to pick up a decent one second hand for what I'd consider 'mid-price'.

Failing that I've been really impressed with the current Sigma take on the Gibson guitars - https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitar...eries/jm-sg45/
Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if you can beat this;

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/m...639450431.html
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 AM

A Martin CEO-4 can be had for less than one might think and it is a completely under rated martin
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 AM

May I suggest looking out for an Advanced Jumbo as well ?
I know I'm repeating myself, but I really think its the best (acoustic) guitar Gibson makes. The longer scale may not be as easy to play, but it gives it a great tone IMHO.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 AM

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500. Either the 500M or 500R (mahogany or rosewood) would be $500 or so and are the best of the line. They are long scale so they are more like an AJ than a J-45. They are out of production so Craigslist or GC used.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
There is obviously the venerable Gibson J-45/J-35s and the J-15, all of which I have tried and enjoyed and could probably afford, especially in the used market. I’d love to own a Collings or a Kopp but they’re a bit out of reach for me right now. Eastman has the E10SS and E20SS that I’ve heard good things about. Other than that, I’m not sure what’s out there. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Sounds like you've got the bases pretty much covered. You might consider a Waterloo JK, or one of the Santa Cruz slope dreads (used if funds don't stretch). My go-to is a SCGC VS.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 AM

This Larrivee SD-40R is an interesting option... forum sponsor is closing his shop, so price is verrrrry low, and you might be able to snag it for a lower offer than the listed price:

https://reverb.com/item/13015118-larrivee-sd-40r
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Hi Canyon,
I'll agree with the advice to be on the lookout for a used Gibson slope. I play a J 50, the plain top version of the 45. Sometimes they can be had cheaper because some folks are crazy for bursts.

I love the look of sunbursts, but am more interested in what a guitar sounds like.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion